Everquest II

jsquirrel

Molten Core Raider
There will be Channelers and Beastlords for the new TLE (and maybe Stormhold too), so are channelers any good? Beastlord seems decent, pet classes are almost always OP on these time locked servers lol.
I'd be afraid of the new classes without AA (as is the case in vanilla) because I assume they were designed with them in mind. When I tried a Channeler on the Fallen Gate beta server, it was painfully slow killing solo mobs, though in a static group it might be okay.

chorboy

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'd be afraid of the new classes without AA (as is the case in vanilla) because I assume they were designed with them in mind. When I tried a Channeler on the Fallen Gate beta server, it was painfully slow killing solo mobs, though in a static group it might be okay.
Beastlords will be fine, although i'm not sure how the non exotic warder's do.

Going to be rolling solo at first, without any boxes. I didn't even know there was bots for this game. Fury sounds pretty sweet, might give that a shot. Or just go with a healer type, and then add an enchanter sometime later.
Furies are pretty OK in this game, but they don't really shine until later in the game unfortunately. They don't get better than inq's until like CoE tbh.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
My friends are going to play an SK and Fury -- what should I play to round out our trio the best? I'm not adverse to boxing a 2nd if that'd be useful, too.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Follow up question -- if a friend is super interested in trade skills... what's a good trade other than armorcrafting for profit?

chorboy

My friends are going to play an SK and Fury -- what should I play to round out our trio the best? I'm not adverse to boxing a 2nd if that'd be useful, too.
Troubador would be super useful or a necro/conj.

Follow up question -- if a friend is super interested in trade skills... what's a good trade other than armorcrafting for profit?
Alchemist for poisons is super good, and they make spells all the way up. Woodworker is good for arrows as well. Provisioner makes food, Carpenter makes repair kits. The rest of them are just kinda, there? I mean it's cool to be able to make spells but it's really easy to get master abilites. At 50 I think I had like full masters sans like two spells within the first like three weeks. And the armor/weapon makers don't make gear that's better than most legendary/fabled gear, so it's good for the start of xpac but the market has more supply than demand quickly.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Troubador would be super useful or a necro/conj.

Alchemist for poisons is super good, and they make spells all the way up. Woodworker is good for arrows as well. Provisioner makes food, Carpenter makes repair kits. The rest of them are just kinda, there? I mean it's cool to be able to make spells but it's really easy to get master abilites. At 50 I think I had like full masters sans like two spells within the first like three weeks. And the armor/weapon makers don't make gear that's better than most legendary/fabled gear, so it's good for the start of xpac but the market has more supply than demand quickly.

I remember there being some really fucking good crafted gear that was better than drops at that particular range -- is that no longer the case? Like" Pristine Imbued X Chainmail Coat."

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I DLed this for the lulz and lulz were had. Like $300 to catch up on expacs, unlocks, etc. it looks like. Random shit from the account missing (mounts, gear, etc.)

Noooooopeeee

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
lol, they are behind the times when it comes to catching up on expansions....

No idea why they don't just bundle it all in the new one and charge $29.99

I stopped buying them last year and only play the TLE now.

What do you wanna talk about?

who this?

what is your take on the current eq2 engine that would be used for any TLE server? From what I have read in this thread, the game seems to just be nerfed to infinity, so is not anything resembling the mechanics from when we were playing

chorboy

who this?

what is your take on the current eq2 engine that would be used for any TLE server? From what I have read in this thread, the game seems to just be nerfed to infinity, so is not anything resembling the mechanics from when we were playing
I would argue the opposite, the games mechanics are more complex than they originally were in some ways. Sure you don't have things like 4 main stats to worry about but that never really mattered because it was all itemized anyway. On live its ridiculously complex because you need to reforge stats and what not and know which stats you want and how much of each you need. The current engine is basically Live lite. You run on the same spell mechanics, focuses, etc. The mobs recieve damage differently but that doesn't really matter you're still smashing your head on the keyboard.

chorboy

I DLed this for the lulz and lulz were had. Like $300 to catch up on expacs, unlocks, etc. it looks like. Random shit from the account missing (mounts, gear, etc.)

Noooooopeeee

lol, they are behind the times when it comes to catching up on expansions....

No idea why they don't just bundle it all in the new one and charge $29.99

I stopped buying them last year and only play the TLE now.
Lol it's literally impossible to rejoin the current expansion. You need like to do over a solid month of 8 hour game plays to even get your epic 2.0, and they introduced this shit called tithe. Basically you grind it like xp and it gives you insane stats. Like 1% more potency recieved from all gear. Some people have like legit almost 8 months of solid 8 hour gameplay of grinding it, it's impossible to catch up and get even close to their damage.

Penalty

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just have a feeling this server is going to turn into a ghost town real fast. The huge exp nerf combined incentives to do HQs with expacs every twelve weeks caters mostly to the diehard retired eq2 moms. That and DBG picking and choosing between whats Classic and what isnt with beastlords, etc. The whole thing feels like a clown fiesta. I basically have zero trust in the eq2 dev team to make good decisions.

They arent working with a huge nostalgia playerbase like eq1

Very true, penalty. So many eq1 people went to WoW and blew off eq2. I've said it before though, I moved to eq2 when it launched and I found it a completely decent game and an interesting change of pace from eq1. At least for the first 5 years or so, I thought it was pretty fun. But the nostalgia factor, yeah, I just don't think it is there. The irony is, if they don't / can't reconstruct a "classic" progression, those of us who do have fond memories will be more likely to pass.

bytes

Molten Core Raider

Noooooopeeee

No idea what you're looking at, but the latest xpac is like 30 $/€ and gives you everything up to this point. You'll be missing the Age of Discovery features (except for mercs which will unlock with the latest expansion anyways) and the only thing you want from that is reforging if you're a hardcore raider.

You can probably buy that feature after 2 months of sub from the cash shop points you're getting with that.

Daybreak is inept but I would be really surprised if you're actually missing gear, I dusted off my fury from 2007 and everything was still there. My leveling buddy even unearthed an ancient account with some sort of lvl 26 beta character on it.

Mounts aren't in the inventory as an actual item anymore but work as a tab in the character sheet. You also might have things sitting in overflow or repacked into boxes, they did that with some things when adornments etc on your gear changed massively.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yes all the mount items are gone and the tab is blank. Also all of my gear on my Dirge is gone (bags have plenty of space) and the appearance slot items are in the bags, now unattuned. In addition, I lost a bunch of veteran reward things I had.

I'm also talking about all the races and class unlocks and things, did not seem like any of that came with the recent expac.