Everquest TLP - Aradune and Rizlona Servers (Now with real customer service)

Philonius

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Fixing that was a humongous step for EQ the game, as was fixing whatever was capping mob HP at 32k.

32,768 is the biggest number you can store in a signed 16-bit integer. Not sure what made them go for 16 bits there, that seems pretty stingy even for 1999.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
From what I understand, they never thought the game would last past the point of needing more than that.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
The bigger miss by them was stats not scaling beyond the stat caps. Eq to this day is still a bit messy with base stats vs heroics and focus effects.

all told though they made a game that’s lasted 22 years and the core is still intact. They didn’t have nearly as many good examples to learn from like blizzard did either

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
32,768 is the biggest number you can store in a signed 16-bit integer. Not sure what made them go for 16 bits there, that seems pretty stingy even for 1999.

On the flipside, they could have also planned ahead and started low. Bring down player DPS at level 50 by like...80%, then have raid bosses like Vox and Nagafen capping out at 6000 HP, and slowly increased their stats over time. By starting right at the cap they weren't leaving much room for expansion, unless they figured they'd fix the integer issue later anyway. Edit: Looks like comments above basically said this same thing. Not a lot of long-term planning was goin' on.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The bigger miss by them was stats not scaling beyond the stat caps. Eq to this day is still a bit messy with base stats vs heroics and focus effects.

all told though they made a game that’s lasted 22 years and the core is still intact. They didn’t have nearly as many good examples to learn from like blizzard did either

Yep. We still have AAs to increase your base stats (Innate Eminence) even though everyone's base stats have been capped since like 20 expansions ago. If those AAs increased your stat cap, or better yet added Heroic stats past a certain level, they'd be GREAT. But nope, they just add to a stat that is already capped.

At least Innate Spell Resistance adds to your Corruption Resist. The other spell resistance stats have been capped for ages and it does nothing for them, but 2 Corrupt / rank is at least SOMETHING. Innate Eminence is just straight-up nothing.

• 1Like

Foaming

Lord Nagafen Raider
Man if Innate Eminence added Heroic stats they would be one of the best early AA purchases for nearly all classes. That's such a small but MASSIVE change I feel like we should champion it.

• 1Like

fjurn

Molten Core Raider
Even WoW has had to do stat squishes and such. Honestly I think the heroic stat approach is better / easier to understand over the long run. EQ isn't perfect, but in terms of the possibility frontier for these types of games, I think EQ navigated it extremely well. There aren't too many things that I wish were 100% overhauled / done different through the ages. Main thing that comes to mind are the Luclin models...

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Even WoW has had to do stat squishes and such. Honestly I think the heroic stat approach is better / easier to understand over the long run. EQ isn't perfect, but in terms of the possibility frontier for these types of games, I think EQ navigated it extremely well. There aren't too many things that I wish were 100% overhauled / done different through the ages. Main thing that comes to mind are the Luclin models...
Eq hasnt had Stat inflation nearly,as bad as wow, I think because eq manages to keep content relevant lingers and doesn't do constant gear resets.

And ya new models would be nice, I wish we had higher poly versions of the old models.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I think a lot of those things in everquest's case were driven more by bandwidth concerns than hardware or software issues.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
New models are on my list of things to do. A list that grows and never shrinks :(
On the list of stuff to do if I owned dark paw would be

1. Nuke plane of knowledge, bazaar and guild,lobby because they are boring sterile hubs
2. Rerevamp freeport as a hub zone with architecture more similar to the original Freeport and like a big new spire and all the knowledge books in the wizard guild
3. Add offshoot tunnels to the commons tunnel and put bazaar in there.
4. Revamp the luclin models to look more like modern versions of the original models, except maybe for troll and ogre who,were just too,fat.

• 3Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

no_friendo

<Banned>
Can we get a full raid of beastlords at 65 when PoP releases ? My fondest memories of EQ were the 3 guild beastlord mains grouping up with an enchanter and cleric. We were unstoppable

• 1Seriously?
  • 1GreNeg
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Some of the Luclin models wouldn't be so bad except that the animations are fucking awful. Old models for life.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
The anims and resting positions are pretty bad, I love wood elf classic models for example but god the luclin ojes are so bad and don't really fit the style of kelethin at all.

They have some great elf models since then ironically, mayongs model is good, the upper half of the new drachnid look good, so they potentially have some wire frames and animations already done that would be at least a start, no idea how hard that stuff is in eq though. Editting wire frames for Skyrim mods is the extent of my experience but that engine is a space ship compared to eq.