Everquest - Phinigel server

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Ding 60.
Now to go compete with all the botters for ground spawns and get fucked on drusella. Weeeeeeeeeeee.

porkchop sandwiches

Potato del Grande
Hey all,

We're grateful for the continued support for progression servers like Ragefire, Lockjaw, and Phinigel. We're always working to improve and update EverQuest for all of our players, and we've got some updates that we're rolling out for progression servers this year. Since things will be different than what some players on Ragefire, Lockjaw, and Phinigel are expecting, we wanted to get this conversation started early and explain why the team has decided to make these changes.

Our goal is to improve the overall player experience. In order to do so, we're going to change up how some expansions unlock on progression servers, compared to how we've handled this on TLP servers in the past. We're also adding additional time between unlocks for some content on Phinigel to give us more time to build instancing for Planes of Power content.

Phinigel Server Unlock Updates

As many of you are aware, The Scars of Velious is scheduled to unlock on the Phinigel progression server on Wednesday, May 25, 2016.

Normally, content unlocks every twelve weeks on Phinigel. However, it's important for us to do Planes of Power instancing the RIGHT way on this server and build it correctly, not just for Phinigel, but for any future server that will use the same systems. Unfortunately, after scoping this out with the team, it's become clear to us that doing this on our current schedule would negatively impact our timeline for our 2016 expansion and other updates the EverQuest team is working on this year.

To give the team more time to build proper Planes of Power instancing, we'll be adding time to the unlock schedule for The Shadows of Luclin and Planes of Power/Legacy of Ykesha. The period of time for each of these unlocks will be six weeks longer.

With these changes, the updated schedule of content unlocks on Phinigel after Velious now looks like:
Shadows of Luclin is scheduled to unlock on Wednesday, September 28, 2016.
Planes of Power & Legacy of Ykesha are scheduled to unlock on Wednesday, February 1, 2017.
Planes of Power, Legacy of Ykesha, and Lost Dungeons of Norrath Unlocks

Once it's time for Planes of Power to unlock on your server, Legacy of Ykesha content will unlock with it at the same time.

On Ragefire and Lockjaw, three months after Planes of Power & Legacy of Ykesha unlocks, we'll open up Lost Dungeons of Norrath automatically (no voting required).

On Phinigel, twelve weeks after Planes of Power & Legacy of Ykesha unlocks, Lost Dungeons of Norrath will open to players. Gates of Discord and Omens of War will be twelve weeks after Lost Dungeons of Norrath.

Gates of Discord and Omens of War Unlocks

Gates of Discord is, charitably, a difficult expansion at level 65. To make this launch smoother, we're mitigating the difficulty jump by opening Omens of War at the same time Gates of Discord unlocks on your server. By both increasing the level cap and opening more areas for players to spread out, our goal is to provide a better player experience in that era of content.

Expansions after Omens of War

We've been having discussions internally regarding the length of time players spend at various level caps. For example, if Dragons of Norrath, Depths of Darkhollow, and Prophecy of Ro unlock on their current schedule, players would spend a considerable period of time without a level cap increase. At the same time, we don't want to confuse players by making too many changes to unlock dates for expansion content.

While there's no information to share with players at this time about unlock dates for expansions after Omens, we want to set expectations for the future of progression servers as clearly as possible. We'll be looking at what players do in game and evaluating feedback before making additional changes to content for progression servers after Omens of War, and we're leaning towards solutions that would result in shorter periods of time on progression servers without a level cap increase.

We appreciate the continued support of our players for progression servers, and our team continues to work towards making these servers an awesome place to experience different eras of EverQuest's history.
https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/...hanges.232355/

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Man, I'd almost consider playing for Luclin /pop, I was hesitant since 3 months of PoP wouldn't be long enough for my casual ass.

Titanis

Trakanon Raider
Thinking about starting on this server. I love playing melee characters, War, Rog, Brd or Mnk if possible. Which one of those would be my best bet?.

Thanks!

Sterling

El Presidente
Man, I'd almost consider playing for Luclin /pop, I was hesitant since 3 months of PoP wouldn't be long enough for my casual ass.
The problem with extending PoP is that it's a really shallow expansion for raiding. It's literally 1 zone with 9 bosses and some trash. LDoN is better than people seem to recall though, but still.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Releasing GoD and OoW together is just terrible.
This was the original intent back in the day and why GoD was broken as fuck. They were supposed to be the same xpac. They split it in half and rushed GoD out the door without the level increase and the rest was history. However, I will say over time it was re-tuned down so I have no idea what impact this will have as a level 70 blowing through GoD content.

I am pretty sure a large chunk of the playerbase disappears after PoP, per normal progression servers.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
God isn't that hard anymore tho unless they go out of there way to buff it. It was well balanced on fippy for the raid size I feel, and we are stronger here than fippy.

But the longer unlock for velious and luclin is smart. Tons of content in those expansions.

Sterling

El Presidente
God isn't that hard anymore tho unless they go out of there way to buff it. It was well balanced on fippy for the raid size I feel, and we are stronger here than fippy.

But the longer unlock for velious and luclin is smart. Tons of content in those expansions.
Yeah, GoD would be just fine by itself. Also If they need more time to get PoP right or whatever I'd rather they do normal Velious time and extend Luclin even further. Not much in Velious outside of raiding, while there's a bunch of stuff to do in Luclin and for slower people Velious raids are largely still relevant in Luclin.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
For sure if they find in September that they need another month it should all be luclin. Velious for 4 months won't be bad cause there is a good amount of content but longer than that would suck. The decision to not load balance tov is a bad one in that regard since hot is a great area for small raids and strong single groups.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
...But the longer unlock for velious and luclin is smart. Tons of content in those expansions.
I disagree. We are 1 month and a 1 week into Velious on Ragefire and I am bored already. I have my 6 toons in near full quest armor (minus some Robes). We've killed warders repeatedly and basically started Vulak farm. There's fuck all else to do. Sleeper will be wokenverysoon. Yet, we still have another 5+ months of Velious to go. Zzzz..

Luclin will be good for a longer burn, as it starts the AA farm.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The decision to not load balance tov is a bad one in that regard since hot is a great area for small raids and strong single groups.
There's a lot of complaints about this over on the DB forums. We assume it was to prevent guilds moving around TOV and simply zoning into main pick, avoiding Aary and whatnot. It certainly screws over armor farmers though.

FYI: with the right group make up (tank, cleric, bard, chanter to slow and mana drain gaters, + 2xdps), East ToV armor and symbol dropping named and West ToV armor mobs are single groupable.

Grimey

Golden Knight of the Realm
I thought Darkwind was "absolutely not" going to ever wake the Sleeper.

EDIT: Nevermind, y'all said on your website a while ago that you planned to awaken it eventually.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I thought Darkwind was "absolutely not" going to ever wake the Sleeper.

EDIT: Nevermind, y'all said on your website a while ago that you planned to awaken it eventually.
Yep, it was always the intent to eventually wake it. We have SoDs being banked, most have gnome masks. Monk Robes haven't been forthcoming, but overall the post-awakening loot is far better and favors everyone vs the few for SoD, Gnome mask, Monk Robes on 1.0 warders.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The gnome mask alone makes me want to play a rogue or a bard, but regardless, I could never play enough to be in a raid that I'd get one so it's fairly pointless. Pleb casual!

Since hitting 60 on my Enchanter I haven't really logged in since. Thought I would keep interest but that hasn't been the case and hitting 60 was my wall and just stopped.

I do agree thought that the changes do seem like they are at least putting some thought into it and trying to make it better.