Fall 2017 Anime Thread

Malkav

French Madman
Got caught up on Children of the Whale today. Definitely need to be in a specific mood to watch this one. It rapes all the feels holes. Looks like it is starting a new arc now, so this might be around another season or two.

Yeah, kinda dropped it for the moment around episode 7. I'll catch up one day when I get in the mood, the show is kinda heavy in that way.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Not any heavier than that episode of FMA where you find out the scientist turned his wife and kid into those dog monstrosities with forbidden alchemy. And that was his own family.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
More like Children of the Whaaaaaaaah...since every episode is about half the cast crying their eyes out most of the time.

• 1Like

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
More like Children of the Whaaaaaaaah...since every episode is about half the cast crying their eyes out most of the time.

Yeah I dropped it a few weeks ago, I couldn't take the story or the dumb enemy soldiers who just stand there and do nothing. Or that pink haired annoying shit kid.

• 1Like

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
The last couple of COTW episodes haven't been too bad but it is a bit uhm how to put it, fruity and very hippie-peace,-lovin' man. They are delving into the world back story which is pretty cool.

Magical Circle Guru Guru finished up today. Not the best ending but was completely surprised by how great the show was. I recommend giving it a chance despite the kiddie look, it will surprise you in the same way that Made in the Abyss did although it is a comedy/gag anime.

LgxPklo.png

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Soma was really good today. And it's about time the truth about his father finally come out.

I was happy. That felt like a season finale, though. Is it over now, or does the season continue?

• 1Like

Malkav

French Madman
Soma was really good today. And it's about time the truth about his father finally come out.

I was happy. That felt like a season finale, though. Is it over now, or does the season continue?

Looks like it's over for now. Kinda stupid to stop here. Hope next season is 24 episodes or they'll just never finish this story arc.

I did love Soma dropping this bomb though haha.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Didn't they say this season was going to be 24 episodes before it even began?

I thought that was the case, but this definitely felt like the finale.

• 1Like

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
I'm pretty sure that was the case originally, but now it does just say 12.

Its listed for Spring though, so its not too far away.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Looks like it's over for now. Kinda stupid to stop here. Hope next season is 24 episodes or they'll just never finish this story arc.

I did love Soma dropping this bomb though haha.
where does it stop?

• 1Like

Malkav

French Madman
where does it stop?
Manga spoiler
Just after his unofficial match with Tsukasa Eishi (the 1st Seat), and Azami comes to the dorm to be his usual evil self, saying he is doing this shit for Joichirou and Soma just drops that Joichirou is his father in front of Azami and Erina.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
That manga spoiler is exactly what happened in the anime. However...
Azami went to the dorm just to meet Soma, after seeing how unique all the new 1st years are compared to every previous class. Someone said it was a direct result of how Soma acts at all times, so he was curious.

• 1Like

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah it was sort of swapped in the anime, the reveal happened right before his match with Tsukasa in the manga I think, but to be honest they made it fit pretty good with the timing in this last episode.

And it was after this reveal with Soma that Azami did the whole restructuring of the Elite 10 or whatever and made naked-guy from Soma's dorm step down.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Ok, update on my Light Novel reading. The DanMachi (Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?) light novels are great.
Book 7 changes things a lot more. It's now about the two goddesses of beauty. Freya (the god that gave Bell the grimoire to learn magic, but also caused the Minotaur to be trained, just so Bell could fight it) against Ishtar. She's the 2nd goddess of beauty. She's an Amazon, and she "owns" the red light district of their town. Every prostitute in the city are part of her familia. She finds out that Freya likes Bell, so that puts her sight on him as well, because she wants to crush Freya. There's a lot more to it than that, but this is another decent book. The author is good at writing tense moments. Granted, I don't like book 7 nearly as much as book 6, but I still like the direction the show is taking. After this is over, I wonder what direction book 8 will take.
God damn, book 7 got awesome towards the end. The Hestia familia is now 6 dungeon explorers and the goddess herself. They keep growing. They had Freya actually kill off Ishtar. When a god/goddess suffers mortal damage in this world, they release a power which prevents their death. That power is also forbidden from being used in the "real world", and they are sent back to the world of gods, never to return. The world of gods gets boring, which is why the gods come to Earth to live among the adventurers. They aren't able to really do anything, but they love gossip and being alive / having a familia is a great source of entertainment.
So anyway, Ishtar's power activating to save her life sends her back to the god world, but also disbands her familia. Everyone that was a member is now a free agent. Hestia takes on one of these people, who assumes the role as a supporter for their dungeon party.

On to book 8. I'm now 1/4 of the way through this one, and it's starting off different. This book started off feeling like the 4th issue, which contained mini stories, but that doesn't seem to be the case the more I've read. At least not the way they're written. The 4th book jumps around in the time line. Book 8 is telling smaller stories that all exist during right now. Bell still loves Aiz Wallenstein of Loki family, but suddenly the leader of that family, a prum named Finn, would like to marry Lilly. That's the girl who is Bell's supporter.
tumblr_oixyvkGnrV1qekr89o3_500.gif

And he will leave the Loki family and join the Hestia family to do so. He's also level 6, so the same as Aiz. He's considered one of the strongest 5-6 characters in the world of DanMachi. I'm really enjoying these books. I'm sure most of you could give a shit, but the anime was so damn good, that it sucked me in. And now I'm enjoying the complete story.

Anyway.... Yeah, I have a lot to keep reading. Book 10 was released yesterday on Amazon. And book 11 comes out the end of April. These are so fucking good. Must keep reading! Once I catch up here, I'll get back into Sword Art Online. Really glad I started reading these light novels.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Malkav

French Madman
Uh, maybe mind not spoiling the LN in the off chance the adaptation gets there one day?

• 1Like