Everquest Mysteries

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
This sounds much better than how it ended up. Now the mystery is why they chose to change it. I'm sure it is easier to balance when stats do less and fewer things.
If I had to throw out a guess, it would be that they felt they needed to simplify the calculations being performed server side with each attack for the sake of conserving the limited processing power of 1999 hardware.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Zaide Zaide has done a really great job at telling a bunch of random old ass info while he explores a world for the 4,193rd time. Bunch a old names pop in and talk and its an easy background noise if youre into it.

Thanks for the shout out! I am thinking of capping every stream with a quick 5-10 minute lore discussion which I can upload to YouTube as a separate video for lore nerds like me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
What was the point of that forest zone just outside of freeport? It was the one where you had to run on the wall or just get murdered by all the insane shit in there. I think Kithicor Forest?

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
One of the biggest takeaways I have had from the EQ Developer Interviews that aVeryLovingRobot has been doing, is the fact that individual developers were assigned full zones. At least for Vanilla through Velious... Every aspect from Lore, NPC density/placement, loot, quests, etc.

That just sounds like the funnest job in the world. Pure creative control. No design by committee, just people passionate about EQ given the responsibility to create awesome content. If it sucked or half-assed, it was on them individually and it seems like they had a healthy competitiveness about it.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rime

<Donor>
What was the point of that forest zone just outside of freeport? It was the one where you had to run on the wall or just get murdered by all the insane shit in there. I think Kithicor Forest?

Kithicor Forest started as a newbie zone. A GM event (The Battle of Bloody Kithicor) led to it being turned into the nightmare zone to coincide with the launch of the Plane of Hate. In one of the later expansions, there is a zone you can go to that shows it/explains it.

• 2Like

WorryPlaysGames

Blackwing Lair Raider
One of the biggest takeaways I have had from the EQ Developer Interviews that aVeryLovingRobot has been doing, is the fact that individual developers were assigned full zones. At least for Vanilla through Velious... Every aspect from Lore, NPC density/placement, loot, quests, etc.

That just sounds like the funnest job in the world. Pure creative control. No design by committee, just people passionate about EQ given the responsibility to create awesome content. If it sucked or half-assed, it was on them individually and it seems like they had a healthy competitiveness about it.

I forget which interview it was, but the guy who did Kael found a intern who put a quest mob in "his" zone and he sounded pissed that he wasn't asked before it was added.

Siliconemelons

I always wondered why Rubicite was removed... its not like it was really /overpowered/ - the chestplate was the only piece that "could be considered" op- but the 2 or 3 hp regen was /not that crazy/ and was replaced eventually with the iksar bp...

When rubi was removed it was all replaced with "better" stuff in the class specific armor quests anywho... ravenscale was direct replacement for rogs in drop of the rubi...that could have easily been a quest like every other class.

If I remember correctly, there was /never/ an armor that was "rubicite red" even the dye armor was close but not /exact/ - it was like just their "thing" with removing it and never having it return or anything like it.. was odd.

Edit: Classic Temple of Cazic Thule was a great zone. I was a CT kid moreso than Guk as I could solo while LFG better than I could in LGUK.

• 2Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I started in '99, but they had already removed Rubicite, DE Masks, and of course the Mana Stone.

I think you are right, that Rubicite was removed/replaced with the class specific armor quests. Which did get everyone a bit more uniqueness and personality, versus every melee class running around in bright red. HP regen and downtime were such a big deal back then that it probably was too OP.

Funny fact... Druid, Magician, Monks, and Wizard never got classic armor sets.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
classic CT/Rubi camps was where anti-camp radius rumor was born on our server

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Crafted was in before rubi was removed but it only had AC - it got stats once the others were put in.

I did a ton of trading in NFP (the true trade hub. Go Veeshan !) And got some of the crafted stuff as throw away trade add on's to then the next day is shot up in value when rubi pooped and it got stats.

also I believe at first all the quest armor was to replace rubi so only the classes that could use rubi got replacement-

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ive read why they removed certain items and changed others - but to this day, I still dont understand their reasoning. Especially when so many of the items that were removed entirely were replaced with something else that was even more powerful later in that same expansion or at the beginning of the next.

I vaguely remember being in CT, being too young to comprehend the absurdity of how powerful the Rubicite BP was at the time. So I never even tried to get a group for what seemed like at the time to be crazy hard content. Whats worse, is that I also passed up on weeks of Lustrous Russet* while our Druids were kiting Plane of Fear because we had one bad break into fear where I couldnt get my corpse for days - so I was afraid to go after getting it back. If only I could go back in time and slap the shit out of my younger self.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Louis

Trakanon Raider

The more I listen, the more it really makes me wish I was older during that period to luck my way on to the team. I would have even put up with the living on a coworker's floor.

Every person he brings on brings atleast a couple of really good stories. The story about about Brad raging during a magic game was good stuff.

• 2Like

Siliconemelons

I always thought most epic 1's had great lore that many of us skipped over. They would make great podcasts, so go along in game and do them while explaining stuff etc.

Being a SK I always enjoyed that lore, but imo the Bard epic is...hilarious... you basically finish the maestro's song and give it to an insane bard along with an instrument that can be heard over far distances... and he gives you some sword he found, kthx bye - off to sing this song of death with this mystic instrument that will fill the world.

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Wondering if anyone else experienced this. When I first started playing EQ (Kunark was relatively new), my video drivers didn't work or needed to be updated. So anytime i went in a cave it was pitch black except for my UI or a mob, but the entire inside was black. So like the little area outside of Qeynos where the dog creatures lived, anytime I went there I literally could only see pure black on my screen and then a random mob, I felt like it was the most impossible place and couldn't figure out how to light up the place. Finally I asked someone and they said what the fuck and somehow I upgraded my video card device drivers then I could see everything. So fucking dumb haha.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Wondering if anyone else experienced this. When I first started playing EQ (Kunark was relatively new), my video drivers didn't work or needed to be updated. So anytime i went in a cave it was pitch black except for my UI or a mob, but the entire inside was black. So like the little area outside of Qeynos where the dog creatures lived, anytime I went there I literally could only see pure black on my screen and then a random mob, I felt like it was the most impossible place and couldn't figure out how to light up the place. Finally I asked someone and they said what the fuck and somehow I upgraded my video card device drivers then I could see everything. So fucking dumb haha.

Bro I though that was just EQ back then. Are you saying 9 year old me just had to update my drivers?

• 1Like

Rime

<Donor>
First time I ever experienced being 'Blinded' by an Orc in the commonlands, I thought my monitor died. Unplugged it, turned it on/off, etc.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So what you're saying is... You were Human, and you went into Blackburrow.... and it was pitch black except for your UI...

Futurama-Fry.jpg

• 7Worf
  • 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users