Everquest TLP - Aradune and Rizlona Servers (Now with real customer service)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Highly considered doing Rizlona, but I just don't think I can do 3 month unlocks with a classic starting point. 3 month unlocks alone suck ass, but with a classic start on top of it, no thanks.
I've never done TLP but I've always been surprised that Classic+Kunark isn't the default option.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
What spells does the SK use to generate aggro? I keep hearing they removed the aggro on Disease Cloud, is that at a certain point, or always?
Lowest level snare/dot. Does a billion threat. Spammable. Even if the mob resists snares it still does full threat. You can literally tank with Clinging Darkness as an SK until PoP and probably even after.

Warriors were shit in Classic, but Kunark they're mandatory for everything. It's weird. Our guild in classic had like 7-9 warriors in raids and the SKs tanked everything so they did dick all except eat DTs. Now if a warrior gets the right insta-clicky and spams it while double-yakking, they'll be fine. But most warriors are too ignorant/lazy to do such.

Druids are great but if you heal the MT and keep dots on a raid boss, you're dead. It still happens now if we have any druids max their APM in LDoN+. Shaman as well if you're full DOTing, but for the first few expansions you'll want them spot healing tanks anyways. I got to tank Cazic Thule for about 20-30 seconds in Time last week because I decided to put my BA IV item and use all 3 dots while rabid bear and spirit calling him. The SK tank couldn't even get threat back. DOTs are omega aggro which is part of the reason SKs are the strongest of the tanks aggro-wise.

• 2Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've never done TLP but I've always been surprised that Classic+Kunark isn't the default option.
I really wish they would do a kunark start. I always miss out on exping in those zones since I get all my characters to 50 in classic. And then never make a new alt again lol.

• 2Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Kunark opens up a shitload more leveling options and spreads out the population a ton. Classic start is just such a fucking snoozefest. It always seems like a 3 month, arbitrary formality for no reason.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I still say they need to look at getting people to stick it out in to the later expansions. Something like start in Kunark, two month unlocks, PoP/LDoN/Ykesha launch simultaneously, that sort of thing. I liked Selo a lot but at one month per expansion it felt like I was perpetually going to have to learn a completely knew thing every couple of weeks. It was like always being lost and always needing to hold someone's hand.

• 2Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I still say they need to look at getting people to stick it out in to the later expansions. Something like start in Kunark, two month unlocks, PoP/LDoN/Ykesha launch simultaneously, that sort of thing. I liked Selo a lot but at one month per expansion it felt like I was perpetually going to have to learn a completely knew thing every couple of weeks. It was like always being lost and always needing to hold someone's hand.

Yeah, Selo's exp with 2 month unlocks and Kunark start would've been my ideal server. And I agree that PoP/LDoN/Ykesha need to be connected.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Does/did Mangler have three months of PoP and then three months of LDoN?
Three months of PoP and thankfully only two months of LDoN. HONESTLY unlocking LDoN with PoP would be a HUUUUUUUUUGE quality of life. It'd probably keep the population booming into GoD, too. The problem is there's potentially a lot of raiding there. You've got the PoP grind to Time, then you've got Time + EPs +whatever LDoN Dungeons you want. That's a fuck ton of raiding on the weekly.

LDoN's are fucking great for casuals though. They give like 70% of an AA for a normal, you can do them with basically any group comp, the augs are pretty nice boosts, and the loot from hards is like T3 PoP equivalent. Be really great to be able to do LDoNs rather than just sitting in C1 or C2 in PoFire for 3 months. Especially when that camp just becomes the "chanter pet does it all and you heal it!" meta that EQ has become. Gets a bit tedious after about 30 hours.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Five months of PoP is just so much fucking PoP. People are stuffed to the gills with loot after five or six weeks worth of clears. Two months of adding LDoN raids on top of the shit you were already doing in PoP sounds like torture.

I'd like some feedback on what playing on these TLP servers is like, these days. I haven't played EQLive since the GoD era. I've recently started a character on P99, and either I'm getting old and high on nostalgia, or this game is actually still somewhat fun to play 20 years later, in all it's broken, janky glory. P99, while fun, will be limited to Velious, and I wouldn't mind to relive some of the later expansions. More to the point, the raid scene seems to be toxic cesspool, so maybe Aradune is a better option.

- If I play a cleric again, will grouping be as effortless as it was? Or is everyone running CLR/ENC boxes?
- How active is a TLP in Euro timezones?
- In general, anything I should know about how these servers usually play out?

Perhaps it is a time to revisit what even alleged single box raiding looks like in the 21st century. I give you, ladies and gentlemen, the killing of Venril Sathir. Don't blink or you will miss it:

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
My thought of maybe doing an enc/dru duo is looking good on here. They cover each other's (few) weaknesses really well.
I was originally going to do enc/dru with the idea that dru provides ports, DD and power level capability. I switched to cleric with the idea that they'll be more efficient healers, have CH which helps with charmed mobs with huge HP pools and shite mitigation and I won't use their druid's DDs anyway.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Perhaps it is a time to revisit what even alleged single box raiding looks like in the 21st century. I give you, ladies and gentlemen, the killing of Venril Sathir. Don't blink or you will miss it:
Yeah if Aradune turns out to be a bot-infested shit hole I'll really regret deciding to play on Aradune, which includes buying an laptop just to truebox.

I'm optimistic though, on the basis that if that a single GM just randomly porting around testing people is really enough to put a huge dent on the profitability of bots.

• 1Solidarity

Zaide

TLP Idealist

This isn't caused by boxing at all, it's a time when Harm Touch did 2,500 damage and VS had 16khp. Harm Touch was fixed like 8 years ago though, so no big deal now.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My thought of maybe doing an enc/dru duo is looking good on here. They cover each other's (few) weaknesses really well.
I'd really warn you of over estimating the druid's ability to keep a charm pet healed and sustaining any sort of a respectable kill-rate. You are also kind of pigeon-holing yourself to outdoor zones or ones where you have the ability to run around in to get use of Snare on breaks. It is just going to be very hard to make it work in a cramped dungeon zone like L Guk or Sol B.

You go OOM healing your Charm pet back to full, then while you are medding to have enough mana for another pull, the charm will break. You will then spend your precious mana you just medded up for to keep the enchanter alive, then you will be OOM again. Then finally, when the stars align and you have a full charm duration that allowed you to sit there and get 50% of your mana back, the fuckin charm will break again and you will have to burn through all your mana saving the Enchanter.

EQ has a funny way of slapping you into submission. "What are the chances of the puller accidentally bring 3 mobs, my charm breaking, and then fizzling x3 my highest mana heal all at the same time?" The chances are 100% in EQ math & logics.

Ench + Cleric works better than any other duo combo in the game and it ain't even close.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Oh lord i downloaded and logged into a new account for first time in like 10 years (?). For some stupid reason considering to play on TL if my wife wants to try to play. I showed her EQ video 6 months ago same time we were considering going back to FFXIV and she said "yuck, why would anyone play that haha".

Few quick questions

1) Probably will duo alot with her and maybe i'll 2 box someone i can play independently when she isn't around since she works alot of night shifts. She plays healers the limited time we've did MMO's so probably will want her on a healer. Been long enough i don't remember shit so any duo + box combo's would be appreciated.

Thoughts so far are
1) SK for my main to split pull and ok damage (?) and snare, still viable in raids (?)
2) Shaman for her, with my lifetaps will shaman healing + slows should be ok for trio content when we dont have a group ?
3) Wiz for ports and easy 2 box damage? I mained a wiz for most my EQ career and enjoy them but if i recall they weren't great because of mana regen issues until later in the expansions.

Alternatively, could go cleric for her and go with a slower for me? What are the options on that just enc? Clarity would be nice i guess?

I remember using MQ or something for basic mob tracking is that a no-no now/risk of getting suspended?

Also if i'm running to monitors can i run two instances of EQ just so i can tab between the two when boxing (no automated key strokes) or did i literally need to have fucking two computers side by side and run 2 keyboards/mice. fucking 2020 jfc.....

Appreciate any wisdom you vets can provide :) Seriously why the fuck am i considering going back hah, outside of MB teams in kunarak POP and Omen were by far the best 2 expansions so hopefully will make it for the long haul, think i played up to TSS (?). With no new MMO's maybe would be good to play a year or two and get caught up with live.

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'd really warn you of over estimating the druid's ability to keep a charm pet healed and sustaining any sort of a respectable kill-rate. You are also kind of pigeon-holing yourself to outdoor zones or ones where you have the ability to run around in to get use of Snare on breaks. It is just going to be very hard to make it work in a cramped dungeon zone like L Guk or Sol B.

You go OOM healing your Charm pet back to full, then while you are medding to have enough mana for another pull, the charm will break. You will then spend your precious mana you just medded up for to keep the enchanter alive, then you will be OOM again. Then finally, when the stars align and you have a full charm duration that allowed you to sit there and get 50% of your mana back, the fuckin charm will break again and you will have to burn through all your mana saving the Enchanter.

EQ has a funny way of slapping you into submission. "What are the chances of the puller accidentally bring 3 mobs, my charm breaking, and then fizzling x3 my highest mana heal all at the same time?" The chances are 100% in EQ math & logics.

Ench + Cleric works better than any other duo combo in the game and it ain't even close.

This is true. Can it be done? Yes. But you dont expect to be able to kill as efficient or hold some camps like enc/clr. You can do some sneaky things like keeping your charm pet snared, log out on enc (druid doesnt have to camp if hes an appropriate range, mobs shouldnt path home w/ snare), and when charm breaks from enc logging out, and the mob having no agor, it will very quickly regen to full. Then just log back in rq and recharm. Or just keep breaking charm and killing the pet once its low and just find a new pet. But yeah enc/clr is way better unless youre super set on having a druid

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Oh lord i downloaded and logged into a new account for first time in like 10 years (?). For some stupid reason considering to play on TL if my wife wants to try to play. I showed her EQ video 6 months ago same time we were considering going back to FFXIV and she said "yuck, why would anyone play that haha".

Few quick questions

1) Probably will duo alot with her and maybe i'll 2 box someone i can play independently when she isn't around since she works alot of night shifts. She plays healers the limited time we've did MMO's so probably will want her on a healer. Been long enough i don't remember shit so any duo + box combo's would be appreciated.

Thoughts so far are
1) SK for my main to split pull and ok damage (?) and snare, still viable in raids (?)
2) Shaman for her, with my lifetaps will shaman healing + slows should be ok for trio content when we dont have a group ?
3) Wiz for ports and easy 2 box damage? I mained a wiz for most my EQ career and enjoy them but if i recall they weren't great because of mana regen issues until later in the expansions.

Alternatively, could go cleric for her and go with a slower for me? What are the options on that just enc? Clarity would be nice i guess?

I remember using MQ or something for basic mob tracking is that a no-no now/risk of getting suspended?

Also if i'm running to monitors can i run two instances of EQ just so i can tab between the two when boxing (no automated key strokes) or did i literally need to have fucking two computers side by side and run 2 keyboards/mice. fucking 2020 jfc.....

Appreciate any wisdom you vets can provide :) Seriously why the fuck am i considering going back hah, outside of MB teams in kunarak POP and Omen were by far the best 2 expansions so hopefully will make it for the long haul, think i played up to TSS (?). With no new MMO's maybe would be good to play a year or two and get caught up with live.
This is my first TLP but from what people say sk/shm is one of the top duos for classic EQ next to mnk/sha and enc/cle.

Yes you need 2 physical computers, fucking 2020.