Everquest Mysteries

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah you can get on top of the walls in South Qeynos by jumping up from the Karana guild. That's where I used to do my drop transfers. One time I fell in the wrong spot and got stuck behind a house in a little nook that was impossible to get out of. Petitioned a GM to get help, he said he was laughing pretty hard trying to figure out how I even got there.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
That's a solid scam. I love it.

I remember my first windfall. I was running through EC at level 17 or something. I played really early in the morning so even EC was really dead at those times. As I am running through I see a dude run off and stand facing a corner. Not sure why it piqued my interest but the dude then logged out. I ran over and saw a bunch of bags on the ground so I presumed he was trying to transfer shit between characters. Anyway, the dude had placed a CGS, Paw of Opalla, Nightshade Wreath, fruit boots, and a bunch of that Cleric Quest Plate from vanilla, and a bunch of platinum.

This was right around September 99 so these were extremely expensive and valuable items. I was dicking around on a monk at the time but the windfall here convinced me to play Cleric which I played from then on out for the remainder of my EQ career. Never heard anyone bitch about having items stolen that year and the guy who dropped them was an alt of some kind so no idea who I ended up robbing. I guess he had a really slow PC or connection or both as was common in those days because I never saw another character log in before I ran off.

I ripped people off in trade at every opportunity though. That was always a lot of fun.
i guess thats a scam, people still got what they paid for at least. i had one person sort of find me out. i said /OOC selling Qeynos Kite shield i got from the guards. somebody sends me a tell, "you know you didnt have to kill the guards, you could buy them off a merchant in North Karanas?" me: /r no way? i never knew that.. fun times, but i stopped doing that kind of stuff because you do end up building a rep and i didnt want to be "that guy" everyone doesnt like. i enjoyed grouping too much and soloers were looked at back then as weird assholes.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
i guess thats a scam, people still got what they paid for at least. i had one person sort of find me out. i said /OOC selling Qeynos Kite shield i got from the guards. somebody sends me a tell, "you know you didnt have to kill the guards, you could buy them off a merchant in North Karanas?" me: /r no way? i never knew that.. fun times, but i stopped doing that kind of stuff because you do end up building a rep and i didnt want to be "that guy" everyone doesnt like. i enjoyed grouping too much and soloers were looked at back then as weird assholes.

Oh no. I was not above legit scamming at all. I was commending you for relieving morons of their money. I always used alts to trade explicitly so I could get away with opportunistic scams. I was trading stuff in EC one time and I was selling a bunch of Kunark spells for $$$$$$ . Dude came and bought some from me and gave me his fungi tunic to give to his other character. I promptly logged off that character and didn't use it again. Transferred to a different bank alt and began again. Free fungi tunic.

Never knew why people were so stupid like that. Always assume you're being grifted. Especially in a game where I don't care.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Oh no. I was not above legit scamming at all. I was commending you for relieving morons of their money. I always used alts to trade explicitly so I could get away with opportunistic scams. I was trading stuff in EC one time and I was selling a bunch of Kunark spells for $$$$$$ . Dude came and bought some from me and gave me his fungi tunic to give to his other character. I promptly logged off that character and didn't use it again. Transferred to a different bank alt and began again. Free fungi tunic.

Never knew why people were so stupid like that. Always assume you're being grifted. Especially in a game where I don't care.
i had something like that happen to me, they just logged off and never came back, it was some junky item so i didnt care too much. it was pretty easy to fool people in game, we had one probie who was an infamous monk from our "competition" guild, but becuase everyone in my guild hated him for being an intentional trainer and everyone in his previous guild hated him for leaving, he made an entirely new char, a haffer cleric when he apped to my guild. we got along for some reason and i was one of the few people who knew he was actually this other guy. he became a member and the guy had solid skills as a cleric and nobody ever knew until like a year later somebody outed him and then everyone was up in arms about it. dude got deguilded and he quit the game. it pissed me off because we had hardly any active clerics in guild and the ones we did have were always salty about everything.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
This is why WoW sucks. People scam or steal loot, no one ends up caring because there is no community and you never see them again.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My brother and I used to kill wood elves in OOT for Purity Belts and sell them in EC to people who didn’t want to fuck up their Kelethin faction. We made a decent amount of plat and wasn’t that hard to work your faction back up. Plus Faydwer eventually sucked so no reason to go back to GF much anyways except for running to Mistmoore.

• 1Like

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Between sisters for purity belts, cyclopes for gems, and sirens, I probably spent more time in OOT than any other zone on various characters.

• 1Solidarity

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Not a mystery, but visiting my parents and cleaning some of my old shit out of their house and found some cool nostalgia. Sadly missing are my Kunark cloth map and my Kunark Prima Strategy Guide. My god, I can’t tell you how many times I read that thing start to finish just to learn about races and some lore and as much about the game as I could. Also sad I wasn’t also able to snag the Iksar banner at that Fan Faire, but young me ran out of money on the first two auctions.

C0B8E935-EBA4-4F26-9204-B9DC5C6165F0.jpeg

• 7Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
we had a guild cleric who was working this quest, he was real fucking obnoxious about it too, like he didnt want to come on our dragon raids during veliuos. well too fucking bad. the guild at that time was aligned to the coldain, we killed Dain more times than he was worth and the coldain shawls and rings were better loot opportunities. so this fucking guy would bitch and moan during every dragon encounter that might tank his CoV faction. then /quit before the end of a dragon fight which messed with the whole heal rotation thing. he basically pissed everyone off. one day he announces he finished his stupid quest and showed us the reward, i dont remember what he got, but it wasnt worth the bullshit he put us through, i think he got a lot of shit in tells and next week he deguilded. good riddance.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I could watch videos of Unrest all day. I spent more time in that zone than anywhere else while leveling. So much nostalgia.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
people are making billions off mobile games. EQ is already free with online purchases. whats stopping them from mixing their EQ chocolate with App peanut butter? they could have developed this years ago or just sold/leased the licensing rights. companies are really stupid sometimes.

Have you ever played Order & Chaos, on iOS? It's basically a WOW clone, but I mean like a legit, 1:1 WOW clone.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I could watch videos of Unrest all day. I spent more time in that zone than anywhere else while leveling. So much nostalgia.
heres a bonus one i didnt link to.
honestly have no memories of Unrest, other than i think i went there once for an epic piece. and im not really sure about that. i did all my lowbie leveling in the the karanas and then highkeep. got 50 in sol b King room.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
dude put out a long one where he camps Quillemane, he spawned 3 of them in an hour and tracked their pathing. of course it only works if you already have Quillemane up to start with and a ranger. you can skip to 32 minutes where he finally kills him and tracks the PHs as they pop.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users