Everquest II

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
EoF was great, RoK lost me as well.
Yeah, RoK lost lots of ppl. Mythicals basically killed the game. Pre-RoK ppl were fine struggling in their shitty loot, an end game raid had maybe 100% more dps. When mythicals came out one character alone could be doing 100% more dps and as a raid they were probably doing 10-20x the dps. This lead to people either quitting or raiding like it is a job. Gone were the days of pick up raids and thus gone were the ppl who transitioned from casual to hardcore. Once those ppl that stayed got burnt out from raiding there was no one to replace them with. And that was on top of the shitty solo your way to max transition.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
That sounds like a beast of a project. I've never heard of an EQ2emu, but I've also never looked for one.
I've never seen it either and i'm sure it would be very time consuming but how much time have people invested into other projects? If you had a team that could stay together and stick with it, it could be done. I'm just not sure people would dedicate that much time.

Xivvix_sl

shitlord
I don't even know where you would begin with an EQ2 emulator. Just deciding which of the four hundred combat and stat changes to use would be a challenge.

Not to mention actually finding recorded information for some periods of the game's development being impossible.

ixian_sl

shitlord
Wasn't tryin to be mean my man, no one with any sort of talent should be stuck working for sony's graveyard games. Good luck!
No worries, I was kidding anyway.
smile.png

So were you part of the game killing expansion that was DoV?
No, I joined in 2013 and was there until the layoffs this past February.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
EQ2 going DLC instead of expansion is the really weird thing to me... could be good, but could be awful...

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Think of how fun it'd be to take 7 different backstabs and combine them into one ability called "backstab" and so on while keeping the pace of combat and balance the same.

I think Scott still has nightmares about this.

Siddar

Think of how fun it'd be to take 7 different backstabs and combine them into one ability called "backstab" and so on while keeping the pace of combat and balance the same.

I think Scott still has nightmares about this.
For about a month then it would become boring rather quickly.

Ability bloat is endemic in most long duration experience based mmogs because of attempts to prolong player interest in the game requires new things.

You have spectrum from LoL on one hand that used six are so total button but offsets that with 100+ champion to EQ type games with 100+ button to press but only 10-20 classes.

There is really a requirement to ether add more classes are add more buttons as a game ages,

ixian_sl

shitlord
For about a month then it would become boring rather quickly.

Ability bloat is endemic in most long duration experience based mmogs because of attempts to prolong player interest in the game requires new things.

You have spectrum from LoL on one hand that used six are so total button but offsets that with 100+ champion to EQ type games with 100+ button to press but only 10-20 classes.

There is really a requirement to ether add more classes are add more buttons as a game ages,
One of the problems with EQ2, though, is it has a ridiculous amount of button bloat before you even get to the period where they added more. Worse, a lot of the abilities are boring to look at, lack any interesting interactions with other abilities, etc.

Siddar

Oh I agree button bloat is a problem in genre. I just think there are not any easy solutions that don't create other problems.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Could we get Holly in here? LOL She used to be very interactive. I know it doesn't change anything but for the sake of the future of their games I would feel better if someone was at least speaking to us about it. I would at least like to receive a BS business response defending their position and decisions.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Could we get Holly in here? LOL She used to be very interactive. I know it doesn't change anything but for the sake of the future of their games I would feel better if someone was at least speaking to us about it. I would at least like to receive a BS business response defending their position and decisions.
I appreciate that you're passionate about the game, but I'm curious why you think Holly (or any other dev) owes you anything? You don't chase good money with bad, that's why there's no more expacs for EQ2. It's dead. Just like we can't go back to 1999 when EverQuest had a monopoly on the 3D MMO market and the number of people that had reliable internet AND a 3D video card was so small that you could feasibly know everyone playing a game on a single server, we can't go back to whatever you consider EQ2's golden era - no matter how much you bitch at the people who are assigned to the EQ2 dev team.

Will it really make you feel better to hear her say, "There aren't enough people playing the game to justify spending the dev time on a full blown expansion."?

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I'm speaking more about the face of the company and a little damage control. EQ and EQ2 have a long history of bleeding the confidence from their playerbase. Now that they are Daybreak they could pretty well start anew and lead people to think it was the state of SoE that was stifling their games. I'm not looking for any major revisions but now that they have new leadership just admit their obvious issues and shortcomings and say how things will be different going forward.

Imagine how you would feel about the EQ Franchise is someone like Holly came in here saying how the ability float irritates her but they do not have the resources to deal with it and tie that to what they learned in developing EQNext. They could be so transparent and vocal now and really get people on their side. I guess I expected more out of the changes. They're still ignoring core issues even in discussion. Most of the "old school", speaking mainly of myself maybe, just want to talk about games. I would be more inclined to put my money with Daybreak if I thought they felt the same way the majority of the playerbase did today.

Deep down I don't want or expect any changes but I do think a company owes it to their customers at least the appearance of caring about their product. That, I feel, a company does owe me or I simply choose not to do business with them.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
I appreciate that you're passionate about the game, but I'm curious why you think Holly (or any other dev) owes you anything? You don't chase good money with bad, that's why there's no more expacs for EQ2. It's dead. Just like we can't go back to 1999 when EverQuest had a monopoly on the 3D MMO market and the number of people that had reliable internet AND a 3D video card was so small that you could feasibly know everyone playing a game on a single server, we can't go back to whatever you consider EQ2's golden era - no matter how much you bitch at the people who are assigned to the EQ2 dev team.

Will it really make you feel better to hear her say, "There aren't enough people playing the game to justify spending the dev time on a full blown expansion."?
They're still selling a product, why wouldn't their customers deserve some sort of feedback?