Everquest Mysteries

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
if i had to guess which is the biggest most populated zone, probably Dreadlands. that place is monstrous with mobs everywhere.
Sanctus Seru is the biggest zone in terms of NPC density and caster/class variety in NPCs, in conjunction with a high amount of scripted NPCs that fire fairly frequently.

It's over 500 NPCs and I frequently use it for stress testing on emu.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
This document is incredible. Lots of EQ textures that never made it into release, changes in beta, etc.

So for years now i've been trying to find the original elemental models, the ones I saw randomly pre release. I remember a gnome magician with a fat slug worm shaped elemental behind him. In this doc is the first time since then I've seen any pic of a elemental that was different than the release one. But still not exactly what my memory tells me I saw 23+ years ago. I wonder if there was indeed a fat/slug looking elemental before that one in the doc or my mind is just playing tricks on me. I was not a fan of the floating half-man elementals that were released.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Sanctus Seru is the biggest zone in terms of NPC density and caster/class variety in NPCs, in conjunction with a high amount of scripted NPCs that fire fairly frequently.

It's over 500 NPCs and I frequently use it for stress testing on emu.
i leveled up there quite a bit, got all the baubles on all my twinks including all the horsies. rangers can one shot everything in the zone. yeah its a huge zone with lots of mobs, but i dunno, that seems more like an NPC quest zone rather than a pure mob zone. i guess they just have fancy names.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
i leveled up there quite a bit, got all the baubles on all my twinks including all the horsies. rangers can one shot everything in the zone. yeah its a huge zone with lots of mobs, but i dunno, that seems more like an NPC quest zone rather than a pure mob zone. i guess they just have fancy names.
It's an NPC quest zone, sure; but there's a metric fuckton of them, including flavor NPCs.

Here's one AOE stress test from 2012:

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It's an NPC quest zone, sure; but there's a metric fuckton of them, including flavor NPCs.

Here's one AOE stress test from 2012:
holy cow, i wish i could zonewide aggro like that on my alts. those DS buffs would give you multiple levels in seconds. my friend powerlevelled my SK like that in The Grounds or whatever that HoT zone is called in one pull. too bad you have to be 85 or something to get in there.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
holy cow, i wish i could zonewide aggro like that on my alts. those DS buffs would give you multiple levels in seconds. my friend powerlevelled my SK like that in The Grounds or whatever that HoT zone is called in one pull. too bad you have to be 85 or something to get in there.
Thinking too small. I wish I could have used it in any zone and then just FD on top of people. I* would get so much mental retard joy out of that.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Surefall glad was obviously the largst zone. Human ranger that can't see in the dark, you ain't never getting out. Start something else.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Surefall glad was obviously the largst zone. Human ranger that can't see in the dark, you ain't never getting out. Start something else.
my first real character was a ranger. everything in Q hills was being killed nonstop, so i remembered that i saw some bears in Surefall Glade. i headed into SG and sure enough, the bears were all walking around and nobody was killing them! so as i was attacking one i was thinking, wow, i got these bears all to myself. then i get wtfpwned by the NPCs because the bears in SG are protected. then i am completely blind naked in Q Hills. so i run back to SG to get my corpse which had a lightstone on it and some rations. then i fall into the water and try to get out for the next 20 minutes and finally drown. then i run back again. drown again. my corpses had poofed and i lost my lightstone. so i asked around how do i swim and people were just laughing at me in chat. finally somebody said they would help me. i noticed that as it got later in the night less people were on and the euro players were logging in and they told me what i was doing wrong and i finally learned how to swim and soon as i could i got my fishbone earring so i never drowned again. to the end of my playing days i always had spare breathing devices on me, though i used to take it off when i made the run through The Gray to Ssra Temple to see if i could get there in time before i died. i usually made it. usually.

Dear diary.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Felt the same in that corridor between everfrost and blackburrow with my shaman.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I would be surprised if a lot of the players that started in 99 didnt have their first experience in EQ be fucking awful because of a lack of night vision. Never mind I was a dumb ass kid in 99 and the closest thing I had played to EQ was "The Realm."

• 1Solidarity

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I would be surprised if a lot of the players that started in 99 didnt have their first experience in EQ be fucking awful because of a lack of night vision. Never mind I was a dumb ass kid in 99 and the closest thing I had played to EQ was "The Realm."
yep. came right from The Realm. i had a lv 500 or 600 Human Adventurer .
berncome.jpg

i thought a ranger was as close to that as possible. then i went to shaman which was better suited for EQ.
turns out EQ had their own version of glowies

• 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Felt the same in that corridor between everfrost and blackburrow with my shaman.

In the VERY early days it did not matter what race you were if you had a wrong graphics card, the ones that made bronze armor look blue instead of orange. I was a troll and the screen would go totally black when in a zone tunnel. I remember stumbling into rathe mnts at night and could ONLY see when lighting flashed.

Actually only Ultravision that Dark Elves had helped with seeing geography. Infavison did jack shit.

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Can confirm I ran around staring at the pathway on the ground because I had no night vision. My friend also said staying on the path stops you from getting agro lol.

• 3Worf

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Can confirm I ran around staring at the pathway on the ground because I had no night vision. My friend also said staying on the path stops you from getting agro lol.
i remember that one. stay on the path and youll be fine. so i looked up zone maps and tried to find the path to and from all the different towns. and you know what? its sort of true. i mean if you just run on the path, you will go right to the town. even if you died on the way, you will get your corpses back easy peasy. that being said, its a huge load of shit. even in the very first town ever made in EQ. Qeynos, mobs are crossing the path every second. i think the path in West Karanas is super dangerous, passes by the HG camp. even if the mobs do not aggro. the guards can and will come after you if your faction is fucked or you are an "evil" race. the best advice was to hug the walls. even that wasnt always safe.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
In the VERY early days it did not matter what race you were if you had a wrong graphics card, the ones that made bronze armor look blue instead of orange. I was a troll and the screen would go totally black when in a zone tunnel. I remember stumbling into rathe mnts at night and could ONLY see when lighting flashed.

Actually only Ultravision that Dark Elves had helped with seeing geography. Infavison did jack shit.
Yeah, before I figured out what gamma adjustment was, my brand new Ogre warrior kept falling off a bridge in town and drowning. Pitch fucking black even with infravision.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Largest zone is the one you fell off/through the floor of a boat and had to swim to shore lol.

• 2Solidarity

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Fuck early days, barb + the frozen mountains, got lost so many times and hated it. Blind mother fuckers

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't remember glitching through in TD, but definitely in OOT a couple of times. Or having a cyclops hit your newb ass through the boat randomly from infinite distance and the corpse vanishing when the boat zoned. I have had at least a dozen different chats with GMs to summon corpses/etc. The ones on Druzzil Ro were pretty cool; I feel asleep while deep in VP and the GM just laughed and summoned my body without my request to do so because "You fall asleep all the time, RezzZZZZZ" and they were familiar with me hitting them up ><

• 1Worf