Everquest Mysteries

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The best of the best warrior, was dominated by a guy call "Nanak" from Vallon Zek server. He won easily using a weapon that every other War in the game dismissed. This one: http://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=6638&setcookie=1

First he used a 2hand weapon, when DW user didn't stand a chance due to how the game work in pvp, and second and this is where it's important, the 50% slow proc on the hammer. An instant win when it proc.

He won the tournament.

We put a lot of work into getting him ready for that tournament. Truncheon was the best non-raid PvP weapon for sure, but a lot of the guys who showed up to that tournament had truly baller weapons, including one or two with VP weapons. I played the first round because he was still at church, it was just some bluebie using dual yaks as I recall - another popular strategy. He came on after that first round and dominated for the rest of it, though. Used to have some screenshots of the arena, lots of big names.

EDIT: The Truncheon slow is not what made it so great for warrior PvP, it was the high damage range. Warriors jousted with each other, typically waiting to go back in until their weapon was off cooldown, so it didn't matter how slow you attacked usually. For regular every day PvP where you need to stick on targets, yeah, it was massive.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Some old screenshots, not sure if I still have any from the best of the best, but I'll look tonight:

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I won the magician best of the best for my server(Trebor The Conjuror on Quellious) , but couldn't make the main tournament. I think all I did was stack +hp gear, because at the time I thought resists were kind of wonky anyway in pvp.

The only mage that I thought I'd lose to for sure, fucked up. Some newbie asked for food, so he memmed it to hand some out. Back then, the summon food and summon pet spell icon was the same. He forgot to re-mem the pet and promptly died after summoning food during the round. He sent me a tell afterwards luckily, I almost did the same exact thing o_O

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I won the magician best of the best for my server(Trebor The Conjuror on Quellious) , but couldn't make the main tournament. I think all I did was stack +hp gear, because at the time I thought resists were kind of wonky anyway in pvp.

The only mage that I thought I'd lose to for sure, fucked up. Some newbie asked for food, so he memmed it to hand some out. Back then, the summon food and summon pet spell icon was the same. He forgot to re-mem the pet and promptly died after summoning food during the round. He sent me a tell afterwards luckily, I almost did the same exact thing o_O

The magician who I think won (or had the gear to win) on CT was someone who had the epic and a good portion of the best gear fed to them, even though they didnt actually contribute to raiding, except to summon people down to Trakanon because they got non-kos to sebilis and logged out once they summoned another magician (me). Good times.

Honestly can't remember it clearly anymore, because it was a clusterfuck of "Should the mage epic be allowed?" due to how severely powerful the pet it summoned was. Now that I think of it, I still think they lost to another magician who was a derp in himself. They just stood in rain of swords, or succor, whatever the high damage rain spell was for the time for the entire duration.

Cybsled Cybsled might help me fill in the gaps. Who was the dark elf mage? Wasn't Shade, because he still stuck in the raid for Trakanon, even though I had to keep on point with CoH for ate. I think Jipp was who they lost to.

Last edited:

kudos

<Banned>
The magician who I think won (or had the gear to win) on CT was someone who had the epic and a good portion of the best gear fed to them, even though they didnt actually contribute to raiding, except to summon people down to Trakanon because they got non-kos to sebilis and logged out once they summoned another magician (me). Good times.
I mean that was essentially what playing a Magician was for many years / expansions.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I mean that was essentially what playing a Magician was for many years / expansions.

Oh it absolutely was. My gripe was rewarding the one who logged in for 5 minutes with gear they never stayed logged in to use. Cause EQ loot drama was best drama.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The first cleric breastplate that dropped out of Hate for us went to somebody's level 45 alt because we used /random which was the most fair loot system ever.

kudos

<Banned>
The first cleric breastplate that dropped out of Hate for us went to somebody's level 45 alt because we used /random which was the most fair loot system ever.
Why would you not have a loot rule not allowing alts until mains didn't need? Your guild must have been a bunch of speds.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Reminds of the time a Hate raid wiped on Innoruuk, but he ended up dying(some trash decided to join the fight up there) and he dropped the necro book(second only ever to drop on the server at the time) and the necro epic quest part. Luckily I FD and got to loot them both before they could potentially rot. It was a pug group, but the raid leader always organized Hate/Fear raids and he was ok with me looting both of them after the fact because I almost did Hate raids if he asked me to go. The other necro in the raid wasn't happy, but fuck him it was his first time there. That necro book was so damn rare and such a great item to have.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Why would you not have a loot rule not allowing alts until mains didn't need? Your guild must have been a bunch of speds.

This was in like November of 1999 on a PvP server, there were a handful of level 50s and even the concept of the 'uberguild' hadn't been invented yet, let alone things like raid loot rules. /random is the fairest loot system in that kind of environment because it's the only way you can guarantee everyone the same shot at loot to show up to a raid in the first place. But yeah, it was quickly replaced with merit loot when we formed an actual uberguild by combining with the good Japs.

kudos

<Banned>
This was in like November of 1999 on a PvP server, there were a handful of level 50s and even the concept of the 'uberguild' hadn't been invented yet, let alone things like raid loot rules. /random is the fairest loot system in that kind of environment because it's the only way you can guarantee everyone the same shot at loot to show up to a raid in the first place. But yeah, it was quickly replaced with merit loot when we formed an actual uberguild by combining with the good Japs.
All of the Japs on our server formed a zerg guild so large the likes of which weren't reproduced until the great Kerafyrm awakening of 2003.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Shoot there was only like 50 Japs total on our server, but in high level PvP it was really only us vs them for a long time and they were fucking hardcore. We lost a few characters worth of gear to them, they lost a few to us. I never got how they did it, we had people all over the world available to camp their corpses 24/7, but they were damn near better at it than we were.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

level 45s can't zone into hate NOOB

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
This caused untold drama in Tide (Tunare, EU guild). We did use DKP. We did not account for DKP per character. An enchanter that was playing his monk alt decided to blow his DKP on one of the best monk weapons at the time, to the... dismay of the two monk mains.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I remember reading Aftathott's dissertation on DKP back in vanilla before it became hugely popular. Thought it was retarded, thankfully I was never proven wrong.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
DKP is like democracy. It's the worst loot system, save every other.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
No but you can zone in at 46 and die a bunch of times and then get rezzed back in at 45.
download (1).jpeg