Fallen Enchantress - Legendary Heroes

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I believe monsters will only sac the city if your city's borders encroach on their lair

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I believe monsters will only sac the city if your city's borders encroach on their lair
Says as much in the tutorial. Didn't have much time so thought id try and do that... and fell asleep. Looking forward to finally trying it tonight lol.

Tenks

Should also note encroaching on the monsters lair isn't auto they're attacking your city. I settle cities all the time next to big ass monsters I have no intention on killing. Not sure if they really only get aggressive on harder difficulties or what.

Caliane

interesting. I found FE mediocre at best. wasnt really going to try justifying this one. but all these positive comments.

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
I seem to have a bad habit of having cities near the lairs of big creatures apparently. Either way, it's a nice touch I don't remember being there in the previous game.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
interesting. I found FE mediocre at best. wasnt really going to try justifying this one. but all these positive comments.
As long as you're not expecting Master of Magic - and instead something more akin to Civ/Alpha Centauri (especially the latter) - it's superb.

I had MOM stuck in my head for a bit and couldn't get into it, once I got away from thinking MOM it really clicked. (Note: Talking pre-expansion - grabbing expansion this week likely, but don't have yet)

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I wouldn't let them sway you as it is essentially the exact same game; the changes that they have made basically amount to a modest mod pack and a performance patch. Heroes aren't standing around in pens all over the map anymore and that's great... but you will always get the same drunk fighting you to join your party now every single game.

It is nice that level up traits aren't randomized anymore and you can pick from the whole selection. Magic is still gimped as elemental resources are still a gamble on map gen. The tech tree is still a boring slog that forces you to get nearly everything in a particular order (no skipping around things you don't want/need). There are still far too many buildings that feel underwhelming and meh once built (you pretty much spam them for hours on end and they all blur together).

The AI in general seems to be more focused on random mobs and spamming buildings or whatever it does as you can quite often go 2-3 hours without any significant interference from them at all which leads to quite a bit of repetition and boredom. The most they will usually do is randomly offer you tribute or demand it, if they attack you it isn't very hard to knock them back on their heels if you have been fighting a lot of monsters which you will always end up doing... as there isn't much else to do anyway.

Hero injuries are still annoying and a weak penalty, they should die when killed or at least have a decent chance of it. Factions are bland and the "races" still amount to weird humans with a different tint. Anyway they did a lot of minor things to the game that don't really add up to anything fundamentally different or interesting over the original. I wish that they had however, as I really wanted to like this game.

Tenks

How does research progression compare to Civ?
Probably a bit more boring, tbh. There are three sections: Warfare, Civilization, Magic (not sure if those are the three actual names)

Warfare is what you'd expect. Better equipment available for purchase; better barracks to train units. The cool part about it, though, is it can also increase the army size you can carry. When you start off you can have, I think, 5 units in a army. Certain tiers on the Warfare branch unlock increased army stack size to, I think, 9. They also unlock greater group sizes so instead of having 3 units in a company it increases it to having 4, etc.

Magic is again what you'd expect. It mostly deals with enchantments being able to be cast on your cities, spells for your champions and unlocking magical equipment.

Civilization, again, is what you'd expect. Unlocking buildings to increase your cities' capabilities.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
I'm really enjoying this game. Had my first total conquest last night. It is very, very much improved over the original FE. I usually start by going down the civ tree to unlock research and anti-unrest abilities and then I switch to combat for all the obvious reasons. I haven't gone down the mage tree very far because I find mages way too delicate and the swarm bonuses for troops far too powerful to bother with spells to any great extent. But I expect that is more of a playstyle thing than anything. I also really like how random monsters are handled. Some of those fuckers stay put until you encroach upon their territory, which makes fighting them slightly strategic. But others just wander around and attack. It is a pretty cool mechanic that adds a lot of variability. The turn-based combat is also 99% good with 1% of "fuck, why do my idiots who can actually attack stand in the back row". That needs to be fixed. Finally, it is cool that different equipment appears on your sovereign/heroes. Good game.

P.S. I agree that heroes should be dead-is-dead. If my sovereign army gets wiped out I end the game; and if a hero dies I send them to a "graveyard" and don't use them anymore. I do wish that a perma-death scenario had been built into the game.

Caliane

I wouldn't let them sway you as it is essentially the exact same game; the changes that they have made basically amount to a modest mod pack and a performance patch. Heroes aren't standing around in pens all over the map anymore and that's great... but you will always get the same drunk fighting you to join your party now every single game.

It is nice that level up traits aren't randomized anymore and you can pick from the whole selection. Magic is still gimped as elemental resources are still a gamble on map gen. The tech tree is still a boring slog that forces you to get nearly everything in a particular order (no skipping around things you don't want/need). There are still far too many buildings that feel underwhelming and meh once built (you pretty much spam them for hours on end and they all blur together).

The AI in general seems to be more focused on random mobs and spamming buildings or whatever it does as you can quite often go 2-3 hours without any significant interference from them at all which leads to quite a bit of repetition and boredom. The most they will usually do is randomly offer you tribute or demand it, if they attack you it isn't very hard to knock them back on their heels if you have been fighting a lot of monsters which you will always end up doing... as there isn't much else to do anyway.

Hero injuries are still annoying and a weak penalty, they should die when killed or at least have a decent chance of it. Factions are bland and the "races" still amount to weird humans with a different tint. Anyway they did a lot of minor things to the game that don't really add up to anything fundamentally different or interesting over the original. I wish that they had however, as I really wanted to like this game.
That is more like what it sounded like to me looking at the previews, etc.
The new hero leveling system looked fantastic, compared to the crap it had previously. but not exactly something new compared to HoMM. everything else looked like minor tweaks. nothing to make the game go from ok, to great.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
P.S. I agree that heroes should be dead-is-dead. If my sovereign army gets wiped out I end the game; and if a hero dies I send them to a "graveyard" and don't use them anymore. I do wish that a perma-death scenario had been built into the game.
That was one of the things that made the latest X-Com so refreshing. Ironman mode was great. I wish this game had something similar.

Tenks

The penalties a champion suffers from death are fairly significant, though. Like -10% HP, -25% chance to dodge. But yeah I would prefer a dead-is-dead format as well.

velk

Trakanon Raider
That is more like what it sounded like to me looking at the previews, etc.
The new hero leveling system looked fantastic, compared to the crap it had previously. but not exactly something new compared to HoMM. everything else looked like minor tweaks. nothing to make the game go from ok, to great.
I've only put in a couple of hours, but there are other fairly significant changes than hero levelling - one of the big ones is to the fundamental way combat works - in the newer version when you attack with a troop, all other troops adjacent to your target combo into the attack. It makes positioning much more important - FE combat was mostly overpowered hero X kills 5,000 normal troops without taking damage, leaving you to wonder why there were regular troops at all. The balance has shifted heavily toward normal troops now - heroes are often much stronger than a normal troop, but they aren't a 1 man army and can easily get swarmed under if they are unprotected.

It *is* still fundamentally the same game though, if you thought FE sucked, it's unlikely you would like this one, unless the reason you thought it sucked ties directly into one of the changes. The basics, like the graphics, units and tech tree are still mostly the same.

Venijk

Trigger pulled, checking this out. Need something to tide me over until the next Path of Exile patch is out.

Tenks

I may need to ratchet up the difficulty now. Early game still seems dicey and extremely random. Late game my single army could single handedly take the entire map if I so desire and I could effectively satisfy any of the winning conditions before my opponents. I won my first game with the quest victory mainly because that assassin cat that you can tame is extraordinarily overpowered.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Bad experience with one of the last FE games I bought. When I would get to late game, the game would start to lag really bad and/or crash. Tried all kinds of different settings (and my computer contained a lot of BIS hardware components), but the game would still get shitty in the late part. Memory Leak? Maybe, no idea.

But really, is this game any better at that? I loved the game, just not its performance.
After a five hour game, I can say no, they haven't fixed that problem. They also haven't fixed the problem where after playing for a while it becomes increasingly hard to target the right square in the tactical map, and the 'path' animation stops working.

Juggernauts are still way overpowered too, if you have yithril in the game, I'd kill them first ;p

Crazily

N00b
Played all weekend..first time playing but I am a Civ 5 guru. I played on hard and made a custom hero....was getting owned fairly early on but I discovered 2 dragon storm camps near my border. I managed to capture them and got 2 storm dragons, after that....it was GG. I steam rolled the entire map with 2 dragons...no one could come close to touching them. Fun game but a bit to easy ..and the research order doesn't feel nearly as important as in Civ.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Decent gameplay ideas, but a lot of jagged edges in the implementation. Also it ran a little rough with 3 crashes over the course of a couple days. I'd give it like 2.5 or a 3/5. With some work it could be a really stable lovely game, but it's not there yet.