Everquest TLP - Aradune and Rizlona Servers (Now with real customer service)

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
MQ2 use is a lot more common and non-controversial outside of truebox TLPs, albeit there are still people that hate that it exists. I'm not sure how many people care at all about the MQ2 inside baseball, but MQ2 has not actually been that easy to use on a Truebox server. It's been somewhat difficult to use unless you're a programmer with extensive C++ and reverse engineering experience, or a programmer who has maintained a "parallel fork" of MQ2. The tldr is, Mule went and actually met Daybreak and came back to the MQ2 developer community with the claim that he would need to create a plugin--MQ2IC that would be closed source and required to actually build MQ2. There was talk that this would "keep MQ2 off of Truebox servers and would represent an agreement with Daybreak that on all other EQ servers using this version of MQ2 was safe and approved." I don't know Mule well enough to know if he lied or if he misunderstood, or maybe he told the truth and things have just changed, but the reality is Daybreak never really viewed this as any sort of agreement. MQ2 is, always has been, always will be "hacking' the game client to edit its in-memory variables and etc, and the company views it as intrinsically illegitimate.

However with the understanding that there was an "agreement" the other developers involved in MQ2 (guys like Dannuic, Brainiac, Knightly) more or less went along with it. A big issue is Mule was doing a majorly disproportionate amount of the work on the project, including being solely responsible for every new build on patch day where he would work to get it up and running within a few hours of most patches. So way back in 2015 the other Devs could've told Mule no and gone their own way, but they ultimately kinda caved to it because of that workload issue. Over the years the other devs have asserted that Mule put more and more of MQ2's basic function calls into MQ2IC, or required a call to MQ2IC to function, this made MQ2 harder and harder for anyone who didn't have MQ2IC's source code to work on or understand the project. There is an assertion by these devs that this was a concerted effort by Mule to eliminate anyone else who really touches MQ2 code as he doesn't actually want an open source project (as Plazmic who created MQ2 originally intended and released it) because a truly open source project of this nature would be much more difficult for Mule to monetize.

So for about 5 years the typical MQ2 offering is a Mule build distributed through MMOBugs or Redguides (he does builds for both, and both include MQ2IC--MMOBugs includes a number of plugins that are called "active hacks" and people view them as more likely to get you banned.) If you run these versions of MQ2 out of the box you simply aren't playing on Truebox with them. However enterprising people (including some of the other MQ2 devs I've mentioned in this thread) reverse engineered MQ2IC years ago and could work around this no problem, none of those devs I mentioned (to my knowledge) are your typical TLP MQ2 krono farmer trash, but they were able to RE it because...theyr'e experienced at reverse engineering shit. Anyone with similar experience could reverse engineer MQ2IC and make a version of it that runs in their build of MQ2IC that lets all the other handy plugins from Redguides etc work, but without actually preventing you from using Truebox. I suspect most of the automated krono guys on truebox servers were simply using a custom reverse engineered replacement for MQ2IC as that is the "most direct" route to getting by.

The other route, and I know of like 2 people in all of EQ who were doing this (but there could be more), simply took the pre-MQ2IC versions of MQ2 (where everything was open source) and simply updated and maintained a version without it, that has worked ever since. This sounds simpler but is actually much more work than the reverse engineer step--if you go this step you're basically "your own Mule", meaning all the work he has to do every patch to get the software running again, you instead have to do yourself. By just reverse engineering IC you can basically utilize the work Mule does for you.

To my knowledge most people who had or used these "Truebox" versions of MQ2 were people who krono farm heavily or specific griefers, who have no interest and never had any interest in widely sharing it. A few people have sold these builds for hundreds of dollars, but most were kept close to the vest. So the reality is a casual person, for example a Foaming or a Yerm i.e. Rizlona players, were not going to be using these versions of MQ2 that basically require they be programmers and/or have a close friend that is one.

The difference in ease of use with MQ2 that just "works out of the box" versus one where you have to get around Mule's shenanigan is significant, as literally some of the dumbest people I've ever known are automating large groups of characters on live with out of the box Redguides MQ2, but virtually none of these people would be capable of reversing engineering an IC bypass or maintaining their own "private fork" of MQ2.

MQNext takes us back to the world of pre-2015 or so MQ2 basically, in that there's no real lock down to prevent it from running, out of the box, with all the user friendliness of Redguides MQ2, on any server (including a truebox server.) The only singular hitch is the actual compile version that Redguides is going to distribute will basically have a simple flag that disallows it to run on a truebox server. But unlike Mule's blocker that was embedded in a closed source DLL, MQNext is truly full open source, so you can literally just pull down the source from github, compile in Visual Studio (and do this every month after the Redguides team patches) and you'll be good to go. For tech novices this may sound hard, but right on the home page of MQNext on Github are step by step instructions for doing this that I can assure you virtually anyone who is able to get ShowEQ working will be able to do. This is a very major and significant simplification of using MQ2 on Truebox servers, and as awareness of it spreads throughout the community my expectation is that its use will become massive on these newer TLPs.

I sit with my popcorn to see how it all turns out.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
Oh and a fun little bit of drama--the MQ2IC plugin Mule has required all of his customers to run for the past 5 years, for awhile it was actually logging information like character name, account name etc of everyone who used it and was sending in game mails to GMs with that information. A lot of drama broke over that, Mule says it was inadvertent and was limited in scope, other people aren't so sure, but the reality is if you were using an MQ2IC version of MQ2 in the last 5 years there is at least a chance the plugin was "ratting you out" to Daybreak.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea, I'm saying that the current /follow command just recalculates the shortest path between character A & B and follows that. Hence why when you go around a corner it doesn't go around the corner, but shoots straight into the wall and then slides down the wall around a corner. /stick command would actually remember your coordinates around an obstacle and take the same route.

Anyway, /stick hold I remmeber using a lot for healers, and /stick uw was amazing as well.

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
good read sieger

for what its worth, the plugin list for mqnext is rather small, just the standard stuff like custom binds, item display stuff, and map (but myseq already does this). But of course there are macros, but a lot of the core TLO's of mqnext are not in and therefore many macros that run now for massive automation wont work (and also require a lot of other plugins.) You'll have basic macros though. However, mq2eqbc doesnt come with mqnext so if you're thinking of controlling a bot army with mqnext, its not possible. Sure you can add the mq2eqbcs source to your own compile and try to build it, but i guarantee there are missing TLO's or mq functions which will not make it work right out of the box (or else they would include the plugin in the source.) Also mqnext crashes a lot (1 example is just from dieing) - so people try to bot army with it are going to be frustrated.

I don't think it will be a huge deal having mqnext. You might get some chodes that can automate a single spawn camp, but autohotkey could do that for you (albeit a little harder.)

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
Actually I'm pretty sure almost all the TLOs work and most of the major "core" plugins like eqbcs work as well, they just aren't part of the github repo for MQNext so you have to set them up yourself. When you install a Redguides VV build all of that is done for you--and eventually Next is going to be distributed through the Redguides launcher (albeit in its compiled form, obviously, people wanting to use it to cheat on TLPs will still have to do their own compiles.) The people I know using Next on live are using EQBCS, Nav, KissAssist etc without issue, and those are all very reliant on a number of common plugins and TLOs.

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
I've also been told a lot of the plugin authors of really popular MQ2 plugins are privately distributing Next compliant .DLL if you private message them and provide proof that you're paying for an active license of it (these are all the plugins on Redguides that aren't free), my understanding is for many of them making them work with Next hasn't been too much work, for some of them it will be. But they aren't sharing them willy nilly because going outside of the Redguides launcher ecosystem isn't really to their advantage since that's how the plugin authors get paid. But with Red himself and all the big names at Redguides so behind Next it'll eventually be the "standard" MQ2.

Crone

So it was made to get around mule's stuff, but what is it actually improving over MQ2? People putting in all this work for the exact same product functionally speaking?

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Sounds like they are making the macros more in line with what you would expect an actual programming language to look like. I wanna say it was using LUA, but I barely looked at much.

Old school MQ2 used..I don't even know what to call it, commands?

like this would be a variable section for a macro in MQ2:
Code:
    /declare donorTimer timer outer
    /declare divineTimer timer outer
    /declare priorityTarget string outer
    /declare epicTimer timer outer
    /declare curHealTarget string local
    /declare curPlayer string local
    /declare curSpell string local
    /declare i int outer
    /declare healCount int outer
    /declare isHealing bool outer
    /declare spamCount int outer
    /declare expCount int outer

whereas the new version looks more like...Java? I dunno I don't program fr my day job. Any time I see "Something.subsomething.finalsomething" I think Java

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
So it was made to get around mule's stuff, but what is it actually improving over MQ2? People putting in all this work for the exact same product functionally speaking?
It's actually a really big upgrade in many ways. For one the current paradigm with MQ2, using any of the "Macro Language" macros, you can only run one concurrently. Incredibly complicated stuff like KissAssist.mac can be run and do a lot in that paradigm, but it limits you in many ways. Lots of things have to be written in c++ and compiled into plugins, not because they couldn't work just as well as a macro but because the 1-macro at a time limitation means they mostly need to be a plugin. Stuff like AutoForage, React etc could likely live happily as macros if you could concurrently run multiple macros.

In the move to Next, any macro written in Lua can be ran at the same time, old style Macro language macros will only run one at a time. Over time this will likely mean most people will be able to run fewer plugins, which is good in a number of ways.

If you've ever used MQ2EQWire, which is a plugin that makes it so clients that aren't currently active in the foreground don't render the UI thread, and reduces resource usage of those clients massively, that functionality has been written entirely from scratch by the Next team as a base feature of Next (right now it's a $10/yr plugin.) Supposedly the built in feature in Next is actually even more performant than Wire.

The imgui which is the "gui" you see if you've ever used MQ2Nav, has been standardized as sort of the global GUI for Macroquest, adding user friendliness in managing plugins and other things instead of having to keep track of all the slash commands.

One of the biggest things the devs working on it have done is high quality refactoring of the base code, this is important because one reason it's onerous to customize Macroquest is the code is almost a perfect example of a code base that has been questionably managed over time and full of difficult to understand and poorly written code, and shit slapped together by random devs for 20 years. While it may not excite the non-programs, well refactored code is a boon for anyone who wants to customize any of it on their own. It also makes the whole project "more approachable" to any c++ devs who may want to help maintain and contribute to the c++ project over time, which is good because it also makes it less likely we get back to a situation where one guy by virtue of being one of the few humans willing to work on it, suddenly accumulates all the power.

FWIW, I think the Next Devs would push back on the claim they only did this to bypass Mule. I think it was honestly more of a "open source programming squabble" which I've seen in my career as a developer. The old project is dominated by Mule and he doesn't like to play well with others, and he was increasingly moving functions into closed source. From everything I've seen Dannuic/Knightly/Brainiac genuinely believe in open source. Plazmic who created MQ2 released it under the GPL because he was an open source nerd and it was very important to him that MQ2 was always something anyone could take and build their own copy if they wanted. Plazmic died years ago now (I think in the early 2010s or maybe late 2000s), and I actually think the Next devs genuinely wanted to respect his wishes. The reality is the way MQ2 has been managed is a massive violation of the GPL as is, just obviously no one has been interested in litigating over it. The biggest structural thing about Next is it will be very very close to full compliance with the GPL, there's a few technical points where it may not be (I think their distribution of MacroQuest.exe, which is the injector they use, doesn't include the source for it albeit you can use a different injector supposedly.)

I do kinda respect all of that, as a professional software developer and an evil capitalist I don't really care much about open source software as a concept, in fact I'm all for everything being closed sourced and monetized, I'm the anti-Stallman. But I can respect the nerds who genuinely care about that shit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
So now that it's established that A Atabishi is a disgraced cheater and all records were stripped from the EQ Babies along with the recent mutiny because of his lack of leadership ability, is there a top guild on Aradune now?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Dunno I actually think we actually had more people on for Time last night than we did pre Mischief launch the week before. Was faster and smoother too. Off hours seem pretty thin atm, but raids and bat phones aren't feeling any different yet. I think the mutiny played out much more in the forums than in game. Outside of Mayze who already quit mid Luclin and maybe a few others (Bowazon, maybe Burgers?), I'm not even sure who would be included on that list. From the forums, you'd assume we're dedguild status, but I think we had like 110? mains on last night.

Atabishi

Lord Nagafen Raider
TEB is running better than ever. Still overfilling raids on batphones and still splitting all content the same amount of splits we were doing before. We appreciate everyones concern, thank you. So far from what I've heard speaking with multiple guild leaders after their guilds raided on wednesday/thursday, there wasn't much of a change at all in their attendance outside of a couple guilds who had recently mass recruited seeing big drops in their recently recruited members. People kept posting that there is an absolute crap ton of TEB that had signed up for these other guilds but when I looked at the lists, there wasn't many at all that actually still play Aradune. There is a big difference between EX teb members and ACTIVE teb members lol.

Mischief/thornblade definitely didn't live up to the hype in terms of population relative to Aradune/Rizlona launch. That is understandable though because Aradune/Rizlona launched during the peak of the coronavirus and lockdowns which was definitely a massive catalyst for why the populations were higher than ever seen before. The Mischief/Thornblade server cap, as already stated by the devs is the same as Aradune/Rizlona was and Mischief stopped having queues in the first day. Aradune had queues a month and half in on a 2 box server which was pretty ridiculous.

Coka

Golden Squire
TEB is running better than ever. Still overfilling raids on batphones and still splitting all content the same amount of splits we were doing before. We appreciate everyones concern, thank you.

Literally one person mentioned it. Nobody really gives a shit about your guild, they just like to mock you.

So far from what I've heard speaking with multiple guild leaders after their guilds raided on wednesday/thursday, there wasn't much of a change at all in their attendance outside of a couple guilds who had recently mass recruited seeing big drops in their recently recruited members.

Got any stats to back up this up? Any spreadsheets and/or data to go with your story? Anything other than your word, which is worth pretty much nothing?

Only guild leader we know you've messaged is Mabbu because you're that butthurt about Zaide that you were encouraging him to complete classic ahead of FV.

unknown.png

People kept posting that there is an absolute crap ton of TEB that had signed up for these other guilds but when I looked at the lists, there wasn't many at all that actually still play Aradune. There is a big difference between EX teb members and ACTIVE teb members lol.

ddd439116a7e12625de54132e8a40026.gif

• 1Worf

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
He's making a guild list,
And checking it twice;
Gonna find out who's naughty and nice.
Atabishi is coming to town

• 3Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Twinkle twinkle Atabishi,
How he wonders what you are,
Up above plebs so high,
Just a board of losers die,
Losers losers can not play,
Atabishi knows the way.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Evernothing

He's making a guild list,
And checking it twice;
Gonna find out who's naughty and nice.
Atabishi is coming to town
He sees you with SEQ when you're sleeping
And MQ2Warps to you when you're awake
He knows if you apped to other guilds
So git good for goodness sake

Last edited:
  • 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You cant check lists for peoples names and it be a legitimate check. Quite a few people that said hey to me on Mischief did not have the same name that they had on Aradune. Some of the people on Aradune I played with even said they wouldnt play Mischief, and they ended up saying Hey to me on Mischief.

• 1Like