Everquest Mysteries

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They need to launch a TLP at kunark. I never get to have fun with the lower level zones while leveling.

fjurn

Molten Core Raider
I spent so much time in COM. Really great atmosphere, and decent risk/reward for the level. I miss the pre-revamp when it was mostly undead, and not the weird human refugees... what was the deal with those?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It would be nice if they undid some of the super heavyhanded zem nerfs of kunark too along with that as a start. Com and hs being nerfed into the dirt really blows. The only strong spots left are kurns, kaesora, and dalnir, which aren't as strong as cb, unrest, sola and the like even then. I'd love a kunark start regardless and still probably level there, but, the expansion has been kind of sidelined and neglected in more ways than just skipped for 1-50 leveling.

• 1Like

Zaide

TLP Idealist
If a Kunark tlp launches this year the top groups won’t even enter Kunark until 46 when they go to Chardok and stay til 60.

It does suck that they crushed those exp zones. Even Seb is awful.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

yerm

Imo all it would take is to make everything at least 100% base (same as a city zone like gfay), no com/ot/hs dead zones. Then make nurga and droga = sola, kc = solb, and seb = chardok for zem. Fixed. As it stands, its like you say - no kunark until chardok, and possibly staying in the hole even longer than 46 if you don't have allure or a druid.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Leveling my Iksar alt in only kunark zones back in the day was fun, completing armor and weapon quests as you go.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Leveling my Iksar alt in only kunark zones back in the day was fun, completing armor and weapon quests as you go.

Every now and then, I just log into EQ and just run around FoB for the nostalgia. I was shit at the game when I started, so I spent a goddamn eternity in there and Kurn's, but damn it feels just like home.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Every now and then, I just log into EQ and just run around FoB for the nostalgia. I was shit at the game when I started, so I spent a goddamn eternity in there and Kurn's, but damn it feels just like home.
Lake of Ill Omen was such a monstrously large zone, it felt like it could be an entire game by itself.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I didn't start on Aradune until Kunark but it was exactly as stated above, still Unrest then Lguk until mid 40s. Chardok was best after that but Karnor's CY wasn't terrible either, since it has so many mobs to pull and there are some useful drops. Chardok gets crowded at times.

Part of the issue is that mana regen requires you to sit so much in early EQ. If roaming mobs in West Karana gave twice the xp they do now it would still suck xp/hour wise since time spent running around is time wasted not regenerating. Sitting in one place with a dense assortment of nearby mobs is far more efficient.

Does anyone know why Old Sebilis and Howling Stones both had red orb teleporters as their entrances instead of conventional walk through zones? Is it just because these were keyed zones and that was the only way they could implement a keyed approach?

My second guess would be that they didn't want you to zone out the same way you zone in, but Chardok had that with the conventional walk in zone. Third theory would be they wanted to test the click to zone for other reasons (I believe Veeshan's Peak also had the same type of zone). Not sure why they'd want that though. Last though would be maybe they thought about doing instanced dungeons way back then?

Are there other examples of early click to zone in Classic / Kunark?

I think you're on the right track in that it might have been the only way they could make everyone need a key to zone in, rather than just have someone open a door to let others pass. The Neriak fire pot was click to zone and there in classic although I don't think it ever had a key. It would port you to Lesser Fay if you did (I used a guide character, it worked on that). Kunark had the Timorous Deep fire pot room full of click-to-zone too.

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They need to make exp rates on all the dungeons the same. Spread out the leveling options and entice people do finally do something different. After 6 TLPs, the same leveling path is just painful.

• 1Like

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
They need to make exp rates on all the dungeons the same. Spread out the leveling options and entice people do finally do something different. After 6 TLPs, the same leveling path is just painful.
Add in Mischief loot rules and you got a winner.

• 1Like

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think I leveled in kunark from late 20's. Storming the castle in Frontier Mountains then heading to Ovethere was fun. Fuck that dark elf roaming the zone.

• 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I think I leveled in kunark from late 20's. Storming the castle in Frontier Mountains then heading to Ovethere was fun. Fuck that dark elf roaming the zone.
Ahh, Kunark levelling. People starting shouting "I'm a Lumberjack and I'm okay" across the zone to indicate a drop of that hat...

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Daidraco

PC Gamer: In the early days of EverQuest, a cheater and designer waged a secret war from a San Diego gaming store.
Wait.. so in the end, the guy that was hired to find cheats worked on New World? Cheats destroyed that game! wtf lol
pointing-laughing-hahaha.gif

• 3Worf
  • 1Rimshot
Reactions: 3 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, that guy back in 2000 wasn't really cheating either. He just found a quest, put together a group of folks to assembly line that shit, and eventually got the quest(s) removed/nerfed because of his mass production & efficiency in completing it.

If you wanted to "Hire the criminal to catch the other criminals", it sounds like we had a lot more qualified folks in our "How Much Have MMO's Made You?" thread right on this message board.

• 1Like