Everquest II

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!
The class system in eq2 was whacked out. On hindsight, I laugh. Rogue classes parsed fine, but.... they could not outparse a Coercer (one of the enchanter classes).

I would def check out a p99 effort at eq2, maybe stopping at EoF or maybe just even DoF. That class system tho lol. But I remember lots of classes being pretty happy, raid-wise.

But seriously, whoever decided "Hey, let's not only re-think the class system, but let's make a light and dark version of each!" was clearly on a week-long cocaine bender.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Eq2 TLE was fun for a while. If an emu project got off the ground I would for sure give it a try. Last time I looked there wasn't really anything though

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
There is an emu but still in production.
Ones a pvp server. You can also go to old freeport and qeynos and suburbs which is pretty awesone

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The class system in eq2 was whacked out. On hindsight, I laugh. Rogue classes parsed fine, but.... they could
@snot outparse a Coercer (one of the enchanter classes).

I would def check out a p99 effort at eq2, maybe stopping at EoF or maybe just even DoF. That class system tho lol. But I remember lots of classes being pretty happy, raid-wise.

But seriously, whoever decided "Hey, let's not only re-think the class system, but let's make a light and dark version of each!" was clearly on a week-long cocaine bender.

S Secrets how is progress on the EQ2 emu projects out there going?

Qelyn

Trakanon Raider
I made the mistake of mentioning a possible PvP emu server for EQ2 to the girlfriend and more she's super hyped. Does anyone have any info/ updates on this?

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
I made the mistake of mentioning a possible PvP emu server for EQ2 to the girlfriend and more she's super hyped. Does anyone have any info/ updates on this?
Stich pvp. I can get you the discord later tonight if you cant find it anywhere

Some Everquest facebook group. People defending the DB marketplace not having ANY pay to win items on it. Even saying that buying research spells doesn't matter. Also one of them dropped this. No wonder theyre able to do alo this marketplace shit with people like this

Screenshot_2018-12-20-14-10-39~2.png

• 2WTF
Reactions: 1 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Stich pvp. I can get you the discord later tonight if you cant find it anywhere

Some Everquest facebook group. People defending the DB marketplace not having ANY pay to win items on it. Even saying that buying research spells doesn't matter. Also one of them dropped this. No wonder theyre able to do alo this marketplace shit with people like this

View attachment 186654
I think that guy is looking for pay to play

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I'm pretty stoked about an EQ2 pvp emu. I fucking loved the early pvp in this game. Hope this works out.

Last edited:

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Loved all the different types of quests in EQ2 from shinies to lore book quests and god knows what. Would love to revisit an old EQ server. The only thing I hated was you had to be logged on (and in your player home iirc) to sell shit on the AH. That was cancer.

• 1Like

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Loved all the different types of quests in EQ2 from shinies to lore book quests and god knows what. Would love to revisit an old EQ server. The only thing I hated was you had to be logged on (and in your player home iirc) to sell shit on the AH. That was cancer.
They stopped that couple months into game

dizzie

Triggered Happy
The auction house music when it was in t5 was absolutely great (not sure what it was).

In fact one thing the game did pretty fantastically at launch was music.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
The auction house music when it was in t5 was absolutely great (not sure what it was).

In fact one thing the game did pretty fantastically at launch was music.

I always liked the Commonlands soundtrack but yeah.. the entire soundtrack was great maybe some of the best in MMO's. It really felt like EQ but an upgrade.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
The class system in eq2 was whacked out. On hindsight, I laugh. Rogue classes parsed fine, but.... they could not outparse a Coercer (one of the enchanter classes).

On chanters, Illusionist has been a tier 1 DPS right up there with Wizards since 2009. Coercer, a really well played one, maybe, but they were mid table at best. Rogue classes parsed fine is not in the least bit true when you have the swashbuckler situation, as in them being shit since RoK. Brigands were godlike for a short while yet haven't been useful for at least 5 years. And any reasonably geared assassin with a dirge in group will nearly always be a t1 dps and always has been.

You must have played with some absolutely terrible rogues to think that.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Music was great, lots of great dungeons, some really interesting raids, just all built on such a bloated ability system to bring it all down. I will always have love for this game, but you can tell that they didn't get any independent editing on where the ability system was heading. I can hear the conversations about how overly simple a lot of classes were in EQ, so let's give everybody a huge spell book just like casters for extra fun! I still wonder how much different (possibly better) EQ2 would have been if they had left in only having 8 spell slots, and then rebalanced combat around that... How much class design could have benefited, how much easier it would have been to balance 24 (now 26-27?) classes, making ability choice matter, the impact it could have had on the AA system and build diversity. I really hope someone manages to salvage this franchise someday.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users
On chanters, Illusionist has been a tier 1 DPS right up there with Wizards since 2009. Coercer, a really well played one, maybe, but they were mid table at best. Rogue classes parsed fine is not in the least bit true when you have the swashbuckler situation, as in them being shit since RoK. Brigands were godlike for a short while yet haven't been useful for at least 5 years. And any reasonably geared assassin with a dirge in group will nearly always be a t1 dps and always has been.

You must have played with some absolutely terrible rogues to think that.

No, but the fact an ehcnater-class char could hit top of the parse at all, was kind of just what I was pointing out. In eq1 during that period, our stuff was barely landing if at all. Then all of a sudden,... I'm just saying it was a strange change. Illusionists eventually got left behind by coercers btw. And yeah, sometimes I would hit the top. Not all the time, but all I am saying, maybe the most profound re-thinking of a class?

dizzie

Triggered Happy
No, but the fact an ehcnater-class char could hit top of the parse at all, was kind of just what I was pointing out. In eq1 during that period, our stuff was barely landing if at all. Then all of a sudden,... I'm just saying it was a strange change. Illusionists eventually got left behind by coercers btw. And yeah, sometimes I would hit the top. Not all the time, but all I am saying, maybe the most profound re-thinking of a class?

yeah i get where you're coming from, I played an illy from t5 (buff bot, breeze 24 peeps each wipe, mez some adds) then they made time warp and that shit just made illy's rock like mad. The class just went from zero to hero in an expac and some other just got shit on, coercer a bit, swashy, brig.

Games fucked right up when it comes to classes. There should never have that been disparity between classes initially anyway.

The worst move they ever made was giving chanter's the ability to copy a persons skill with temporal mimicry, that shit just made them insane as fuck as you'd buff your t1 beastolord/assasin and mimic him/her for 2x the dps and with raid buffs the way they were..

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I miss this game a lot because it had that "class appeal" that Vanguard had.

I don't think we'll see another MMO with as much combat appeal as these two systems had in these respective games. EQ2 also had "world" and a feel to the world. It had epic vibe and epic feeling rewards in place. You felt good about questing (something WoW failed to achieve, but EQ2 hit the mark on).

I mean just compare EQ2/Vanguard to Ashes of Creation...Its so trash I just can't lower myself to the "new standard" for MMO classes and combat. It really sucks they gutted so much of WoW this year because now I have nothing to play.

Ultimately, its sad that EQ2's reward systems and questing are largely downplayed and ignored in favor of the "talk to the stationary amusement park quest-giver and then go get me some bear asses" that WoW introduced. Nothing about WoW questing was ever EQ2 caliber at any point.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like