Everquest - Live Servers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That is quite awesome, I read the first few posts on that forum of yours and I must admit im pretty lost, I stopped playing during Gates of Discord, I imagine the amount of content now would be almost too much to wrap your head around, how do subs and things work if you wanted to start boxing? Also, how viable is it to even start something like this now, would be it horrendously painful to get upto a stage where I could go and clear Ntov and sleepers tomb for nostalgia?
To six box it kind of feels like
giphy.gif

You have to buy and maintain subs on six accounts. Each expansion is $35 so you have to buy that also.

I'd recommend doing 3 accounts to start with, because you can then use 3 mercs to get a full group and do basically everything. Six boxing is just excessive and it's a bit tedious to set up.

To answer your question, you could get one account, get a heroic character and go clear NToV/Sleeper's Tomb, but who knows what you'd find up at any given point in those zones. Heroic Characters FAQ

If you want to box in EQ I'd recommend getting three accounts, rolling three new characters (we can help you pick which ones) and getting ISBoxer set up to configure your windows and send key commands to multiple screens and see how you like it.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you buy the latest expansion do you get all the preceding ones? I think the last I bought was probably OoW...

Though to be fair, I'd probably log in and spend 3 days fucking around with custom UIs, kill some shit in the Hole with my pally, roll a level 1, get lost in Freeport, complain bitterly about it, then log off for another few years.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
First part of the DoT revamp is out for necros:
- Necromancer - The Dread Pyre line of spells no longer stacks with itself. Increased the mana cost and damage dealt.
- Necromancer - Pyre of Mori and later Damage over Time spells in that line will no longer stack with themselves. Increased the mana cost and damage dealt by those spells.
- Necromancer - The Tenak's Flashblaze line of spells now deals the same amount of damage as the Pyre of Mori spells of the same level, with the same mana efficiency. This line can no longer stack with itself or with the Pyre of Mori line. This line no longer deals different damage to different targets. Increased the resist modifier so that this line now lands more reliably. Removed the recast timer on the spell line.
- Necromancer - Searing Shadow and later spells in its line no longer stack with each other. Increased the damage dealt and the mana cost. All ranks of this spell line now add a specific damage amount to incoming lifetap spells rather than a percentage.
- Necromancer - The Pallid Haze line of Damage Over Time spells no longer stacks with itself, starting with Chaos Venom at level 70. Increased damage, mana costs, and resist modifiers for these spells.
- Necromancer - The Corath Venom line of Damage Over Time spells no longer stacks with itself. Increased damage and mana costs as a result.
- Necromancer - The Swift Venom line of Damage Over Time spells no longer stacks with itself or with the Corath Venom line of spells. It now deals the same amount of damage every tick that the equivalent Corath Venom spell would do. It no longer deals different amounts of damage to raid targets. Increased the resist modifier to make the line land more reliably. Removed the recast timer from this spell line.
- Necromancer - The Eranon's Decay line of spells no longer scales with your level and instead reaches full potency the first level they are available. Reduced the duration by two ticks. Increased the damage and mana cost but removed the ability for the spell line to stack with itself.
- Necromancer - The Swift Sickness line of spells now deals the same amount of damage per tick as the Eranon's Decay spell of the same level range, with the same mana efficiency. Increased the resist modifiers so spells will now land more reliably. The spell line will no longer deal different damage to different targets. The spell line will no longer stack with itself and will be overwritten by the equivalent Eranon's Decay spell. Removed the recast time from this spell line.
- Necromancer - The Grip of Mori line of spells will no longer stack with itself above level 67. Damage and mana cost have been increased.
Necros are having trouble parsing their top-damage because they keep killing target dummies...

After years of revamping DoTs where they release stupidly overpowered DoTs and then nerf them into oblivion, it looks like they are doing the same thing, maybe it's more comfortable than trying to get it right the first time?

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
So, will the DoT revamp make it in time for the new TLE server? Asking for a ....friend that might try Necro this go around.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
So, will the DoT revamp make it in time for the new TLE server? Asking for a ....friend that might try Necro this go around.

It's going live before the new TLP servers yes but this revamp is only like level 70+ spells so it won't impact the new servers until they do the lower level spells or until those servers reach level 70+ content (1.5 years from now).

Patches occur monthly, so there is a small chance that we could see the sub 70 Necro spells revamped as early as mid June.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It's going live before the new TLP servers yes but this revamp is only like level 70+ spells so it won't impact the new servers until they do the lower level spells or until those servers reach level 70+ content (1.5 years from now).

Patches occur monthly, so there is a small chance that we could see the sub 70 Necro spells revamped as early as mid June.

Those changes likely to be a decent buff to necros when they normally start stagnating?

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Those changes likely to be a decent buff to necros when they normally start stagnating?

I'm not very knowledgeable on later level Necromancers.The changes seemed good for Shaman/Druid, it's basically just making it so that you don't need to stack multiple dots from the same line, it increases the damage and thus the DPS, reduces the number of spells you need to cast / mem and increases the mana you spend on any single dot.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was very familiar with Necro's up through Rain of Fear. By that time, I was just on a rotation of cycling through the 4 'Fast Dot' lines and maybe casting swarm pets. The damage was ridiculous and fast. I don't know how any of their changes affect that. I never once felt under-powered... quite the opposite.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I was very familiar with Necro's up through Rain of Fear. By that time, I was just on a rotation of cycling through the 4 'Fast Dot' lines and maybe casting swarm pets. The damage was ridiculous and fast. I don't know how any of their changes affect that. I never once felt under-powered... quite the opposite.

Really? Avoided them because I always heard they peaked in classic and just got weaker and weaker as expansions went on

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Really? Avoided them because I always heard they peaked in classic and just got weaker and weaker as expansions went on
I'm not sure thats anywhere close to accurate.

I think even in modern EQ, before this revamp, necro damage wasn't exactly BAD. It just had a high ramp up time and took some serious keyboard acrobatics to pull off.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think around House of Thule you started getting Death Bloom (free full mana every 4 mins) and Fast Dot lines. You had Fire, Poison, Disease, and Magic/life-steal spell lines. The Fast Dot's ticked like 4 times and if you had your AA's for dot dmg & dot crits, your 4 ticks would hit as hard as other classes nukes. So, you can imagine stacking 4 of those on a mob and watching "4 massive nukes" all land on the same tick. It was stupid ridiculous damage that was totally sustainable with Death Bloom.

All that said, House of Thule, Veil of Alaris, Rain of Fear was 8+ years ago and 7 expansions ago. I am sure they have made lots of changes that probably invalidate how I was playing the class at that time.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
They changed a bit since then but the normal killing was the quick dots and swarm pets and dead. This was my write up in 2013 max level 100 and it was pretty much the same a year or so ago with newly added spells. Raid burn-

This list can be better or worse for nearly everyone due to luck, random number generator and who you have in group or raid (druid/bard/ranger/whoever). I leveled up a Druid a bit ago just for fire debuff and the skin-to-plant spell to further help my necro dots, dissolution goes form a 1.7k a tick dot to a 2.8k a tick dot at rk3. So with druid skin debuff add in diss on the lowest damage dot. When in a raid situation you cant 100% rely on anyone else so loading the plant damage dot is iffy.

Spell Lineup at level 100 (raid version/long fight):

1. Pyre of Marnek
2. Ignite Thoughts
3. Pyre of Hazzarak
4. Termination
5. Binaesa Venom
6. Pyre of Nos
7. Doom
8. Naeya Venom
9. Halstor's Pallid Haze
10. Pyre of the Forsaken
11. Ivrikdal's Pallid Haze
12. Pernicious Wounds

Casting in exact order to start burn mode

Scent(non upgraded version with new xpac)
Tash clicky
Fire DD(make undead if solo/grouped)
Undead slow AA(if solo or grouped)
EFoA
Land all 12 DoTs
Silent Casting
Empowered Focus
Mercurial Torment

Load up Gift of Deathly Resolve set - which uses Dissolving Venin (fast recast .9) instead of Pern Wounds, Vollmondnacht Orb instead of Ivrikdal's Pallid Haze - usually land 10 spells before GoDR wears off
So cast fast DD to trigger GoDR and then cast dot

Youll want to pop all robes, spire, embalmers and 7th vet when godr is going for max dps.

Never use Funeral Pyre in a burn. Use Hand of Death instead. Click Hand, then cast Lifeburn, then cast AA Lifetap once Hand triggers to heal back. Funeral Pyre, Bard Aria, Chaotic Power from blood nuke, and Hand are all on same stacking line and you will only gain the effect of the strongest one. Chaotic is Strongest followed by Hand then a huge drop to Aria and then with Pyre being the weakest. Overall hand is the best option because its duration is longer and not limited by counters like Chaotic while being almost as good.

Then Impel time...

Load spell list as posted without Pern, add impel - Dots should be going in full stream thus far and...

12,7,12,1,12,2,12,4, 12,5,12,6,12,8,12,9,12,10, number number number number number

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All of this is very easily changed for shorter or longer fights! Shorter fight... load all dots up, pop hand and life burn, robes, spire and embalmers and 7th vet and swiifts or whatever = dead shit.

On group mobs with fights lasting like 20 seconds to a minute its different, even named group mobs. Swarm pets do more then pyre of Marn, so with trash cast swift, swarm pet, swift, swift or add in another swarm from level 95. group t1-4 named that doesnt summon adds or is a pain in the ass... land dots, silent casting, embalmers, 7th vet, robes, spire, hand, life burn, load swifts = dead shit.

Also add in the spell shards for extra damage and you're set, even with the nerf/fix.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
problem with necros on live is:
1. The skill cap for a necro relative to everybody else, especially wizards/mages, is massive. Mages/wizards have a few things they need to account for to get decent DPS, necros have to balance several different spell-lineups. Only after playing 5x harder than mage/wizards can they compete with their damage and only on certain mobs that they can plant their feet and swing for several minutes on.

2. The debuff limit for mobs is way too small and the DPG devs are unable or unwilling to increase it, but ARE willing to constantly add new debuffs with every expansion.

3. Since they redid other class' DoTs, their DoTs eclipse Necro DoTs to the point where it's preferable to have the other classes' DoTs up vs most of the Necro's DoTs. Check out this Druid DoT:

[59423/5802] Nature's Fervid Wrath Rk. III
2: Decrease Current HP by 33710 per tick

Compare that with one of the most powerful necro DoTs:
[58129/9763] Dissident Paroxysm 6
3: Decrease Current HP by 19596 per tick

or a typical Necro DoT:
[59939/9820] Dracnia's Pallid Haze Rk. III
2: Decrease Current HP by 3839 per tick

Necros get a bunch of class-AAs to increase their DoT efficacy, but it's still a huge difference in base damage.

But now after four years of DoT revamps they release what is a ridiculously overpowered tuning adjustment that absolutely misses the mark. Necros are probably the whiniest class in the game, but they're basically ready for a couple months of insanity and then a huge over-nerf when Aristo blindly throws the balancing dart again.

Below is a post from a top live Necro talking about the frustration of this and how much they've been trying to help DPG not shit the bed over this.
Public parses only feed trolls. The details of what, why and how have been discussed for 4+ years. The necro community created multiple suggestions of how to handle the dot revamps for everyone but especially for necromancers. He hasn't listened or considered it at all and I say this based on the same mistakes being repeated over and over and again now with necros. Soon to come are the clumsy stupid nerfs that follow, breaking how the class is played when it all could have been avoided if he had just listened.

Aristo has had 4+ years of solid information being shared with him regarding dot revamps. Myself and various others have PM'd him, had back and forths in 4 different beta's regarding dot tuning and future changes, we have posted in 50 different dot revamp threads and the original dot change thread. It has all been for naught when the same mistakes are just being repeated again.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, 'no stacking of lines' was an attempt at addressing the consolidating the debuff-limit. To balance that, they had to increase the base-damage of Dots, since you could not longer stack them for maximum damage. End result, you cast less spells, do the same or more damage, and have a better chance of sharing slots with the other people on your raid/party.

Seems logical and should have probably been in since the beginning. But I can still see in a raid setting, where none of your shit is going to fit in the mob debuff limit because EVERYONE has 5 things they can stick on the mob, consolidated necro dots or not. I can see why people would complain that this bandaid-fix basically did nothing.

In the quote above, what is 'Forcallen's' issue with this fix? What does he and the other Necro's suggest for a better fix?