Everquest - Phinigel server

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Making raid mobs spawn on 24 or even sub 24 hour timers was the worst thing DBG ever did.

Flaw

Molten Core Raider
Would love to see how geared some people are in the next few months. Miss my shaman :( was hoping I could hang in long enough to see the puma line of spells

gugabuba

Golden Knight of the Realm
Making raid mobs spawn on 24 or even sub 24 hour timers was the worst thing DBG ever did.

This decision was fine until people made it horrible by STILL deciding they needed to monopolize these.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zaide

TLP Idealist
This decision was fine until people made it horrible by STILL deciding they needed to monopolize these.

Being a "competitive" raid guild in eq is defined by your ability to monopolize relevant raid content and get server firsts.

If the top guild shares content then this gives other major guilds a recruitment bump which threatens the status of the top guild. It also gears them out which increases the odds of losing server firsts.

Asking the top guild to share, especially equal sharing, is the same as asking it to stop existing altogether.

• 1Like

gugabuba

See that perspective is why we couldn't have nice things before Phinigel. I wouldn't blame Daybreak's faster spawns, though. P99's raid scene is plenty shitty with slower spawn times. Anyways, I don't see why you couldn't define top guild as "we can [almost] always take what we want". Rather than "we take everything, even what we don't really want and burn people out".

Although on balance Phinny is much more enjoyable, I miss the competition from previous servers a little. Have other games tried 'competitive PvE' and done it less painfully than classic EQ or is it just not tried in favor of instances?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
At the start of this last batch of prog servers when there were multiple guilds are competing for targets, winning some and losing some, it was great. After one guild had risen to the point or others had fallen to the point that a single guild took everything they wanted every spawn the situation turned cancerous. The people kept out eventually leave and that negatively impacts the server. For the people at the top killing the same fucking shit every day as a denial mechanism it gets old doing that for months on end waiting for the next batch of content. It's just generally shitty for everyone.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
ArcheAge had competitive world PvE. It was open-world PvP though and was frustrating in many respects. One of the most important enemy bosses could be bugged out by one person who knew how.

A lot of competitive PvE boils down to who has the ability and desire to camp mobs, which is like competing to see who the biggest loser is. It's also greatly impacted by which group has the technical ability to put streaming/automated spawn campers in. We had several private twitch streams with characters watching spawns 24/7. You get a little bit of skill-based action where a team who can rally quickly and effectively can beat a slower force, but again that is usually a competition to see which guild has a playerbase that is active 24/7.

Sterling

El Presidente
Kind of sucks I missed out on the whole FG thing and only have slightly over 100 AA so far instead of 2-300 like the people that did it!

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Whats the TLDR going on with instances? All I'm seeing is people losing their fucking minds about instances being gone from Phinny.

Sterling

El Presidente
Whats the TLDR going on with instances? All I'm seeing is people losing their fucking minds about instances being gone from Phinny.
They took down SSRA due to all the various exploitable bugs. They supposedly fix it, put it back in. Now no instances spawn with bosses and give everyone a 6+ day loot lockout that spans all instances and just gets padded if you try another instance and kill even a trash mob. GG 12 day lockouts.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
At the start of this last batch of prog servers when there were multiple guilds are competing for targets, winning some and losing some, it was great. After one guild had risen to the point or others had fallen to the point that a single guild took everything they wanted every spawn the situation turned cancerous. The people kept out eventually leave and that negatively impacts the server. For the people at the top killing the same fucking shit every day as a denial mechanism it gets old doing that for months on end waiting for the next batch of content. It's just generally shitty for everyone.

try doing NTOV every 2 days and pog every other 2 days. so ntov pog ntov pog ntov lol

what a cluster fuck with the instances.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
What's the deal with people pulling Emp to the zoneline? Are guilds actually doing that for their kills? Lol how can you so obviously exploit shit in front of your whole guild and not have a mass exodus?

Sterling

El Presidente
What's the deal with people pulling Emp to the zoneline? Are guilds actually doing that for their kills? Lol how can you so obviously exploit shit in front of your whole guild and not have a mass exodus?
Apparently so. And because pixels!

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider

That Gorenaire in her natural habitat video is hilarious dude, I couldn't believe that was real and not some troll thing.

• 1Like

Zaide

TLP Idealist
That Gorenaire in her natural habitat video is hilarious dude, I couldn't believe that was real and not some troll thing.

Bro that was one of my favorite moments on LJ.

For anyone who doesn't know what we're talking about

The moment they engaged her inside the tunnel I knew it was over.

Last edited:

Apostolos

Yerm.. I think those two expansions are still being released together. I personally am kinda glad. If I never have to see Uqua again it will be too soon. Others may not feel like the same, but meh.

Last edited:

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Bro that was one of my favorite moments on LJ.

The moment they engaged her inside the tunnel I knew it was over.

Yawg tells me some of the Lockjaw stories which hard to believe but just lol. We're lucky the instances give the free handouts and keep the autistic guilds out of sight. I've heard the horror stories of Fippy and Lockjaw and to be honest it doesn't surprise me.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Yawg tells me some of the Lockjaw stories which hard to believe but just lol. We're lucky the instances give the free handouts and keep the autistic guilds out of sight. I've heard the horror stories of Fippy and Lockjaw and to be honest it doesn't surprise me.

Is Yawg in SA?