Everquest - Selos Server - 20th Anniversary Casual Server

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
No game has ever replicated the feel of the original Everquest animations. I really have no clue why I love them so much but nothing comes close.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
With an infant at home and WOW Classic on the horizon, I decided I'm going to become a filthy casual this time around. After playing Bard on all the previous TLPs, I want to shake it up a little. I'd like to take advantage of Iksar being available at release, but torn between Beast and Necro. Thoughts?
A few posts up, Torok said Beastlords are basically mediocre at everything. This is a very true statement.

Beast's have a middle of the road Pet (similar to a Necro's), serviceable sustained DPS, meager Heals, and they can be 'ok' Tanks by casting their slows. They have some nice buffs, but like most of the Hybrids, they are vastly inferior to their parent classes. Their Haste & Mana Regen are definitely nice to have, but they only come into relevance late in the classes life-cycle. They are a fun class, but you aren't ever going to be anything more than average at any task. I'd only recommend it to someone that thinks Shaman's are super boring, but want still Slows, Haste, SoW.

Necro's on the other hand are bad mother fuckers. Raiding is the only place where they never quite seem to reach full potential, but they aren't a complete throw away. A well played Necro can and should play the foundational role of any group. You can pull, you can play an off-healer role keeping the non-tank group members, you can give mana to reduce downtime, you can play a traditional burst dps caster role, you can mez adds, you can solo a mob while your group deals with the primary target... the issue is that most necro's are lazy fucks when they group. They send their pets and cast 1 dot that only does 30% of its damage before the mob dies. Don't be that Necro.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
No game has ever replicated the feel of the original Everquest animations. I really have no clue why I love them so much but nothing comes close.

There really is something perfect about their fluidity and scale with with world around them.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Changing the original 2HB animation to the same animation as 2HS was the biggest travesty of EQ

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Luclin DE 2HB is the worst, swinging some big mace like it's a one-hand pool trick shot... wtf were they thinking

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There are so many problems with the Luclin models. Going back and trying to re-skin thousands of items for new models at this point is an unrealistic task... but never revisiting the animations of the Luclin models is a travesty. They were fucking awful and inferior to their 1999 originals. "Here is something new, but it is worse than what you already have! Hope you like it."

1. The models were a re-imagination of what the races even looked like and the personalities they conveyed... Uhhh hehmmm, Ogres & Trolls. You do this shit in game sequels, not as an update to your already established world.
2. They were half-assed and lacked the polish of the originals. They created a 1-handed item attack and a 2-handed item attack, never mind a Lance might be used completely different from a War Hammer. Another example: If you had a knife or a rapier, the original models poked with it, wheres with the Luclin models, your character would try to slash with it. It is just pants on head retarded.
3. The animations were a travesty. The movement and running looks stiff and unnatural. The male and female models shared the same terrible animations for their race, again looking totally natural for both.
4. Items are held and used in a matter were they clip through your own characters body. They took the default standing animation when holding items, then did not worry about what that item might look like or do if you sat down, started running, crouched, got on a mount, or whatever. They just said, fuck it, who cares.

• 1Like

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
The way that the luclin ogre model would throw their whole body into a slashing animation always just annoyed the hell out of me.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
So fucked up to think that there are people out there that prefer the Luclin models...

• 2Solidarity

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Changing the original 2HB animation to the same animation as 2HS was the biggest travesty of EQ
Whoah whoah... this happened? When?

They took out the mild downstroke into jabbing poke animation and just made it the big overhead swing?

This is an outrage!

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
I understand that they wanted to try and make the models look more modern. I get it. But how the fuck did they go from this:

latest

to this:

1243769-race_troll_luclin.jpg

• 1Like

Needless

Toe Sucker
Iksars almost looked cool. Then they move and the animations are hot garbage

• 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Animations are definitely the make or break, you can make a stick figure appealing if it's animated right. It's also one of the things WoW absolutely nailed.

I remember they were talking about redoing the models (again) at one point, guess it never happened.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I think a few of the Luclin models look a touch better aesthetically (Ogre, Troll, for example) but they all move terribly or betray the feeling of the original. Ogre is a good example, imo -- the Luclin model presents them as an imposing brute (which is closer to lore?) but the original has them as a fat dumbass.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I think a few of the Luclin models look a touch better aesthetically (Ogre, Troll, for example) but they all move terribly or betray the feeling of the original. Ogre is a good example, imo -- the Luclin model presents them as an imposing brute (which is closer to lore?) but the original has them as a fat dumbass.
I’m pretty sure in lore they angered the gods by blocking all the bank doors.

• 4Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users