Everquest Mysteries

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Warrior- Probably the alpha internet tough guy. Probably the one most likely to stir up shit on the message boards and live in his mom's basement.
List is correct here, and there's good reasons for most of it. Warriors, like others, were forced to group. And because of the mechanics in that era of EQ they were usually in charge (especially if they were pulling, which I did a lot of...). They broke mez, they said when to attack, they chose who to attack. This meant that they naturally led the group, and they quickly found out that if they led like an alpha internet tough guy, the groups went much better and everyone was happier.

That dynamic isn't really true anymore since there's no aggro building, mez is uncommon etc. And in raids the warrior is just a tool of the raid leader, not intrinsically making decisions on the fly (unless they're calling an audible).

Same with enchanters who had to be dicks about breaking mez to get everyone in line. Because you'd always have some needle-dick using a fayguard parrying dagger or whatever breaking mez unless you caught him.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I find it still helps for the tank to be the leader, even in today's MMOs. I fucking hate LEADING raids if I'm not tanking, can't really explain why.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Leading raids as a monk was always great. Being able to be at the very front of pulls and the increased mobility offered by FD always helped. Even if we wiped I was still there to lead the recovery.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Leading raids as a monk was always great. Being able to be at the very front of pulls and the increased mobility offered by FD always helped. Even if we wiped I was still there to lead the recovery.

Yeah the most successful raid leaders I followed were monks. Also being a part of a pulling team was awesome.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Our leader was a monk as well actually, but he was also in Cats in Hats and knew all the strats, pulls, etc.

It was kind of like cheating, since he knew all the tricks and had every zone down pat but I still had fun.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Bringing this back onto the topic of actual EQ mysteries.

In Plane of Mischief, Bristlebane puts on a play with puppets of all the EQ God, Cazic Thule is missing however. When you kill CT in Plane of Fear he drops Puppet Strings!
Mind blown

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Only problem with that is once Velious is out and PoM is a thing, the Strings actually drop off of golems and not CT anymore.

nawcor

Lord Nagafen Raider
I remember my very first memory of EQ....

I was watching a friend of mine explain the game to me and as he come up to the Nro wizard platform and there were quite a few people standing around and I asked what they were doing there..he explain to me the process of new players begging for items and money and said "watch this", preceded to hand them mod rods and watched as they all right clicked and died lol.

• 1Like

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Was there any real purpose in terms of revealing piece of Norrath's lore and any particular drops in PoM? I remember running it for the heck of it but I don't think we ever went back.

I never really understand that place or at least its significance... maybe i'm forgetful.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Was there any real purpose in terms of revealing piece of Norrath's lore and any particular drops in PoM? I remember running it for the heck of it but I don't think we ever went back.

I never really understand that place or at least its significance... maybe i'm forgetful.
A lot of people tried to puzzle out the meaning of the various areas and NPCs in PoM. I think this was mostly related to not wanting to feel like their efforts were wasted. You had to basically clear NToV to even enter PoM, and you probably set your bind there if you wanted to spend more than just a few minutes there. All that hassle (and the desire to be the first to discover something) led a lot of people to assign meaning to what I think can be safely called meaningless. PoM was one of a great number of unfinished end-game zones in EQ's long history of unfinished end-game zones.

Edit: I don't remember exactly when, but they moved the entrance out of NToV and did a minor rework of the zone at some point (Luclin maybe? PoP?). Ironically, when it became more accessible it became less discussed/interesting (at least in the circles I ran in - the lore hungry initial few who were trying to figure out PoM's secrets).

As a mage I was able to do much of the content there and do some investigation for a few days after a NToV raid. While it was interestingly quirky, I remember being very unimpressed. It was clearly half assed and abandoned.

Edit 2: LOL Plane of Mischief is still around. Check that site out. It's old school as fuck. (Best viewed in 800x600 mother fucker.)

Last edited:

Mur

Trakanon Raider
Summoning, destroying, and summoning your pet over and over because supposedly the different names had different strength levels. Goner was always a goner...

I really doubt this one now, but it made perfect sense all those years ago.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Summoning, destroying, and summoning your pet over and over because supposedly the different names had different strength levels. Goner was always a goner...

I really doubt this one now, but it made perfect sense all those years ago.
There was actually some truth to this, but not because of the name. Pets had a level range and focus items ensured they were summoned at the max level of that range. Resummoning pets meant you could potentially get a stronger one.

• 1Like

kudos

<Banned>
The only EQ romance I had was when I was 14 and joined an orc group in Highpass Hold. The group already had a "couple" and we were exping for a few hours and they kept pushing me to basically ask this woman out. Now, I'm pretty sure this woman was like 30 or so. I added her to friends list and we would chat for a few days and then I rarely ever saw her again. I think she just barely played but I ended up joining the top guild on the server by the time she hit level 40 (if she ever even hit that). Pretty sure she was a barbarian warrior or something.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I just wonder how many of the online "romances" people had were with men on the other side, seeing how voice comms weren't really a thing still. I knew plenty who acted the whole gender out to disturbing levels.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
all of them

Worked with a dude who met his wife playing EQ. Imported her all the way from Australia. And before you ask, yes I saw her in person, yes I'm positive she was a female, and yes, I'd even categorize her as attractive.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I played a male iksar and on occasion would get some (supposedly) female people hitting on me who were disappointed to find out I wasn't a dude.

Sorce

Molten Core Raider
This is a bit off topic, but speaking of pet names. Had a friend name his Half-Elf character Dirty Sanchez and about halfway through the day, out of the blue, we noticed a character in our group named Jobartikfrot. We were all thoroughly confused for about 2 minutes as to how we managed to get a mage pet in our group when it dawned on my friend that his name had been changed. Typically, if a GM was going to do something to your character they would at least let you know what you did wrong, but I bet they got a pretty good laugh at this one. I assume they had to be reading our chat to see our reactions. We certainly got a big laugh out of it for sure. That was back in 1999 and we still regularly talk about it to this day. Not too many games since then have created Those kind of long lasting memories.

As for romances, the only thing close to that for me was when I seemingly interrupted a cyber session by asking a Druid for a SoW. He proceeded to tell me what he would like to do to me behind closed doors. I politely turned down the offer and said I would look for another Druid in the zone. I have never had someone apologize to me that much since then. It could have been a ruse but the apologies did seem rather genuine.

• 1Like