Everquest - Live Servers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Im just messing with you man but youre right. Holly knew when she talked to us that her time was done. And here we are.
I just like to clear the air. Even if they didn't like us I wouldn't care :D They knew very much what they were getting into with us and didn't blink at it.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I believe the Coirnav server is on the Depths of Dark Hollow expansion right now. That's one expansion behind Prophecy of Ro, so you technically, you could create on there and start at the expansion you left on.

PoR was one of the expansions I least enjoyed in 12 years of EQ. That final raid was a goddamn pain, even if you had a lot of clicks.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
First memory I have of JChan was her staying overnight to recode the login servers after some progression server launch, when they had been projecting the task would take a week. Obviously they projected a conservative estimate for themselves, but overnight the first night is still crazy haha.

Since then, I've paid attention when her name gets brought up in news articles and interviews and stuff, and she probably understands EQ's code better than anyone else. She has come up with fixes for some pretty broken old systems.

Yes, she probably understands EQ's archaic ass 25 year old code mess better than anyone else.

The fact that they put someone like that in charge gives me a lot of hope that they are actually trying to keep this game going forever.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Zaide

TLP Idealist
First memory I have of JChan was her staying overnight to recode the login servers are some progression server launch, when they had been projecting the task would take a week. Obviously they projected s conservative estimate for themselves, but overnight the first night is still crazy haha.

Since then, I've paid attention when her name gets brought up in news articles and interviews and stuff, and she probably understands EQ's code better than anyone else. She has come up with fixes for some pretty broken old systems.

Yes, she probably understands EQ's archaic ass 25 year old code mess better than anyone else.

The fact that they put someone like that in charge gives me a lot of hope that they are actually trying to keep this game going forever.

Yeah it was Jchan who did the server select queue and the AFK kick back for RF/LJ launch.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
First memory I have of JChan was her staying overnight to recode the login servers after some progression server launch, when they had been projecting the task would take a week. Obviously they projected a conservative estimate for themselves, but overnight the first night is still crazy haha.

This is good and bad.

The flip side of the argument is you just promoted one of the few technocrats on the planet capable of keeping the lights on and she'll have little time to devote to her technical expertise.

I love JChan. She seems like she genuinely loves EQ and deserves the promotion and increase in salary as much as anyone on Earth. But there is no replacing her labor and that doesn't portend well.

Does she have the vision and leadership skills required to be CEO and franchise director? I don't know, but I'm happy for her that she gets to answer that question for us.

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i am actually curious how that overseer shit works out. there are some aspects i wouldnt want to do again if i rerolled a charatcter from the beginning. what i would really like are old fucking expansion quests and tasks be credited to me somehow. i mean its beyond tedious for a lv 115 to go back and work through some previous expansions, i wouldnt mind being all caught up somehow. maybe an expansion quest where if i complete that one quest and i get the credit for all the dumb hoops i would have had to jump through.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
While I acknowledge EQ is clunky as shit if there was a catch up route similar to FFXIV where I could pay to be bumped to level 100 say and be backflagged etc, I'd cough up a fair chunk of cash for that.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
What sort of old expansion shit is there? Granted, I haven’t played since House of Thule but I feel like at that time the only “old” quest you needed to do was the J5 mercenary in Toskirak (sp?). Can you not just skip spells/zones to max level and work on current content?

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I didn't see it mentioned. Guess there's gonna be a freebie heroic character, if you a member, and login to EQ between March 16th - May 10th.

The overseer thing is pretty damn boring and unrewarding for the most part in EQ2. Annoying too, as it's apparently the only source of high end tradeskill books, ones I've yet to see. I hope the EQ1 version is better, but I wouldn't count on it. I think its their new hairbrained scheme to make money in the store, and they just testing it with players.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
From what people have said, its just like garrisons in WoW. Ya offline quests for 100 gold or faction rep.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Greetings Norrath, and well met.

Before we take steps into the Plane of Knowledge for my first community letter. I have to say, it is with great honor and gratitude to have been appointed the next steward of EverQuest and EverQuest II. I follow a line of legends before me, and I intend to lead by example and carry on the torch to the best of my ability.

I look forward to us getting to know each other more. Prior to stepping into my role as current Head of Studio at Darkpaw Games, I’ve been the Technical Director the last 6 years for EverQuest and EverQuest II, and before that, I was programmer for the franchise between 2008 and 2013.

I want to reassure you that the change of guard does not mean change of plans in EverQuest. We are moving full steam ahead on our road map for the year with lots of new and additional fun content in store.

We know that many of you have been looking at Overseer and sharing information about your experiences on the Test Server. Overseer will be releasing with our patch today, and we can’t wait for you to get your hands on it and start helping to maintain the balance in the world of Norrath between the forces of Order and Discord. This major new feature is incredibly exciting for us as we continue to look forward to the future of Norrath.

As part of our 21st Anniversary celebrations we’ve added a new mount and other fun items to the jubilant merchant, unlocked Veteran Reward AAs for All Characters, all All Access members will receive a Heroic Character unlock for their accounts, and two player designed missions will make their appearance as anniversary quests!

Now, there are a few more things that we will be discussing soon, like more information about the upcoming Time Locked Progression servers and server merges, along with a few additional surprises we have in store, including a possible hint about our plans for a fan gathering in 2020.

All in all, I am very excited for this year and the things we have planned for EverQuest, and what we have in store for the franchise. Thank you for embarking with us on this new chapter in the grand epic that is EverQuest.

Yours Truly,

Jennifer “JChan” Chan

Head of Studio, Darkpaw Games

New fan faire? lets get corona into the EQ scene so we all get 14 days off to play more

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
What sort of old expansion shit is there? Granted, I haven’t played since House of Thule but I feel like at that time the only “old” quest you needed to do was the J5 mercenary in Toskirak (sp?). Can you not just skip spells/zones to max level and work on current content?
backflagging and such. i missed like 20 expansions worth of content.