Everquest Mysteries

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I played a male iksar and on occasion would get some (supposedly) female people hitting on me who were disappointed to find out I wasn't a dude.

So you're a woman?

62021452.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
indeed mistells were some of the best laughs to be had in game. It always shocked me to find out people were cybering during raids and stuff when I was trying to actually pay attention, and then something filthy pops up in tell or group

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I can't remember what server it was (I think E`ci?), but a paladin by the name of Rahzadmedrial (I think? Could've been Rahzad) sent me a cyber misstell when we were grouping in Sebilis. The /reply feature fucked over many people, haha.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Edit 2: LOL Plane of Mischief is still around. Check that site out. It's old school as fuck. (Best viewed in 800x600 mother fucker.)

One of the big loot contributors to that site was a warrior named Uglar. He was a good dude. Worked for Microsoft for a while, but eventually got laid off. He was also a photographer. He killed himself last year after going completely bankrupt and lost his house. That sucked. I met him quite a few times IRL over the years.

• 1Solidarity

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
On my cleric I would get CONSTANT buff and rez requests from out of fucking nowhere. It would drive me nuts because the people usually weren't in range for buffs or even in zone if asking for rez. Trying to tell someone you won't go to them and buff them makes you an elitist asshole. Refusing to travel and rez someone is the cruelest act known to man.

So, I would frequently just respond as if I was mid-cyber. Nobody gives you passive aggressive shit for that. Random tells you, "can I donite 4 rez plx?" you tell Random, "yes I am baby all the way in" you tell Random, "mistell sorry"

I personally think at least 90% of cyber mistell stories were faked or staged.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
One of my guildmates back in the day would send people random '.' tells to try to catch mistelled cyber and other shenanigans.

Man, that dude ending up knowing everything, it is amazing how easy that shit is to miss when you are in a heated conversation.

• 2Like

A5150Ylee

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
On my cleric I would get CONSTANT buff and rez requests from out of fucking nowhere. It would drive me nuts because the people usually weren't in range for buffs or even in zone if asking for rez. Trying to tell someone you won't go to them and buff them makes you an elitist asshole. Refusing to travel and rez someone is the cruelest act known to man.

So, I would frequently just respond as if I was mid-cyber. Nobody gives you passive aggressive shit for that. Random tells you, "can I donite 4 rez plx?" you tell Random, "yes I am baby all the way in" you tell Random, "mistell sorry"

I personally think at least 90% of cyber mistell stories were faked or staged.

This is exactly what I did too. I tried to keep it extreme and graphic and usually never had them ask again. If they did ask again, I'd just come back with a "can't you see I'm busy? Run along."

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm sorry to say that I begged more than my fair share of Clerics for rezzes over the years. Mainly guild mates, though. But I would always be available when they needed a port. That was my only saving grace as a Wizard.

It's nice being able to self bind almost anywhere so I can quickly port to a city or something and be available to take my friend somewhere. It was even easier once Translocate became a thing. Then I would only have to load 2 zones instead of 3.

Dalven

Saor Alba
<Donor>
The /reply feature fucked over many people, haha.

My dad was the king of mistells, to an embarrassing level. I remember back on live when I was an annoying kid he even mistelled to me about how he was 'going to have to rescue my damn son's corpse again'.

Even 14+ years later when we were playing p99 together he would constantly embarrass me with half his tells bitching about our group mates going straight into group chat.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That's all old people do, whine and complain. It will happen to you some day.

• 1Solidarity

Dalven

Saor Alba
<Donor>
Aye, he loves a good whine. Although if he didn't want to be frustrated by fishing my noob corpse out of oot for the 10th time he shouldn't have got me hooked on EQ.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I had a low level character named "Guild" and for the brief times I'd play it as an auction mule I'd constantly get tells of people who meant to chat in guild text but instead sent a tell to guild.

• 1Like

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
LMAO. Funny thing is, I remember reading that thread years and years ago, shortly after it happened.

It's too bad that we don't really have communities like that anymore. The drama was sooooo good. Nowadays, players just don't give a shit because in-game reputation doesn't mean anything when you have little reason to interact with other players. Hopefully, VR will bring the need for rep back with Pantheon.

Last edited:

Mur

Trakanon Raider
LOL oh man the rants. We had a great board for Tholuxe Paells, and some of the rants, esp. Asheks were great. The drama was such a part of the game; actually made it feel more like a community. Now all I see on forums are the ass kissing posts not deleted by mods.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It is pretty fucking crazy when you think about it. EQ was like a literal drug. Drug addicts steal from the ones they love the most, parents, grandparents, and other family to feed their addictions.

EQ could also cause honest, good people, to go off the deep end and do things like these elaborate scams. When the trail of lies start happening, most aren't smart enough to cover their tracks. That piece of shit on Brell, all those years ago, was a beloved member and officer in his guild and a respected person on his server. He got so caught up in the EQ addiction and wanted things he didn't have, that he took a walk on the dark side. Do the scam, it is easy, its anonymous, get a rush of excitement, and buy that unobtainable item you have always wanted. Nobody will ever know...

Reading the logs it is pretty obvious to me that he never did come completely clean. His first version of the story had 3 people involved, then it was 2, then it was 3 again, and finally 2. It was all him. He doesn't come up with 55k plat out of his own pocket to cover the loss due to a scam he didn't commit. I mean for god sakes, he supposedly knew the scammer IRL and had their phone number. No fucking way. Not a chance. This was all an attempt to rescue the reputation of one account, but having his other accounts take the fall. That bumbling fucktard got greedy and he couldn't stop stumbling over his own stupidity.

His final card to play was to tell a 98% truth and a 2% lie that showed he was guilty of all but the most damning deed, to leave a crack in the door open for forgiveness. Fuck people like him.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It is pretty fucking crazy when you think about it. EQ was like a literal drug. Drug addicts steal from the ones they love the most, parents, grandparents, and other family to feed their addictions.

EQ could also cause honest, good people, to go off the deep end and do things like these elaborate scams. When the trail of lies start happening, most aren't smart enough to cover their tracks. That piece of shit on Brell, all those years ago, was a beloved member and officer in his guild and a respected person on his server. He got so caught up in the EQ addiction and wanted things he didn't have, that he took a walk on the dark side. Do the scam, it is easy, its anonymous, get a rush of excitement, and buy that unobtainable item you have always wanted. Nobody will ever know...

Reading the logs it is pretty obvious to me that he never did come completely clean. His first version of the story had 3 people involved, then it was 2, then it was 3 again, and finally 2. It was all him. He doesn't come up with 55k plat out of his own pocket to cover the loss due to a scam he didn't commit. I mean for god sakes, he supposedly knew the scammer IRL and had their phone number. No fucking way. Not a chance. This was all an attempt to rescue the reputation of one account, but having his other accounts take the fall. That bumbling fucktard got greedy and he couldn't stop stumbling over his own stupidity.

His final card to play was to tell a 98% truth and a 2% lie that showed he was guilty of all but the most damning deed, to leave a crack in the door open for forgiveness. Fuck people like him.

If you're going 4 paragraphs, you might as well explain what happened.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Around 2002, some dude auctions in bazaar WTB Thurgadin BP MQ turn in, $55k. Gets a tell from a low level bazaar mule that she has a friend that would do that. She just needs to call him real quick to get him online. Buyer says, sounds good and heads to Thurg. She supposedly calls her friend who is at work, but his roommate who is home will do it. He logs in, gets ported to Thurg, meets the buyer, takes the money, say's "Arrgg lag" goes offline and steals the money. Stories about the account owner beating up the roommate are told and the account owner just can't be bothered to play EQ anymore so the money is not coming back.

The Buyer /tell 's the female that he was just scammed and she was the one that set it up. He goes to the message boards tells the whole story. Everyone on the board starts to say she is responsible to make it right and strangely she seems to agree and begins acting weird. Everyone on the boards says, just get Verant involved, let them track the money so you can see who is involved. Other people start to come out of the woodwork, like the guy who ported them to the Great Divide. He steps in and starts vouching for her, saying she and he had nothing to do with this but she and him feel bad so they will come up with the 55k. Pretty strange that a level 5 bazaar mule is so worried about her reputation and feels responsible to pay the debt. It is this point and time where the high level guy that did the porting to Great Divide becomes the main suspect and voice in the matter. He starts posting vehement defenses and using using his reputation as an officer in a high level respected guild on the server. It starts to get real and personal, with this guy revealing he is a cripple or something. He doesn't know how long he has to live, so he buys platinum, has multiple accounts, deals in the markets with expensive and rare items. His guild leader is coming to his defense at this time, saying he has an unimpeachable reputation and the nicest and most helpful person in his guild.

Internet sleuths start tracking IP addresses and all these supposedly different people are coming up from the same address. The accused says they are real life friends and sometimes play and even post on the boards from his house. This goes on and on for awhile, the accusations start to hit home to the point that one night. The supposed girl posts a long-form defense coming clean on many of the accusations... and signs off the posting under the other guys name. Her account, his signature at the end... It is like a nuclear bomb drops, everyone is ready to get the pitchforks out and hang this mother fucker from the nearest tree. He knows he fucked up and can't save himself with lies this time. He resigns from his guild and sticks to his story that he never scammed anyone. The money is still on the account of the guy that doesn't play EQ anymore and he was just trying to do the right thing and clear the reputation of his accounts so they didn't get banned by Verant.