Everquest II

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
If anyone is super bored and wants to level on EQ2's TLE server, there's a stupid puppet event going on. Kill the raid mob, go from level 1 to 25, do it again for another dozen levels, repeat. Level cap in like 3 hours.
Whats tle at right now?

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
EQ2 players will never stand for an ability crunch because they need to cling on to something that makes the game different from other MMO's... even if it's the worst combat system in annals of rpg history.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
EQ2 players will never stand for an ability crunch because they need to cling on to something that makes the game different from other MMO's... even if it's the worst combat system in annals of rpg history.

As far as I know, it's the design devs that are opposed to it. The players that quit years ago cared about it, and their base is mostly 40-somethings who decorate houses all day and buy gear/spells from their marketplace/RNG crates. The hardcore raider and min-maxer isn't their target demographic anymore.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
It depends on the class. Took a quick look on Twitch. Here's a Necromancer's hotbars (looks like a necro? I don't know current eq2 other than tons of hotbars).
I think either Channeler and Beastlord have the least hotkeys.

jR5fPeo.jpg

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I giggled a bit when I saw 4... you have no idea how bad it is. I think I had 4 hotbars in the center, 1 on one side and 2 on the other. I felt I was pretty modest at 7. I don't really macro that much either just out of spite.

It really frustrates me that this game could be significantly better if they would go to possible 2-3 at the most. 1 bar for offensive, 1 bar of defensive, and 1 bar of utility. There's no reason why they couldn't by this point have condensed this to 3 or less bars.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Due to a lack of decent MMO out there, I'm actually having fun in a raid guild for the first time on Fallen Gate. I can't stand live EQ2, but my channeler is a pretty fun class. I suffer from more than 4 hotbars, but when just healing / debuffing probably only use 1-2. It's a fun class, almost as much fun as my blood mage from Vanguard. On the fight pictured here (like 5 mobs at once on one tank), my class tops the healing chart due to damage interception/autoheal, so it's great being useful for once (I was an EQ1 mage QQ)

I noticed the channeler main nuke hits almost as hard as wizzie ice comet, but with no cooldown just a heat mechanic. As a joke, I collected a bunch of priest gear that included like +10% damage increase procs, and other crap I can click. I think I more than doubled my intended damage, but it makes my healing suck. It's still fun to almost top the damage charts too sometimes, at least between necro Lifeburns when they triple everyone else :p

Not a perfect, or even great MMO, but if you have a good guild it's cheap entertainment. Just don't touch the live server, it's impossible to catch up and be useful without spending $$$$.

WARNING: Below pic of my UI may trigger some. I'm too lazy to mess with custom UIs after a patch, and need to track a lot of stuffs :p

73bQ8MP.jpg

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Man, I really do miss playing EQ2. Echoes of Faydwer was a great expansion to start in.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Friend of mine is still playing this - asked him what it was like this new expansion and he said they have now nerfed the master drop rate to the point that you have to use daybreak cash to upgrade from an adept 3.

Don't forget it's like 25 bucks per spell or something stupid like to upgrade - plus there's god know's how many spells and ascensions now in the game.

Daybreak are milking the absolute shit out of the last of the playerbase.

Man, I really do miss playing EQ2. Echoes of Faydwer was a great expansion to start in.

Game was pretty great at launch - mostly cause of the bugs and being able to invis everywhere and adventure. Used to love Tarton's Wheel as it went through walls when the game first came out. I was nearly invincible with a robe of invoker and screaming mace as a templar in T5 - shame i had 0.1 DPS. Eof was a really nice time to start though as that was a real big expansion.

This game really went to absolute shit in the last few years - i would love an emulator of this but the codes so fucked it would be an impossible task.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
I remember being the first one to get Tarton's wheel on tle because everyone pretty much forgot about it since you had to buy a gem from some random vendor in freeport. It wasnt on eq2zam either only like eq2 wiki so no one found it for a while which is what I hoped for so that they didnt nerf it. Couldn't port thru walls but stats made it the best item in t5 pretty much

• 1Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I remember being the first one to get Tarton's wheel on tle because everyone pretty much forgot about it since you had to buy a gem from some random vendor in freeport. It wasnt on eq2zam either only like eq2 wiki so no one found it for a while which is what I hoped for so that they didnt nerf it. Couldn't port thru walls but stats made it the best item in t5 pretty much

On the first TLE server, once people found out how inflated the stats were, there were literally lines of people waiting 20-30 minutes for the silly quest item to drop. I think you needed to click on something in like 10 different zones? Each one took half an hour to refresh for the next schmuck ? Fun :p

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
On the first TLE server, once people found out how inflated the stats were, there were literally lines of people waiting 20-30 minutes for the silly quest item to drop. I think you needed to click on something in like 10 different zones? Each one took half an hour to refresh for the next schmuck ? Fun :p
Yeah I remember doing it over on my alt and having to wait. Was great doing it before anyone else even had the quest starter

At certain moments eq2 was, imo, actually a really cool mmo. Avatars, for example. That was a good era. But I stopped in 2010. But I will always defend the first few years. The graphics boost from eq1 was excellent, and the sheer amount of quests was decent enough. The raid level content was -- I will argue -- actually pretty cool.

As I said though, have not played since 2010. But eq2 was tons of fun at the time. I feel sorry for those who had moved to WoW during that time period.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Any MMO that let you kill your group by dropping them to the bottom of the ocean for fall-damage has redeeming qualities.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Loaded up a few streams of this on twitch to remind myself what the graphics looked like and just chuckled as every single one of them had 40% of their screen covered in action bars. One of them was a clicker too. Looked like he was playing whack a mole with his cursor.

• 1Worf

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
I'll wear surviving year one (and many following years) as a Swashbuckler main as a permanent badge of honor. That was a total shitshow, but man I loved that class.

• 1Like

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Thinking back I'm so surprised at how few Brigands and Swashbucklers there were since you picked "Rogue" as your pre main class. Would think it would be more popular