Evil Dead Rise (2023)

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I live with a huge Evil Dead fan and he saw it a few weeks ago as part of a PR screening and his assessment was that it was 'good, not amazing, but good'. This may not sound like a ringing endorsement but he is not at all shy about ranting on the subject of bad horror flicks and so a modest acceptance is a very high ranking.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
That looks incredibly generic.

It's an Evil Dead movie, kind of in both a good and bad way. I thought the movie was entertaining enough, but at the end of the day, it really doesn't do much to justify its existence as anything more than just another horror movie. It is very formulaic, find book, book open, demons, chaos, end sequence.

They could have done a lot more with this, but didn't and played it safe. I'm not sure if this is a reboot or if the book is another copy of the Book of the Dead.

Now, all that negativity out of the way, the pros are the movie is a nice length (just over 90 minutes) and does have the gore and story beats you would expect from an Evil Dead movie.

I know I listed the predictability in pros and cons, but the movie both gave me what I want, but when it was over, I really think they could have done more with "The Book of the Dead is in LA now", but maybe that will be used for "Evil Dead Rises-er".

• 1Like

Juvarisx

Florida
It's an Evil Dead movie, kind of in both a good and bad way. I thought the movie was entertaining enough, but at the end of the day, it really doesn't do much to justify its existence as anything more than just another horror movie. It is very formulaic, find book, book open, demons, chaos, end sequence.

They could have done a lot more with this, but didn't and played it safe. I'm not sure if this is a reboot or if the book is another copy of the Book of the Dead.

Now, all that negativity out of the way, the pros are the movie is a nice length (just over 90 minutes) and does have the gore and story beats you would expect from an Evil Dead movie.

I know I listed the predictability in pros and cons, but the movie both gave me what I want, but when it was over, I really think they could have done more with "The Book of the Dead is in LA now", but maybe that will be used for "Evil Dead Rises-er".

It's the problem they are going to run into no matter how good the film is. Bruce made the series, if you are not including him and Sam Raimi to some degree then its always going to feel like its not quite there. If they wanted more Evil Dead stuff then they should have just pumped more money into Ash vs Evil Dead to keep it going, but its clear they want to make a pretty okay horror movie with the Evil Dead name and gore level. It feels like its missing their target audience on purpose IDK.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Juvarisx

Florida
Movie just ended, was a pretty good horror movie with Evil Dead branding and gore that would make any horror movie blush. And yea if there is a R Rated horror movie in a theater my wife is dragging me to it Day 1.

If you like good short horror flicks this will make you happy when you watch it on Peacock or Paramount Plus or whatever in a month and its always fun when a horror movies lets even the small innocent children get yeeted.

I will give major kudos to Alyssa Sutherland who played Ellie. If you ever want to see an actress "get" the source material watch her performance. That is bar none the BEST Deadite performance I have ever seen, and its not really close. Creepy, goofy, disgusting, hilarious, perfect movement and sinister. She made the movie and all I desperately wanted was Ash to bust in with a double barrel, slip on children's blood and listen to her perfect laugh as he bangs his head off a table.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 5 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I thought it was decent.

The movie autism in me saw some bad editing cuts that felt wrong. And I didn't think the main character was very good. There were a couple scenes where she was just blankly staring at the terrible things her sister was doing. Might be the director's fault.

But the evil is quite nice. The possessed actress was 10/10. That smile.

2013 version was better imo

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
The gore in this was top notch. I like how they still had the Evil Dead comedic quips in it but it wasn't front and center. I also liked how they got away from the played out cabin in the woods. Some of the edits/cuts were odd but maybe that was done on purpose.

• 1Like

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Brother and I went to see this last night at the movies. We both commented after words that it was good but not as about a 3 to 3.5.

It definitely was not the same not having Bruce Cambell in it, but it was good enough to stand on its own if you don't knock it for not being centered around Evil Dead's usual main character.

The gore level was on par with an Evil Dead movie. They nailed that.

The scares were not there. I didn't flinch even once in the movie.

It was worth going to use one of my 3 free movies per week at AMC and eating popcorn, but I'll be waiting until it is a discounted used copy to buy the BluRay for my movie collection.

• 1Like

Bodhy

Karen
<Banned>
Movie just ended, was a pretty good horror movie with Evil Dead branding and gore that would make any horror movie blush. And yea if there is a R Rated horror movie in a theater my wife is dragging me to it Day 1.

If you like good short horror flicks this will make you happy when you watch it on Peacock or Paramount Plus or whatever in a month and its always fun when a horror movies lets even the small innocent children get yeeted.

I will give major kudos to Alyssa Sutherland who played Ellie. If you ever want to see an actress "get" the source material watch her performance. That is bar none the BEST Deadite performance I have ever seen, and its not really close. Creepy, goofy, disgusting, hilarious, perfect movement and sinister. She made the movie and all I desperately wanted was Ash to bust in with a double barrel, slip on children's blood and listen to her perfect laugh as he bangs his head off a table.
You sir, have an amazing wife. Drags you to horror movies?

I've never known a girl who could actually sit through a horror movie. In fact, most of them categorically refuse to watch them and it could actually lead to an argument if I insisted further. Even during a violent or scary scene in a regular movie, they would put their hands over their eyes like a bitch.

But yeah, I'm not there for plot or cinematic brilliance. I'm there for Sam Raimi awesomeness.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Watched this the other night and thought it was ok. Redhead mom was fucking fantastic. Brunette sister was weird-bonering me throughout the entire movie. Something about her was trying to convince me she's hot despite them trying to make her look kinda like a whore (not that she's hideous).

Talked about it just now with a coworker who loves everything horror, and he said it was ok too. However, he says, "My girlfriend insists that the son is really a girl." I'm like, huh, I didn't really notice but I think I would have heard about it if it were true? Looked it up, yep, the actor that plays the son,Danny, is Morgan, used to be Morgana. So they snuck a tranny in on us! However, I'll be honest, if it isn't a focal point of the movie or the marketing, and has no bearing whatsoever on anything, I guess I can't really get too pissy. Obviously I'd prefer that they cast an actual boy, but at least I didn't get it thrown in my face the entire movie.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Watched this the other night and thought it was ok. Redhead mom was fucking fantastic. Brunette sister was weird-bonering me throughout the entire movie. Something about her was trying to convince me she's hot despite them trying to make her look kinda like a whore (not that she's hideous).

Talked about it just now with a coworker who loves everything horror, and he said it was ok too. However, he says, "My girlfriend insists that the son is really a girl." I'm like, huh, I didn't really notice but I think I would have heard about it if it were true? Looked it up, yep, the actor that plays the son,Danny, is Morgan, used to be Morgana. So they snuck a tranny in on us! However, I'll be honest, if it isn't a focal point of the movie or the marketing, and has no bearing whatsoever on anything, I guess I can't really get too pissy. Obviously I'd prefer that they cast an actual boy, but at least I didn't get it thrown in my face the entire movie.
I told my wife looks like they are trying to make the son a girl and the middle sister a dude. Now it makes sense.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I liked it for what Mike and Jay liked it for. Watching it on a bad ass screen really made the bloody visuals pop.
Definitely love when “main characters” that typically live die off. That always gets a +1 from me. There was no stupid message. Just Evil being evil. 7/10

• 2Like

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Just dropped on Max. Echoing what everyone else said the mom plays an awesome deadite. Movie gave me some serious Silent Hill 4 vibes.

IMG_1810.jpeg

I like the newer movies but I wish they were a little more lighthearted like the rest of the canon.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard

Oldbased

> Than U
Meh. It was better than I was expecting and TBH if we didn't live in such a cram down your throat woke time, the female leads wouldn't have even been noticed.
Both the leads played sisters. One was preggo and the other crazy witch bitch had 3 kids. No trans lesbians or any of that shit, just 2 sisters who like dick.
I'll take that in 2023.

• 1Like

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Watched this last night and I do not have much to add that hasn't already been said. Lead crazy mom was great and played the part extremely well.

This movie was extremely brutal and gory for 2023. Maybe I have been out of the scene, but I sure didn't expect some of the visuals (eating glass / knife through arm) especially when the victims are young. When good daughter got possessed and went south it really solidified all bets are off.

"Come get some" was kind of a wasted call back. She said it and then the baddie, indeed, came and got some.