Everquest Memorabilia / Collectables / Figures / Artwork / Posters / Irontaail's Viper

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Mayonnaise is awesome on sammiches! Amirite Runnen? Great condiment :p

Keep up the awesomeness my man! Loving the creativity from the community!

• 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 1 user

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Love the custom Phinny.

I wonder what zone these guys live in....

1614012931727.png

• 1Galaxy Brain

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
You know what, Mayong Mistmoore is a pain in the ass... I'm not even talking about how he drove people insane trying to find ways to spawn him back in the classic times, or how difficult he may have been as a raid encounter in mutiple later expansions, no I'm talking about consistency. When you try and make a custom figure of something, it's nice to have some reliable sources to see how it looks, perhaps at various angles or an idea of what the character wears.. but noooo what we get is this shit :

6HY1txs.jpg

So you've got to pick between Joe McNeriak, Maestro of Mistmoore and Giant Melanin Deficiency in Black Plate.

Ever the explorer, I went on my own path and picked a mix between his black plate (because seriously who wears blue robes on blue skin, Joe?) and his appearance from his portrait in his very own Castle Mistmoore.. and without further ado.

MmAjp3X.jpg

PaKiDNu.jpg

So like I said I went with the wild-haired portrait of his fabulous self in Castle Mistmoore, except sans the Tudoresque fabulous outfit. Mayong here wears some casual black plate without the shoulderpads because he enjoys a breeze, I picked a pose to show his casual arrogance and "cool" attitude, after all we're talking about the dude who decided to ascend to godhood out of boredom and then went back to the mortal realms because he got bored of that too, he's way too cool for Norrath, he's the Tony Stark of EQ, in fact he'd probably tell you to stop playing MMOs and be a Chad like him. I used an articulated figure for the base but the armor was partly resculpted and entirely repainted, I added the blood gems to give it a more vampiric look, painted the flowing cape the color dried blood, made the base, pedestal and wall, printed the portrait from a screenshot and built the frame around it.. the gargoyle I found on Amazon but I gave it a full repaint and worked on the eyes to give them a glowy look I'm happy with it. I also tried a half-assed attempt at some blood splatters but they ended up hidden behind the figure anyway so fuck that.

As always I hope you'll like this one too. Work has begun on Emperor Ssraeshza but he'll take a while. Also Aten Ha Ra is probably happening. I have a few things cooking at the same time, but I've also decided to make some mini scenes with smaller characters, I'm thinking maybe some Frogloks or some Bixies, fun stuff like that's as much part of EQ as the big peoples. Let me know what you think, or even better if you have some ideas!

Last edited:
  • 15Like
Reactions: 14 users

Zaide

TLP Idealist
You know what, Mayong Mistmoore is a pain in the ass... I'm not even talking about how he drove people insane trying to find ways to spawn him back in the classic times, or how difficult he may have been as a raid encounter in mutiple later expansions, no I'm talking about consistency. When you try and make a custom figure of something, it's nice to have some reliable sources to see how it looks, perhaps at various angles or an idea of what the character wears.. but noooo what we get is this shit :

6HY1txs.jpg

So you've got to pick between Joe McNeriak, Maestro of Mistmoore and Giant Melanin Deficiency in Black Plate.

Ever the explorer, I went on my own path and picked a mix between his black plate (because seriously who wears blue robes on blue skin, Joe?) and his appearance from his portrait in his very own Castle Mistmoore.. and without further ado.

MmAjp3X.jpg

PaKiDNu.jpg

So like I said I went with the wild-haired portrait of his fabulous self in Castle Mistmoore, except sans the Tudoresque fabulous outfit. Mayong here wears some casual black plate without the shoulderpads because he enjoys a breeze, I picked a pose to show his casual arrogance and "cool" attitude, after all we're talking about the dude who decided to ascend to godhood out of boredom and then went back to the mortal realms because he got bored of that too, he's way too cool for Norrath, he's the Tony Stark of EQ, in fact he'd probably tell you to stop playing MMOs and be a Chad like him. I used an articulated figure for the base but the armor was partly resculpted and entirely repainted, I added the blood gems to give it a more vampiric look, painted the flowing cape the color dried blood, made the base, pedestal and wall, printed the portrait from a screenshot and built the frame around it.. the gargoyle I found on Amazon but I gave it a full repaint and worked on the eyes to give them a glowy look I'm happy with it. I also tried a half-assed attempt at some blood splatters but they ended up hidden behind the figure anyway so fuck that.

As always I hope you'll like this one too. Work has begun on Emperor Ssraeshza but he'll take a while. Also Aten Ha Ra is probably happening. I have a few things cooking at the same time, but I've also decided to make some mini scenes with smaller characters, I'm thinking maybe some Frogloks or some Bixies, fun stuff like that's as much part of EQ as the big peoples. Let me know what you think, or even better if you have some ideas!
From the EQ subreddit:
FAC00F9E-BC8F-4EDE-B0A0-C66DF7FC0B29.jpeg
159DECCC-3E44-48A5-BC78-019FA7879417.jpeg
DB3E6980-06BE-4B15-88E7-02F2522FE079.jpeg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
From the EQ subreddit:

Zaide to the rescue with the true facts of EQ! Damn you, morphing vampire lords!

Well, I got the black plate and reddish cape right at least! :emoji_rolling_eyes: And now I realize that in-game portrait sucks!

While I'm waiting for some more bits and pieces to show up to continue on larger projects, I started working on my first mini-vignette. And I'm re-re-re-reading my EQ Atlas book so ideas are just pouring right in, WTB some more space!

I'm calling it "The Croaking Dead".

Jim Carrey Laugh GIF

Last edited:

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
You raise good points with Mayong as far as a standard 'look'. You can't just give one of the coolest mofakas in EQ Lore a cut/paste look of an Inky, or the Maestro.... and yet by the time they actually DID give MM an actual part in the game in Depths of Darkhollows, they already jumped the shark with the shitty "revamped freeport" aesthetic and it was downhill from there for many of us. So, obviously, Mayong never had a proper "old school" unique look but this:

FAC00F9E-BC8F-4EDE-B0A0-C66DF7FC0B29.jpeg

...this is sweet. Thanks for sharing this Zaide. This looks amazing. I really, really, dig this as far as blending all 3 sources to make one cohesive aesthetic for the guy who never even existed in his own castle. That'd be awesome if Daybreak made that the official graphic of MM. Kudos to whomever compiled that, I absolutely LOVE this pic.

Let me know what you think, or even better if you have some ideas!
If I'm being completely selfish here, I'd put in a request for Trakanon model.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
If I'm being completely selfish here, I'd put in a request for Trakanon model.

I think Trakanon is one of the more interesting dragon designs in EQ (I also like Phara Dar, Zlandicar and Kerafyrm for the same reason), so that's one I might tackle indeed, especially since I started working on those mini-vignettes and that loosens my self-imposed restrictions on scale.. some will be in scale and some will be more like miniature environments to depict almost an entire zone, so Trakanon might fit well into the latter category. I'll see what I can do about that!

• 1Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
I think Trakanon is one of the more interesting dragon designs in EQ (I also like Phara Dar, Zlandicar and Kerafyrm for the same reason), so that's one I might tackle indeed, especially since I started working on those mini-vignettes and that loosens my self-imposed restrictions on scale.. some will be in scale and some will be more like miniature environments to depict almost an entire zone, so Trakanon might fit well into the latter category. I'll see what I can do about that!
Yeah, agreed, totally. Trak had really cool lore and a cool look... and was vastly more interesting as a dragon / character / NPC than the Ring of Scale dragons in VP like Xalgoz, Phara Dar, Druushk etc. Obviously VP was the endzone in Kunark but Sebilis was where the heart of Kunark was at as a zone, story, and landmark I felt.

I'd absolutely love to see what you can produce with a Trak template. Again, just a selfish wish!

• 1Solidarity

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, agreed, totally. Trak had really cool lore and a cool look... and was vastly more interesting as a dragon / character / NPC than the Ring of Scale dragons in VP like Xalgoz, Phara Dar, Druushk etc. Obviously VP was the endzone in Kunark but Sebilis was where the heart of Kunark was at as a zone, story, and landmark I felt.

I'd absolutely love to see what you can produce with a Trak template. Again, just a selfish wish!

Agreed on the lore aspect, I was a big fan of EQ lore (still am, but I haven't really followed it for the last 15 years) and I think it's a shame that the only interesting dragons with at least a little backstory are Nagafen, Vox, Jaled'Dar and Trakanon. Pretty much every other dragon is there as filler for raid encounters, you have no idea who those Ring of Scale dragons are except Phara Dar is Jaled Dar's daughter but that's not really characterization. Even Faydedar, Gorenaire or Talendor have zero backstory.

And they did the same in Velious, even though it's basically the home of Dragons, you only get a little lore behind Kerafyrm, Zlandicar and Yelinak, but every other dragon in that expansion is totally forgettable. Even Vulak'Aerr has zero backstory despite being the ultimate boss in the goddamn Temple of Veeshan.

Fortunately the lore picked up somewhat in Luclin. Kunark and Luclin have probably my favorite lore in the game (that I've played), and Planes of Power was somewhat alright in that regard since they attempted to tell a story directly but it dropped the ball many times.

And then the end times of lore began, the era of "I'mma roll my face over the keyboard until a name appears" in GoD and OoW, that's when I stopped playing.

• 2Like

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Eq has always had a problem telling its story, its a game that would really benefit from a better quest dialog system and some voiceover work. Or books that drop or are found in game similar to the old elder scrolls games. The game to often requires you to go read obscure websites to even know what is going on in a zone.

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
I disagree, creating cookie cutter "lore" items is how you get a shit arcade mmo. Scattering knowledge throughout the world in a couple of different entities that has to be collected and assembled by a community is what EQ is about. In the end most people learn on a website so I do understand what you're saying though but there could be a middle ground between the 2.

• 1Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Finished "The Croaking Dead"..

vy7M9Pk.jpg

io9I6Of.jpg

JszmydM.jpg

Ek3COEM.jpg

7KZYKHN.jpg

As you can see, the idea was to create a scene where a living froglok knight is getting overwhelmed by froglok ghouls during the initial undead invasion of Guk. I wanted to make the ghouls more than just nobodies so the one being decapitated is [a frenzied ghoul] and is wearing a tattered "flowing black silk sash", the armored one with the cape is the [ghoul lord] with two short swords of Ykesha, and the jumping rogue is the [ghoul assassin] with two daggers and... and I realize now I forgot to put the mask of the deceiver I made at his belt.. I'll add it later oh well.

I decided to go for a mix of the "classic froglok" and the updated "Gukta froglok" we got later during Legacy of Ykesha, giving my knight an actual more froggy look instead of the round head the old froglok models are known for. I used the classic ghoul look on the frenzied ghoul but went for a mix of classic ghoul and rotting updated froglok on the ghoul lord and assassin, and mixed the rotting parts around.. decided the lord would be scarier with a half skeletal face and hanging jaw.

This one was a pretty ambitious project despite its small scale because I started from almost nothing, the entire thing is made of a mix of metal wire, styrofoam, tinfoil, silicone, epoxy resin, cloth, rubber and paint. Only pre-existing things were the base that was repainted, the knight's shield and sword, and the "slash effect". The wall and the stone blocks are sculpted and painted styrofoam, and the moss was made from bits of my kid's decaying soccer ball.

Fingers are hurty, ow. I initially thought these vignettes would be less work than larger figures but since this one ended up with four different characters it took more work than usual hah. I started only yesterday evening and finished it today in the evening but I'd say it took a good 12 hours of work since I had nothing else to do this weekend (yay for wife visiting her folks, despite knowing all the pussy I could be getting from showing off my custom EQ figs!).

I hope you'll like this different take on EQ stuff. My knowledge of the wider heroic fantasy world of D&D is limited but to me frogloks are a bit more unique to Norrath than more generic stuff like giants, dragons and giant dragons.. it's part of the charm of the time I guess, when we could be legit scared of pixelated undead frogs.

Your comments are appreciated, as always.

Last edited:
  • 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Oh and here's an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at the making of the frenzied ghoul, since you can't really see the spilling guts and protruding ribs on my goddamn blurry pictures above. That was before I posed him into the scenery and added the hands and feet obviously. (I couldn't post it on the other post as you can't post more than 5 images).

bclNxAS.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Finished "The Croaking Dead"..

vy7M9Pk.jpg

io9I6Of.jpg

JszmydM.jpg

Ek3COEM.jpg

7KZYKHN.jpg

As you can see, the idea was to create a scene where a living froglok knight is getting overwhelmed by froglok ghouls during the initial undead invasion of Guk. I wanted to make the ghouls more than just nobodies so the one being decapitated is "a frenzied ghoul" and is wearing a tattered "black flowing silk sash", the armored one with the cape is the "ghoul lord" with two short swords of Ykesha, and the jumping rogue is the ghoul assassin with two daggers, and I realize now I forgot to put the mask I made at his belt.. I'll add it later oh well.

I decided to go for a mix of the "classic froglok" and the updated "Gukta froglok" we got later during Legacy of Ykesha, giving my knight an actual more froggy look instead of the round head the old froglok models are known for. I used the classic ghoul look on the frenzied ghoul but went for a mix of classic ghoul and rotting updated froglok on the ghoul lord and assassin, and mixed the rotting parts around.. decided the lord would be scarier with a half skeletal face and hanging jaw.

This one was a pretty ambitious project despite its small scale because I started from almost nothing, the entire thing is made of a mix of metal wire, styrofoam, tinfoil, silicone, epoxy resin, cloth, rubber and paint. Only pre-existing things were the base that was repainted, the knight's shield and sword, and the "slash effect". The wall and the stone blocks are sculpted and painted styrofoam, and the moss was made from bits of my kid's decaying soccer ball.

I initially thought these vignettes would be less work than larger figures but since this one ended up with four different characters it took more work than usual hah.

I hope you'll like this different take on EQ stuff. My knowledge of the wider heroic fantasy world of D&D is limited but to me frogloks are a bit more unique to Norrath than more generic stuff like giants, dragons and giant dragons.. it's part of the charm of the time I guess, when we could be legit scared of pixelated undead frogs.

Your comments are appreciated, as always.
I need this.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Fenriz

Molten Core Raider
Glad I got to raid in the same guild as you Runnen. Good work man

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity