Everquest Confessions

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
money is so crazy in EQ now. i was joking with somebody in general chat the other day and he sent me tons of expensive twink gear via parcel and 50,000 plats. i'm not that funny

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
In my case, I'd spend 5 minutes zoning from Qeynos Hills to West Karana only to be bounced back to Qeynos Hills for another 5 minutes....then trying again.
There was an early bug in EQ where you'd be put in the safe zone on logging in if you ended up in a location that had no viable 'location' for a player to spawn in - common places were corners.

For example, in Siren's Grotto, if you camped in the right location, you would be evacced to the safe coords because the last position the client would send would have an invalid z location (0,0,0) when the server calculated your saved position.

EQ position updates were rounded to int16 from float, so that's not surprising. If your X/Y was close enough to a wall to round to where your Z location was out of bounds when positioning on the floor, and you camped at that position, it'd teleport you to safe coords on login.

Kinda hilarious, but also great way to travel in Siren's Grotto without a druid to get to WW.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Let me put all this shit in order of least to worst.
1. Started the game in classic, knew about looting corpses. Told someone I'd drag their corpse in CB, looted full Bronze and never looked back.
2. After coming back from an FTX in the Army, I had a lot of free time to play EQ. One of the female officers invited me up to Canada to see her. She bought a round trip ticket for me, went up there and she was a fat slob. Basically hid in a hotel room for a week waiting for my return ticket.
3. Play P99 in 2010/2011 - Pay for the guild leaders wife to come see me for a day and play on the lake. We do "bad things" and I sent her packing. Awkward membership in the guild the rest of the time until I quit playing.

Some of you guys have way more elaborate stories though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

For example, in Siren's Grotto, if you camped in the right location, you would be evacced to the safe coords because the last position the client would send would have an invalid z location (0,0,0) when the server calculated your saved position.

Kinda hilarious, but also great way to travel in Siren's Grotto without a druid to get to WW.
That is exactly what I did when I didnt have any invis up. That was such a commonly abused mechanic.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
That is exactly what I did when I didnt have any invis up. That was such a commonly abused mechanic.
most of my guild did that. right in that corner as you zone in from cobalt scar where the walrus is. i did it too at first, but i wanted to learn how to run through the zone because i would take forever to log out and then back in when i could run across the zone in 30 seconds. when they fixed that glitch it was like a complete shitshow. half the guild didnt have an underwater breathing device. almost nobody knew how to swim it seemed and almost nobody knew how to get across the zone. so because i was a shaman who could cast EB and knew the zone well, it was up to me and a few others to CR half the guild. i also kept more than one underwater breathing piece of gear on me to loan out to friends. i never got those back either. i chalked it all up to growing pains of new memebers. we had just reformed the guild so i figured it came with the territory. then came PoP and Plane of Air and Plane of Water. son of a bitch, it was Siren's Grotto all over again. members keeling over because thy didnt redo their endless breath buffs. members not wearing breathing gear. it was almost as bad in The Grey , but people knew how to run through the zone to Ssra right before they died of asphyxiation. some didnt and we had to rez them too. our guild did almost all the server firsts and some game firsts, but getting us to the places we needed to kick ass was like herding kittens

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
When I was young, I was a little shit in this game. I probably had eight accounts banned before LDoN. Most of it was just simple training and stuff but my favorite was training Velketor to zone line. I don't know if this was a glitch or an actual backdoor that existed then, but I was able to go up the spider ramps near the entrance and go inside a wall that led right to Velketor. Pulling him out was easy and then I'd just bring him to zone and watch him destroy before zoning. I only played a bard so I never got to fully enjoy watching my destruction. The reason I think it was a glitch was that later on with a different PC I couldn't get through the wall and the people seemed to have no idea how Velk could be at zone when the group at upper dogs was just fine.

Edit: Looking at the map now, it appears there is a one way tunnel but it always worked both ways for my bard before I got the new PC. I don't think I could have possibly targeted on him and cast from that range but maybe that's what I did -- like a failed lull? It's been so long I don't remember.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
I played a high elf and knew felwithe like the back of my hand. If you went through the building for the paladin/cleric guild you ended up on a bridge at the back of the zone. If you ran and jumped from the edge you could end up on top of the wall above the water, and then run around the top of the zone. Eventually it led to the buildings and I could jump from building to building. I found one in particular that npcs wouldn’t get up to. I sat up there as a mage and just spam summoned pets killing guards.

• 1Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I have a fear of heights that can get pretty intense, even in video games if I'm in first person especially. So one time my guild is doing a raid in The Deep and we're at that part where you have to cross the thin invisible bridge across the chasm to get to the Thought Horror Overfiend area.

Well, despite my protests that I should probably go last, my guild's officers had a good chuckle and decided to send me first (just after the scout monk that dropped throwing knives all along the invisible bridge to mark the path). So I'm like inching my way across slow as fuck because I'm sure I'm gonna drop off (it's not really entirely straight as I recall).. and the guild group is single-lining behind me breathing on my neck.

Then I suddenly got scared I was falling off and stopped completely, and people started bumping into me.. and sliding off to the side. And then people behind them bumped and slid and fell. I think we lost a good 15 people because those morons were basically jampacked behind me and collision detection is a bitch.

I ended up crossing the bridge slowly but safely, and then people bitched and moaned for a good while as we retrieved the corpses.

As a rogue they sent me on corpse retrieval and that's when I realized I wouldn't die falling in the chasm thanks to Safe Fall... so that was pretty funny too.

• 13Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 13 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I have a fear of heights that can get pretty intense, even in video games if I'm in first person especially. So one time my guild is doing a raid in The Deep and we're at that part where you have to cross the thin invisible bridge across the chasm to get to the Thought Horror Overfiend area.

Well, despite my protests that I should probably go last, my guild's officers had a good chuckle and decided to send me first (just after the scout monk that dropped throwing knives all along the invisible bridge to mark the path). So I'm like inching my way across slow as fuck because I'm sure I'm gonna drop off (it's not really entirely straight as I recall).. and the guild group is single-lining behind me breathing on my neck.

Then I suddenly got scared I was falling off and stopped completely, and people started bumping into me.. and sliding off to the side. And then people behind them bumped and slid and fell. I think we lost a good 15 people because those morons were basically jampacked behind me and collision detection is a bitch.

I ended up crossing the bridge slowly but safely, and then people bitched and moaned for a good while as we retrieved the corpses.

As a rogue they sent me on corpse retrieval and that's when I realized I wouldn't die falling in the chasm thanks to Safe Fall... so that was pretty funny too.
lol, first thing i did as a shaman was find the highest areas and skydive, i had levitation so i was fine. east karanas ramp up to Highhold Pass was fun as hell. just GERONIMO! and slowly float down. eventually as i got more HPs i would jump without levitation to see if i would survive, i died many times until i had enough HPs to survive. when you're a raid shaman, you die so much in EQ, death means nothing.

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
I RR'd my EQ Career by posting "AMERICA HAD IT COMING..." on Solusek Ro forums 2 days after 9/11 ;) The thread had well over a thousand replies in about a week.

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Edgelord
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Daidraco

I RR'd my EQ Career by posting "AMERICA HAD IT COMING..." on Solusek Ro forums 2 days after 9/11 ;) The thread had well over a thousand replies in about a week.
bddc44231a115aae82195cc7ca3be2c99f402658_00.jpg

• 1Worf

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
on Emarr, we had that one famous incident where a guide was summoning people , noobs like lv 40 into Veeshan Peaks and getting instakilled by the dragons. i had a guildie who told me on the downlow that he was also a guide and when the chitchat in general came in that players were being summoned into VP everyone started freaking out. i messaged my friend and told him what was happening. he said he would get back to me. 20 minutes later he said that there was nothing that could be done because it wasnt a bug and that according to the rules guides werent allowed to interfere in VP and that what was happening was considered a "feature" because VP is a dangerous place. at the time nobody on our server was even in VP. it wasnt like we could send people in there to summon corpses. eventually this made its way gamewide and Brad or the GMs had to step in and get everyone out of there. it was a big mess. still no idea why the guide summoned all those randos in there. boredom probably.

That and a few other stuff like that is what caused the big clamp on the Guides back then. The powers that be (I think Michelle Butler was top dog at the time), saw the possibility of abuse and they nerf batted the whole Guide program. Before, we could basically do everything GM's could except reimbursing and such, after.. well, we were more or less just glorified clerks, clearing and sifting through petitions. You weren't supposed to go to the Planes. Raid zones, Dawnshroud Peaks (never understood that one), /summon players, interact with people in exp zones, etc etc. And then ages later, they even took the petition queue away and a huge amount of Guides just quit. The only good thing that came off of that change was getting /becomenpc back so you could turn yourself into a pirate ship in PoK and sail around.

Probably some final act of vindictiveness towards the people that oversaw the guide program, as they were pretty harsh towards guides at times. One minor screw-up and you might well be booted out. Threads on the guide forum that questioned or complained about this didn't stay up, any "I'm being kicked out" threads vanished quickly too. It was very much ruled with an iron fist.
As a guide, I tried to stick to the rules as much as I could, but I did skirt them a few times. One time, I get a petition about a lost corpse in Hate. Go there, warp to the corpse, it's not actually out of bounds, it's just in some out of the way building. Rules very clearly said not to do anything in such a case, I say as much in tells. After this, I catch their puller's attention by facing him and backpedalling a few steps, motioning for him to follow. He catches on and I lead him halfway across the zone to the corpse, while saying nothing that would show up in a chat log. Guess that's my guide confession.

The first time I was kicked from the Guide program was on Saryrn. I was on there for about a year and I was pretty much like 1 out of 3 Guides from Europe among the horde of Americans. So every time i posted something on the Guide forums, people would get offended because I must've sounded like I despised Americans.
That was basically said to be my first strike. Being racist against Americans.
Second strike was trying to get people move involved with GM events, I kept badgering and pressuring the SWAT teams and our local GM to do more events where we were playing NPC's, because nobody was interested in shit like Sleeping Ugly or some debilitating event that awarded you 3 copper in Gfay.
Third strike was summoning 3 people into Qcat dev box and binding them there. I was Guiding at like 10am, which meant it was 2am in PDT time or some such, graveyard shift, 3 people are in Gfay (Saryrn's trade zone) doing a conversation in /ooc & /shout using expelatives, curses and sexual stuff. There was like 150 petitions about it when I logged on and 1 hour later, it was at like 250. I gave all 3 warnings on their accounts, went to see the Chat GM to help me out and he said "he can send someone to me in an hour". So after waiting for 3 hours and nobody came, I gated to Qcat dev box, /summoned and bound all 3 there so they would stop with the zone disruption. Then half an hour into it the GM came, told me I wasn't supposed to do it and kicked me off the server.
Funny thing is, I spoke to Elder Guide Jessla a few years after that and she said Guides should've been awarded for stuff like that.

But there was fun times as well. Get back on after a server crash and see petition queue go into 300-500's of all the people petitioning to get their corpses back.
Or seeing the name approval box pop up with gazillion versions of "Boobs" type of char. Letting one through, and waiting for it to spawn and giving them a warning.
Having fun /kill -ing stuff under the world in Dreadlands.
Catching people cheating / faction war profiteering in PoTactics.
Finding out a guild killed Aten Ha Ra with his corpse stuck on top of one of the pillars and no way to get to the corpse.
Teaching future Guides, Applicants, tutoring them at my bind spot on top of FV statue in FV.

Last time i was a Guide, I saw how decadent and privilegd some people were. Not all servers had the same amount of Guides and they didn't get new ones either. I was guiding on my friends account on Torvonnilous and it was a deadbeat server. We had 3 Senior guides, out of which only 1 was doing all the work. 1 was on maternity leave, the other was a terminal cancer issue who could dick around the other servers as a SWAT member but did 0 on his home one. I fucking wished that guy would die, every day.

I was the servers Guide Quest and Event Coordinator and according to the ruleset set forth by GM Ashlanne/Guide Liason, there were supposed to be cooperation between GM's and Guides in such a fashion that if GM's wanted to do shit on your server, they would have to nofity you in advance - it was triggered that SWAT Teams and GM's randomly did shit on servers withour notifying the server CSR teams and shit/resentment arose.
Queue some EQ Fan Faire and I log on and while guiding I see a world emote about an arena competition, two noob GM's at the fan faire thought they'd have some fun. Man, but did I turn that into a shitfest on the forums. Basically had them begging forgiveness at the behest of an older, more experienced GM who understood _why_ there has to be more communication and cooperation between the volounteers and paid employees.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

no_friendo

<Banned>
When mob aggro would last indefinitely:

Our crew of 3 beastlords, a monk, enchanter, and cleric would take a break from raiding or farming copper hammers by doing "practice pulls". Basically our monk would take off all their gear and train noobs in between raids or farming. We'd shrink the monk, invis the group and find camps to train.

Out of every zone we mastered train pulling Paludal Caverns was our bread and butter. Pretty sure there were 60 patog phlerg fiends in the entire zone. Man, we took those guys everywhere ! Bringing them out of the lake to camps 1 through 3 had some players thinking it was a zone event.

After it became a consistent habit of ours a GM finally got involved and said we needed to stop. After alot of back and forth he agreed not to ban the monk if he yelled "TRAIN INCOMING TO CAMP/ZONE, SORRY = (". He eventually got banned though.

Maybe one day I'll find those fraps videos.

• 1Worf
  • 1GreNeg
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
When mob aggro would last indefinitely:

Our crew of 3 beastlords, a monk, enchanter, and cleric would take a break from raiding or farming copper hammers by doing "practice pulls". Basically our monk would take off all their gear and train noobs in between raids or farming. We'd shrink the monk, invis the group and find camps to train.

Out of every zone we mastered train pulling Paludal Caverns was our bread and butter. Pretty sure there were 60 patog phlerg fiends in the entire zone. Man, we took those guys everywhere ! Bringing them out of the lake to camps 1 through 3 had some players thinking it was a zone event.

After it became a consistent habit of ours a GM finally got involved and said we needed to stop. After alot of back and forth he agreed not to ban the monk if he yelled "TRAIN INCOMING TO CAMP/ZONE, SORRY = (". He eventually got banned though.

Maybe one day I'll find those fraps videos.
Solo leveling in paludal on my beastlord is some of my fondest eq memories. I know thats pretty mundane, but I loved being able to solo and loved that zone.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users