Fall from Heaven II (Civ IV full mod)

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Seen this recommended a number of times in the past and been playing it for the first time the last few days. Only scratching the surface at the moment but already seeing why it is so highly and so often praised. It just blows away anything Sid Meier has done with the series in the last 20 years. And each of the 21 champions makes major differences to the gameplay.

Links :

d/l :[MOD] Fall from Heaven II - Civilization Fanatics' Forums

install instructions :How to Install FfH2 - Civilization Fanatics' Forums

ffh2 manual :Civilization Fanatics' Forums - Downloads Database - FfH 2 Manual

civ fanatics ffh2 forum :Civ4 - Fall from Heaven - Civilization Fanatics' Forums

strategy and tips forum (under above) :Fall from Heaven Strategy Tips - Civilization Fanatics' Forums

wiki :Fall from Heaven Wiki

optional more naval ai mod :About this Mod - Civilization Fanatics' Forums

more naval ai forumMore Naval AI Modmod - Civilization Fanatics' Forums

main mnai thread :[MOD] More Naval AI - Civilization Fanatics' Forums

To give an idea how how deep this mod is not only does it have it's own forum on the Civ Fanatics site but the manual alone runs to well over 200 pages. The following introduction to the manual gives a feel of what the game is about and how rich it is :

Although the mod isn't a direct translation of any of the following, inspiration comes from: Celtic and Norse mythology,
Judeo-Christian mysticism
and the works of Edgar Allan Poe and H.P. Lovecraft.

Kael's Notes: The goal of this mod is to provide a turn based strategy game with a focus on replayability. I am a huge fan of the Civilization series but after
playing a dozen or so games they began to feel the same. That's actually a pretty amazing feat, what other game can you beat a dozen times before it starts to
feel the same?

We pursued our replayability goal by making a few key decisions:

1. Each civilization should be fundamentally different than any other. Much more than just a different Unique Unit and Unique Building we want the
player to have to adapt to different strategies and play styles to play each civ. We understood that not all players would like all civs, but each would
find some that appealed to their play style and players in for a new experience could try something that played differently than they were used to.
2. A player's state religion should have a dramatic effect on his civilization. As such there are really 7 versions of each civilization, that civilization
with each religion.
3. A general dislike for patterns. Although easy to design and balance patterns are generally uncreative. Instead we craft each option individually and
try to balance overall rather than on the specific option being created.
Overall this means that FfH has a higher learning curve than most games, all of these options come at a cost. But once learned our hope is that there is a
game deep enough for players to enjoy for months or years.

Anyone else played any of this and have any feedback or suggest any styles of play ? Oh and I love the mini game card thing that you can play in game for either fun or for +/- faction.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm a Lanun fan - LOVE them. They are, I feel, good for newer players because with their pirate ports and extra food on water, give a bit of an early game advantage. Which is not to say they are OP, frankly some units/world spells/buildings may give that claim to others. The magic system in a few instances can really ruin balance, and for that reason we disallow a handful of spells in our LAN games, but otherwise it's a very robust and challenging game.

Other than highly recommending the game, not much to add. We did discuss this on the old forum so I know there are more players here. I've been playing about 7(?) years or so, so if you have an questions I may be able to help.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
It's been awhile since I played it (2 years or so) but I might fire it up here now that you've reminded me. This is easily the best Civ game I've played.

The only playstyles I can remember clearly are with the dwarves and their gold hoarding religion, and the Sheim (something like that...the black/purple evil religion) with the Cthulu religion. For the dwarf civ/religion you want a ton of cities and you should eventually be able to wreck everyone else on the board with your economy alone. For the evil guys you zerg shit with zombies and try to use your religion to spread your culture to soften other civs up. They do get a black dragon as their ultimate unit, but that comes so late that the game should already be almost done by then.

Edit: I'm sure this shit has changed a lot since I last played, but both playstyles/strats were good for patch 'I'.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Civ V have anything like this?
I played with V and mods for a few days before installing this. V has mods including on the Steam Workshop but they are not in the same league as FFH2.

There's so much in it it's constantly like the first time you played Civ I and you realized things like workers could improve tiles and the different forms of Government.

As a small taste these are the 21 civilizations. Each one plays very differently and they have multiple leaders who each add different abilities etc :Civilizations - Fall from Heaven Wiki

Can't recommend this strongly enough. Note that it needs Civ IV Brave New World which is on sale on Steam for today only for a few bucks.

Flank_sl

shitlord
The AI in FFH2 is terrible, no matter which modmod you use. It's fun until you learn to play it, and then it becomes to easy, or if you use the MNAI it just warrior rushes you with its massive bonuses and if you want to beat it then it is an early game slugfest that seems to never end.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Which I like. I like playing a game in which I'm either at war all the time, or it's always a very very real risk. You might be super awesome, but I'm not, and I want that constant danger, or why else play? Play SimCity instead. I do disagree though that the AI is horrible with MNAI - it's certainly better than many other games. The only thing it really lacks at is invasion by sea - it's not terribly good at that (and that's why I almost always play a single continent). I mean, it can and will drop off some pretty impressive troops on your shore during war, if you let it, but it's not as coordinated as is ideal.

Oh, and I dislike that mini-card game for faction. I think it's silly, and makes no sense to me you can change the course of a game because of it. Played it a few times to try it out, and never touched it again =P

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I was a huge fan of this several years ago too. I guess I'm not super awesome at it either because if I played it without cheating (reloading whenever anything bad happened) it was extremely difficult to win. I mean, you CAN get some absolutely godlike heroes that destroy entire stacks on their own, but that's fairly unlikely if you play "one save."

The main reason I prefer a game like this is simply because I'm tired of choosing the fucking Egyptians, Russians, Americans, etc. over and over again. If ANY of the Civ games had simply changed them from historical leaders and races to fantasy ones, it would have instantly jumped up a level in interest for me. It gives me absolutely no motivation to play when I'm just going to have a Babylonian twist on the same troops, and maybe one or two special units which really aren't all that different than the normal versions when it comes right down to it.

Also, while it has been years and it is possible that the other mods haven't been kept up-to-date, I really enjoyed adding one called Fall Further to FFH2. It introduced even more crazy shit, like Giants that gained levels via aging, undead that didn't require food but instead used some other mechanism for generating new units (can't remember exactly), werewolves that if defeated might infect your units and cause them to go nuts, or make them super-powerful because now they are werewolves and regenerate, and make more werewolves, etc. So if you get a grasp on FFH2 and want to try something even more, look up Fall Further if it is still around. If it weren't for Divinity: Original Sin coming out in a day I might start one up myself.

Civ IV and V hold zero interest for me anymore, after having played FFH2.

Flank_sl

shitlord
It's difficult to win on MNAI deity. In fact I would say it is impossible 99 times out of 100 because the AI's just warrior rush you. One guy might hit you with 7 warriors by turn 30, then another guy with 12 at turn 50 etc. You can not possibly fight in the open and will struggle to hold a second city. If you do hold then the AIs that attacked you are stuck on warrior tech while a peaceful AI is close to champions. The guy who wrote MNAI says that it is not designed to be played above prince difficulty, but anyone who played a lot of civ4 will beat prince too easily.

FWIW there was a civ game with fantasy leaders: civ test of time. It was basically civ 2 with a fantasy and sci fi mode. The problem was that the multiple maps screwed with the gameplay, since civ2 did not have cultural borders and 'allies' could pop into your lands from above or below and fuck with you.