Fallen Enchantress - Legendary Heroes

Flight

Molten Core Raider
FE:LH released this last week.

A high fantasy 'Civlization' clone but deeper and improved upon in all sorts of ways.

Stardock really messed up when they released War of Magic. For me with the development of FE : LH they have righted a lot of wrongs and really turned it around.

Dev diary and background :http://forums.elementalgame.com/444571

If War of Magic was Diablo III FE:LH is Diablo II/LoD. Recommended.

It's on the torrent sites but I'd urge folks to pay for this. Stardock are the one dev house out there that absolutely deserve our support. No DRM and the best customer support/commitment to customers out there. They have given FE and FE:LH free to everyone who bought WoM.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
IGN review :http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/05/2...-heroes-review

Official forums :http://forums.elementalgame.com/forum/1006

rrr_img_27210.jpg

Azziane_sl

shitlord
This is their 3rd civ clone right? wasn't there another FE that was supposed to fix all of the problems WoM had? I assume this one is the best of the bunch?

Flight

Molten Core Raider
This is their 3rd civ clone right? wasn't there another FE that was supposed to fix all of the problems WoM had? I assume this one is the best of the bunch?
Correct on all points. WoM was DoA. They promised to give the 2 expansions they had planned for it for it free to everyone that bought it. The dev diary in the first link outlines how they basically dumped doing expansions and made Fallen Enchantress a new standalone game. Fallen Enchantress : Legendary Heroes is a standalone follow up to FE. Taken them three years since WoM released to get to here but it's now one of the best games they've put out. You have to give them kudos for giving FE and FE:LS free to everyone who bought WoM, though that was so poor it deserved recompense.

/endShill

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Got it for 50% off since I already owned Fallen Enchantress. Pretty fun little game. Still trying to figure out everything going on and what exactly the best strategy is moving forward. Unlike FE the game is actually a bit of a challenge. I far prefer this iterations version of leveling up and acquiring champions as opposed to the original. Where I never quite understood if they just threw a die and "here are your three options."

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I think they handled the clusterfuck of WoM realtaively well, not sure I ever ended up playing the free games. Can't believe that was 3 years ago, will have to give this a shot. Lately when I've wanted a fix of this style of game I've fired up Warlock:http://store.steampowered.com/app/203630/

Edit: Signed in to Stardock and it says I've been given LH for free, nice.

Tenks

I have Warlock as well and don't remember it clicking for me quite as well as this game. But, honestly, I can't remember any reason why.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Cool thanks. Can someone expand on how this is deeper and improved over Civ (and which civ you'd compare it to)?

Tenks

It is only like Civ in the fact that you establish cities, research various things and build an army or win via other conditions. Other than that is is pretty dissimilar. Think of Civ games like Warcraft II/Starcraft and LH is more like Warcraft 3. They are similar but there is a much larger focus on leveling heroes and creeping as opposed to initial warfare. The map is already established with randomly generated mobiles (well they aren't truely mobile they have a 'den' usually), quest spots and things like that. You can still capture resource nodes on the map to make certain things but there is also an equipment/shopping mechanic that is absent from Civ games.

People just say it is like Civ because it is the most similar to that. But honestly it plays more like a hybrid of HOMM + Civ.

Tenks

Never played it but since it looks like an old styled Lords of Magic then yeah, kinda. Really saying it is a hybrid between HOMM and Civ is the best example I can give.

velk

Trakanon Raider
So more like Master of Magic?
That's what they were aiming for yeah. WoM was rubbish. Fallen Enchantress made huge strides forward in playability/accessibility/non stupidity, but was still a bit rough around the edges.

I will check out the new one, cause, hey, free stuff, and on steam.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Game is a complete time vampire, just like civ/homm. In fact, the game literally is what you'd get if you smashed civ5 and homm5 together. Not saying that's a bad thing, especially if those kinds of games are your bag.

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm liking this one a lot. Didn't play WoM but bought FE so I got this 50% off on steam which is awesome. I may not have gotten it otherwise. I've definitely noticed it's a lot more challenging than FE which is great, since I thought that one was too easy. The new skill trees for the champs are pretty awesome too and a big improvement than the random clusterfuck.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Bad experience with one of the last FE games I bought. When I would get to late game, the game would start to lag really bad and/or crash. Tried all kinds of different settings (and my computer contained a lot of BIS hardware components), but the game would still get shitty in the late part. Memory Leak? Maybe, no idea.

But really, is this game any better at that? I loved the game, just not its performance.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Daid: It's basically a revamp + expansion pack to it - so the fundamentals are the same, just tweaked - including a TON of performance tweaks that I've seen noted.

Brand

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I pissed about the first two...But this one is exactly what I hoped the others would be...An enormous timesink.

Tenks

Whats your guys' normal strategy? When you get your first hero do you group them with your sovereign or do you form another army? I'm having issues with figuring out the best way of handling the early game to maximize myself in the late game.

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm still figuring that out myself. I didn't realize initially that random creatures will attack your cities now and I've had a few ransacked by giant lizard monsters because I didn't realize I needed to defend them so heavily or else make sure the area is cleaned out completely. I like it though, feels more like a post-apocolyptic type world.