Everquest Mysteries

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Maybe I'm thinking wrong but seems like we pulled him to the EW zoneline and pushed him into the corner and people could zone in and out if needed.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Maybe I'm thinking wrong but seems like we pulled him to the EW zoneline and pushed him into the corner and people could zone in and out if needed.
really any corner will do, our best AoW tank was our gnome warrior. then we realized why, just shrink the tank down and stick hin the corner and push AoW into him and you win, every time. no deaths. makes the encounter almost boring after the first time. only time drama happened was when some overzealous wizard started nuking the fuck out of him too early and pulling agro.

Siliconemelons

NFP is the best trade hub, evils GTFO or faction!

Only the elite (and tall) get to stand and show off their awesomeness on the rock by the bank door.

Take your shady deals to jade where there was less witnesses, cyber in the rooms also.

Who wants to run back and forth with all their phat lewt plat... no NFP is the best.

It's also the best because Veeshan server was the best

Borzak

Torch 2 or forget it. Maybe Shady at the outmost.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
NFP is the best trade hub, evils GTFO or faction!

Only the elite (and tall) get to stand and show off their awesomeness on the rock by the bank door.

Take your shady deals to jade where there was less witnesses, cyber in the rooms also.

Who wants to run back and forth with all their phat lewt plat... no NFP is the best.

It's also the best because Veeshan server was the best
i dont understand why you want to limit trade to just good races or evils who can faction up or sneak there. EC tunnel does away with all that silliness because its a neutral location near a druid and wizard port, plus its one zone away from an evil and good starting city. if you are loaded down with plats, you can plan ahead by binding at the bank, getting a translocate or just a str and sow buff and walk slowly to your bank of choice. some make lv 1 chars for trading and they can just transfer items to buddies or use a separate account. and you never have to get loaded down because the trader char never moved from their spot.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Getting a translocate, lol? Did you even vanilla ‘99 bro? I think not. So, let me educate you a bit.

Coin had weight, a lot of weight. A few thousand plat and you were pretty much crawling around. Just get a SoW you say? Good luck finding a druid or shaman, of level. All the Druids were in Faydwer and the Shaman were either in Quenos/Halas or evil.

Get a second account you say? Didn’t ever happen. Even the 1%’ers that could afford two $2000 PC’s, two phone lines for both their modems, pay the $35+ a month for them, and pay for multiple subscriptions didn’t do it, because it never really occurred to anyone. Way too much of a hassle.

And then there was the simple task of zoning. Say you are in EC and work out a deal, but you are 200pp short on the agreed upon price. You need to run to the bank, necessitating 4 zones. At best it was a hassle that would take 5 minutes every time you crossed a zonline. At worst you would crash, which would take the 20 minute process of rebooting your comp, resetting your dial up, logging back in, etc.

Veeshan was the premiere server, because apparently we weren’t retards. Effective economies and trading required banks and N Freeport had the bank. It’s simple, case closed.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Getting a translocate, lol? Did you even vanilla ‘99 bro? I think not. So, let me educate you a bit.

Coin had weight, a lot of weight. A few thousand plat and you were pretty much crawling around. Just get a SoW you say? Good luck finding a druid or shaman, of level. All the Druids were in Faydwer and the Shaman were either in Quenos/Halas or evil.

Get a second account you say? Didn’t ever happen. Even the 1%’ers that could afford two $2000 PC’s, two phone lines for both their modems, pay the $35+ a month for them, and pay for multiple subscriptions didn’t do it, because it never really occurred to anyone. Way too much of a hassle.

And then there was the simple task of zoning. Say you are in EC and work out a deal, but you are 200pp short on the agreed upon price. You need to run to the bank, necessitating 4 zones. At best it was a hassle that would take 5 minutes every time you crossed a zonline. At worst you would crash, which would take the 20 minute process of rebooting your comp, resetting your dial up, logging back in, etc.

Veeshan was the premiere server, because apparently we weren’t retards. Effective economies and trading required banks and N Freeport had the bank. It’s simple, case closed.
lol, according to furby your whole server was completely retarded cept for the people in FoH and he shit on them whenever he could. Kunark and Velious are classic expansions, they were even rumored continents from release. Translocation was a lv 50 spell. it was a thing and yes as a shaman, people often asked me for str and sow buffs to get to banks even during vanilla. also, people many times traded items for other items. when i played the EC game i never dealt in plats and i was bound at the goddamned bank.

i would camp items and trade them for other items and then bundle those items for even bigger items and rinse and repeat. long story short, i had a manastone, several fungi tunics, cloaks of flames, boxes of al kabors, staff of forbidden rites on my chars and twinks and i never once camped any of those items or paid a red cent for them. back then nobody was farming plats, it was all about the barter. i did this every night after exping. i know wtf i am talking about. if you dont know this stuff then you had a weak trade game.

Borzak

I sucked at EQ. But I think evil players could get to the bank in Freeport and EC was open to anyone.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I remember the "change" business at the Treants in South Karanas. The Treant camp was very good xp and good cash, but nobody wanted to leave their spots unless they really had to. We had regularly people coming up and trading copper/silver/gold for pp with a small markup, so you could stay and keep killing those trees without having to drop all your cash.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I remember the "change" business at the Treants in South Karanas. The Treant camp was very good xp and good cash, but nobody wanted to leave their spots unless they really had to. We had regularly people coming up and trading copper/silver/gold for pp with a small markup, so you could stay and keep killing those trees without having to drop all your cash.

Wasn't the treant camp valuable because they were quest mobs that respawned in 30 seconds?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Wasn't the treant camp valuable because they were quest mobs that respawned in 30 seconds?
Not 30s, no. That's no WoW. But yes, they respawned fast enough vs everything else in the zone that you could keep on killing them as a level appropriate group, and they'd respawn just as you finished meditating (spoken as a healer). Much, much better than the aviaks.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>

Right, is it not amazing how the community fills in all these little niches when game play is slowed down and resources are finite?

I remember being a errand boy for this necro who was ahead of the leveling curve on Rallos, he'd have me run him food/water/forget what else , to whatever zone him and his friends were leveling and he'd reward me with fine steel. Felt rich.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sometime in the first week I thought I could make money by buying food etc off merchants for cheap and then reselling it to players by using a high charisma character. Messed with character creation, highest charisma character I could find was a high elf enchanter so I made one. Didn't know what the class was supposed to do at all.
Didn't make any money but I did end up maining that character for five years (still with all of her stat points put in charisma)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Sometime in the first week I thought I could make money by buying food etc off merchants for cheap and then reselling it to players by using a high charisma character. Messed with character creation, highest charisma character I could find was a high elf enchanter so I made one. Didn't know what the class was supposed to do at all.
Didn't make any money but I did end up maining that character for five years (still with all of her stat points put in charisma)
hah, that reminds me of the time when i first started playing and Qeynos and Qeynos Hills were overun with players in early 99. i needed money bad. i saw somebody running around in Black iron chain armor from runny eye and i simply had to have some. so one time while i was in North Karanas i ran across a merchant selling Qeynos shields. so i bought some and ran back to qeynos /OOCing that i had real Qeynos shields i got from killing Qeynos guards and i sold them for 3 times what i bought them for in NK. it worked better than i could have hoped for.
by the time i was lv 30 i was in a full suit.
3Ji1rpG.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
hah, that reminds me of the time when i first started playing and Qeynos and Qeynos Hills were overun with players in early 99. i needed money bad. i saw somebody running around in Black iron chain armor from runny eye and i simply had to have some. so one time while i was in North Karanas i ran across a merchant selling Qeynos shields. so i bought some and ran back to qeynos /OOCing that i had real Qeynos shields i got from killing Qeynos guards and i sold them for 3 times what i bought them for in NK. it worked better than i could have hoped for.
by the time i was lv 30 i was in a full suit.
3Ji1rpG.jpg

That's a solid scam. I love it.

I remember my first windfall. I was running through EC at level 17 or something. I played really early in the morning so even EC was really dead at those times. As I am running through I see a dude run off and stand facing a corner. Not sure why it piqued my interest but the dude then logged out. I ran over and saw a bunch of bags on the ground so I presumed he was trying to transfer shit between characters. Anyway, the dude had placed a CGS, Paw of Opalla, Nightshade Wreath, fruit boots, and a bunch of that Cleric Quest Plate from vanilla, and a bunch of platinum.

This was right around September 99 so these were extremely expensive and valuable items. I was dicking around on a monk at the time but the windfall here convinced me to play Cleric which I played from then on out for the remainder of my EQ career. Never heard anyone bitch about having items stolen that year and the guy who dropped them was an alt of some kind so no idea who I ended up robbing. I guess he had a really slow PC or connection or both as was common in those days because I never saw another character log in before I ran off.

I ripped people off in trade at every opportunity though. That was always a lot of fun.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
NPCs would pick stuff up off the ground sometimes, saw a few people trying to drop transfer lose things that way. I had a super sekrit spot on top of the wall in NFP that I used to drop transfer, there were a few spots where you could get on top of the wall although you weren't supposed to be able to get up there. Safe from NPCs and other players, never lost a thing.