Everquest Mysteries

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Dabiggun was pretty good at the jousting.
i wouldnt know, shaman here and i never cared about PVP. our guild had a warrior problem, they would get geared up to the top and then get bored and quit, happened over and over. thats probably why we didnt have any wars in the best of the bests. dudes didnt give a crap. at times we had warriors being 2 fisted or tried to shoehorn in an SK. we had lots of SK.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I loved how EQ used it lore to build specific items of importance like that. I know people that specifically created Erudite Paladins for that item.

Now a days... people would bitch and moan, and create Reddit threads how the game was being too restrictive till the developer caved and made the item All/All.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I will forever be salty about Iksars not being able to use JBB, but it's worth it to keep all the awesome item lore for the game. Keeps things special.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

mtnhmr

Trakanon Raider
I played EQ from release on Povar/CT/Thoxule - quit before the shit-AA-grind-idea.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the trains? The pure trepidation of zoning to Unrest or CT Temple and seeing the word "TRAIN TO ZONE." It was chaos at the best of times.

Or the pure fact you could get rocked by griffins in E.Comm while you meditated with that fucking spell book on your screen - such bullshit.

@Genjiro - I remember your necro and possibly your monk - eye patch human?

@Burnem Wizfyre - you are evil - the game changed when they implemented the loot laws and damage required to KS. A+ for loot caching the common and ninja the rare.

I /agree that character reputation has evaporated from MMO's - probably due to the mass increase of pay to win versus the hard earned bullshit time sink EQ was founded on.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Or the pure fact you could get rocked by griffins in E.Comm while you meditated with that fucking spell book on your screen - such bullshit.

I remember this happening to me in an inn room. Stupid me petitioned, hey griffins can't go through walls!!11!eleven. Guide that answered was probably sighing at my stupidity, but stayed in character saying that those thin walls cannot hold out the awesomeness that is a griffon! Good times. Stupid spell book, glad that isn't a thing anymore even on P99.

• 1Solidarity

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I played EQ from release on Povar/CT/Thoxule - quit before the shit-AA-grind-idea.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the trains? The pure trepidation of zoning to Unrest or CT Temple and seeing the word "TRAIN TO ZONE." It was chaos at the best of times.

@Genjiro - I remember your necro and possibly your monk - eye patch human?

@Burnem Wizfyre - you are evil - the game changed when they implemented the loot laws and damage required to KS. A+ for loot caching the common and ninja the rare.

I /agree that character reputation has evaporated from MMO's - probably due to the mass increase of pay to win versus the hard earned bullshit time sink EQ was founded on.

Hey, I was on Povar for a few years too, 1999 to 2004 (basically quit when WoW came out).. was mostly in <Arcis> then later <Forces Unknown> on Povar, was a dwarf rogue named Runnen. It's cool to see some Povar peeps here.

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
I remember this happening to me in an inn room. Stupid me petitioned, hey griffins can't go through walls!!11!eleven. Guide that answered was probably sighing at my stupidity, but stayed in character saying that those thin walls cannot hold out the awesomeness that is a griffon! Good times. Stupid spell book, glad that isn't a thing anymore even on P99.

Haha with you on that. Did the Griffons make a noise that would clue you in on them being around? I can't remember. I know the Giants did for places like OoM, WC, RM and ghouls did too. It was always one of those "OH SHIT WHERE IS IT" moments.

Was there anything special/hidden in Timorous Deep? That zone was a nightmare if you went out far enough from land.

Rando Secrets Thread:
Secrets of Norrath | EverQuest Forums

Rime

<Donor>
Timorous Deep had lots of good kiting spots for Wizards/Druids. Other than that, it was featured in a few epic quests, but had nothing of consequence in the zone.

Woops! Forgot about the dragon in the Wizard Pots room. Faydadar? Faydeder? Something like that. About the same strength as Naggy, just more of a pain to get to.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
TD was fucking insane on the Combine progression server with those pirates.

Holy fucking shit was that an A+ spot.

• 1Salty

Astennu

Lord Nagafen Raider
I remember you Runnen, of course. Povar for life (Triton is STILL going there almost 18 years later). I owned the raptor island in Timorous after Kunark came out. Quad-kited those things from 52 - 58.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Cool to see you again, Astennu, I remember seeing you in-game and in a lot of pictures of raids on Triton's website back then. I had quite a few nice run-ins with Triton folks at the time, especially remember meeting Dunric and uh.. Gomar? Pretty sure that's the name, big barbarian rogue.. anyway, Povar was awesome. I haven't played EQ in years, only checked in a few times over the last 10 years, never subbed again and didn't realy play, just ran around a few zones, game seems clunky as hell today and I can't play it anymore, but it's like a neverending itch that'll never fade... I look at screenshots or hear sounds or music from the game and it takes me back the way I'd feel about missing my old hometown... I've always been hugely into lore for many games, but I think what made the lore and story feel so special in EQ, despite the fact that the devs didn't really spell it out much and you mostly had to dig for it, was because it was precisely very mysterious... you didn't have all these wikis and spoiler websites out there at the time to spell everything out for you, or to consolidate the story, so you had to rely on hearsay or second-hand stories, and that's where a lot of the mysteries or rumors or legends in EQ came from, some were true some were bullshit but back then it all made it more lively and real. I miss that feeling in modern games, even if the stories are better, more intricate, it's not the same, it felt like a social experiment, a one-time thing.. glad we lived it together.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fenriz

Molten Core Raider
Hey, I was on Povar for a few years too, 1999 to 2004 (basically quit when WoW came out).. was mostly in <Arcis> then later <Forces Unknown> on Povar, was a dwarf rogue named Runnen. It's cool to see some Povar peeps here.

I was in FU with you! And obviously remember Astennu and the Triton guys. Had a few friends in there as well as Rising Ascension. This is Oumarbuk (the OG one before I sold account to Team Archie).

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
Conefed, why did you have to post that vid? The nostalgia is hitting me hard right now. :emoji_cold_sweat:

• 1Solidarity

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I always wondered how much of this stuff was because stuff was incomplete or were they intentional? Especially the islands. I could see how as a Dev/Designer you just filled in some content for fun and as long as you didn't put anything in regards to loot or anything that could be exploited it's cool. The only island I really leveraged for any gain was Spiroc island for some quad kiting.

EQ really was fun in this regard. I don't know any game that still has stuff you could dig up through simply exploration. Maybe Pantheon will bring some of that back but i'm just not sure there's enough of that kind of design and development in people.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I didn't petition, but I ran into an inn to hide from a lion lol.
I didn't know.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I will forever be salty about Iksars not being able to use JBB, but it's worth it to keep all the awesome item lore for the game. Keeps things special.

Had quit my Druid in original and decided to pick it back up when Kunark came out. Started over as Iksar Shaman because I wanted to start in Cabilis and see the new content right away, and couldn't imagine not having SoW (due to prior life as Druid). I hadn't yet found The Spirit Realm • Index page and had no idea but I was thrilled that I accidentally stumbled into increased regen and AC but later found out about the JBB and I was salty as fuck.

No JBB, KoS everyfuckingwhere, but I loved that character.

Anyone remember Csin, Xerxes, Nydwyn from Ec'i/Zeb?

Association of Adventurers, Celestine Sphere, Brolli, Rukkus, Kava also Ec'i?

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
EverQuest may have been a part of your childhood if...
You beat it to Drachnid corpses.