Everquest Mysteries

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Something I noticed when I was playing P99 is how much I remembered every single location in classic. I can run through any dungeon and show or tell someone how to get there. Starting in Kunark however, I noticed that I really didnt know places like I did in Classic. I can tell you all about KC, DL, OS, VP and how to get through the other zones to get there. But the zones you travel through to get to any of those zones or dungeons that arent in those listed, I'm only slightly comfortable with. I remember doing Chardok a few times, Charasis, but most of the stuff.. I just never had any reason to go to those places. There was never really a reason to go to some places in classic, either. But .. I never could pick up on why I knew classic so much better than Kunark and other expansions going forward. I was online, a lot... and it wasnt always raiding.

An easy scape goat would to say that the introduction of the map changed how people got around quite a bit - but even then, that doesnt account for the almost seemingly muscle memory of doing KC, OS, or VP and no where else. Just the conversation reminded me of this, and thought I would bring it up and see if anyone else noticed this for Kunark and later expansion.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
My fav zone of all time was Kaesora. That mother fuckers was so unforgiving for the level range and just downright beautiful dungeon design. So many fond memories.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
56- 60, i alternated between OS and Chardok, with the rare skyfire group to mix things up. i barely remember kaosara other than the ahole scorpion whatever those things were on the way to it. wasnt it just a big hole with rooms along the way? or am i thinking Howling Stones?

btw chardok isnt that hard to learn. its really just a big circle

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
56- 60, i alternated between OS and Chardok, with the rare skyfire group to mix things up. i barely remember kaosara other than the ahole scorpion whatever those things were on the way to it. wasnt it just a big hole with rooms along the way? or am i thinking Howling Stones?

btw chardok isnt that hard to learn. its really just a big circle

You're describing howling stones.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
My first server back in 99 was TZ and I played a wood elf. TZ was supposed to be race teams, but it defaulted to light races vs. dark races instead, since there were so many people on team dark and they dominated for the most part. The darks controlled all the good dungeons (guk, Sola, solb) and had them on lockdown. You could try and make a run into dark territory as a lighty, but it was super risky. Generally you had to wait until the early AM hours when few people were on. Even then it was one hell of an adrenaline rush trying to sneak through enemy lines. If someone recognized your name as a lighty or just suspected something, they would mobilize to get your ass really fast. Looking back, it's surprising how devoted the two sides were to defending their territories.

Anyway, all that is to say that when I switched to a different server a couple years later I knew some zones (the ones that were light zones on tz) like the back of my hand, but other zones, like guk, were a complete mystery to me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I spent a lot of time in Howling Stones. Grouped every day same group. Monk pulling, shaman, cleric, another monk,bard, and me as a ranger tanking and sometimes pulled/splitting. Sometimes we would have someone out and had a chanter come in. It was fun and nobody else in the zone all the time. Sometimes we would go to seb but it was normally crowded or go to the hole and work our way down. We were not uber in the least but we had fun and made progress.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
My first server back in 99 was TZ and I played a wood elf. TZ was supposed to be race teams, but it defaulted to light races vs. dark races instead, since there were so many people on team dark and they dominated for the most part. The darks controlled all the good dungeons (guk, Sola, solb) and had them on lockdown. You could try and make a run into dark territory as a lighty, but it was super risky. Generally you had to wait until the early AM hours when few people were on. Even then it was one hell of an adrenaline rush trying to sneak through enemy lines. If someone recognized your name as a lighty or just suspected something, they would mobilize to get your ass really fast. Looking back, it's surprising how devoted the two sides were to defending their territories.

Anyway, all that is to say that when I switched to a different server a couple years later I knew some zones (the ones that were light zones on tz) like the back of my hand, but other zones, like guk, were a complete mystery to me.

What were the major light controlled dungeons?

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
What were the major light controlled dungeons?

MM, Unrest, Kedge, Perma. But few people xped in kedge at that time and Perma was hard to get to for lights and usually deserted.

Edit: The first time I got into lguk I had already been playing EQ for more than a year. There honestly were only a handful level 50 lights on TZ for the entire first year of it's existence. Norrath was kind of a weird place for those on team light because 60% of it was basically off limits.

Last edited:

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Something I noticed when I was playing P99 is how much I remembered every single location in classic. I can run through any dungeon and show or tell someone how to get there. Starting in Kunark however, I noticed that I really didnt know places like I did in Classic. I can tell you all about KC, DL, OS, VP and how to get through the other zones to get there. But the zones you travel through to get to any of those zones or dungeons that arent in those listed, I'm only slightly comfortable with. I remember doing Chardok a few times, Charasis, but most of the stuff.. I just never had any reason to go to those places. There was never really a reason to go to some places in classic, either. But .. I never could pick up on why I knew classic so much better than Kunark and other expansions going forward. I was online, a lot... and it wasnt always raiding.

An easy scape goat would to say that the introduction of the map changed how people got around quite a bit - but even then, that doesnt account for the almost seemingly muscle memory of doing KC, OS, or VP and no where else. Just the conversation reminded me of this, and thought I would bring it up and see if anyone else noticed this for Kunark and later expansion.
Yes this... when I played on P99 10 years ago (which was still 12 years after vanilla came out) I was able to go through upper guk to lower by memory and I hadn't done it since the first 6 months of vanilla.

• 5Like

Behemoth

Trakanon Raider
Here's a mystery. The time I somehow turned Sontalak into Breezeboot Swordrattler's pet.

EQ000124.jpg

EQ000125.jpg

• 4Worf
  • 1WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How do you turn any mob into another mob's pet? That is something I never saw in 20 years of EQ'ing.

Behemoth

Trakanon Raider
How do you turn any mob into another mob's pet? That is something I never saw in 20 years of EQ'ing.

At the time, you could exploit the gnomes by pulling any AEing dragon on top of them. Similarly I would exploit Kelorek’Dar in cobalt scar by pulling him on top of the otters. This day I had good dragon faction and had a monk pull the gnomes to Sontalak and feign. I hailed Breezeboot to keep him in place in prep to see if he could even dent the dragon if AEd. Sontalak said “I come” as you can see in the screenshot. Then Breezeboot ran all over the zone with Sontalak in tow and indifferent, finally settling back on the boat.

Was sad that Klandicar wasn’t up to get him to fight Sontalak.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
At the time, you could exploit the gnomes by pulling any AEing dragon on top of them. Similarly I would exploit Kelorek’Dar in cobalt scar by pulling him on top of the otters. This day I had good dragon faction and had a monk pull the gnomes to Sontalak and feign. I hailed Breezeboot to keep him in place in prep to see if he could even dent the dragon if AEd. Sontalak said “I come” as you can see in the screenshot. Then Breezeboot ran all over the zone with Sontalak in tow and indifferent, finally settling back on the boat.

Was sad that Klandicar wasn’t up to get him to fight Sontalak.
there used to be a fun glitch that would turn a PC into an NPC . people used to pull their modem plug when they were being chased by deadly mobs and could do a few possible things. it could just kill you or turn you into an NPC which would become unkillable which would kill all the mobs chasing you then pop out after a while. or on the very very rare occasions turn you into an NPC that kills everything and doesnt pop off. it makes it impossible to log back into your char. i knew a dude this happened to. his char became a roaming NPC in south ro and he would wreck anything that attacked him. was like that for weeks til the patch took the server down. pretty neat.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

I dont know if I just never paid attention cause EQ = Shitty/Outdated Graphics, but those pictures of Sontalak reminded me how the Dev's tended to model dragon scales and carapaces into what looks like an exoskeleton of an Ant. Somehow, this makes more sense than huge flying Lizards to me and adds an extra layer of "cool" to them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I dont know if I just never paid attention cause EQ = Shitty/Outdated Graphics, but those pictures of Sontalak reminded me how the Dev's tended to model dragon scales and carapaces into what looks like an exoskeleton of an Ant. Somehow, this makes more sense than huge flying Lizards to me and adds an extra layer of "cool" to them.
shit i never realized that.
flying%20ant%20metro.co.uk.jpg

id6466.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

SeanDoe1z1

there used to be a fun glitch that would turn a PC into an NPC . people used to pull their modem plug when they were being chased by deadly mobs and could do a few possible things. it could just kill you or turn you into an NPC which would become unkillable which would kill all the mobs chasing you then pop out after a while. or on the very very rare occasions turn you into an NPC that kills everything and doesnt pop off. it makes it impossible to log back into your char. i knew a dude this happened to. his char became a roaming NPC in south ro and he would wreck anything that attacked him. was like that for weeks til the patch took the server down. pretty neat.

yes one time in akan anon a couple combinations of LDs / possibly a death / I came back online and my character was a stationary NPC vendor (but I still had my char, like it duped myself into some placeholder npc). I could sell to although it had nothing in its inventory unless items sold. I was like lvl 4-6 just fucking around and don't remember exactly what caused it. I'm sure this was ripe for exploit somehow. Definitely post kunark, but pre luclin.

A GM came and deleted it.

Daidraco

A few of my fondest memories of EQ are from people duping and exp glitching. If someone duped an item in WoW or exp glitched to max level .. I just dont think I would give a shit lol. How could a duped Cloak of Flames during classic EQ time period ever compare to a duped purple from WoW if there was even a comparison to be made.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
the best bug I ever remember is when they fucked up foraging or whatever it was called and the entire zone loot table was available... so people were foraging Cloak of Flames in Sol B.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Mother of God