Falling out of love with gaming

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
not MMO related, but man am I hitting a slump right now with gaming titles. Over the past 6 months I've played everything from Bioshock Infinite, New Vegas, Metro last light, Far cry 3, dead island etc to downloading old PS RPGs for ePSXe...

can't find anything to keep my interest for more than one play through. Up next are Dishonored and Dead pool.
Azeth, weren't you on P99 with us?

Bioshock Infinite, New Vegas, Metro last light, Far cry 3, dead island Dishonored and Dead pool.
Why even buy that mainstream crap? You are part of the problem, an enabler! They are games for dude bro teenagers and they have to be simple so they sell. There might be occasional good ones (Arkham games were pretty good), but you need to be looking for lesser known games if you want to find good modern games. There are quite a lot, but they are harder to find because they release with no fanfare and aren't splashed all over IGN and everywhere with full page ads.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
I've finished 'playing' Walking Dead season 1 recently and enjoyed it a lot.

I put 'playing' in quotation marks because Walking Dead is more akin to being an interactive movie than a game. First 'game' I've finished in god knows how long.

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
The last thing that had me was Shivering isles about 2 years ago now. I had it for the longest time, but never bothered with it, then I just couldn't stop playing it. It was so good and somewhat relevant.

The industry is NOT what it was for pc gaming 10 years ago.

I do remember quite a bit of shitty games back then too. But as the popularity of the business flourished, the stakes were raised for games being successful and unfortunately, like any other industry, has to pander to what brings success.

Look at the music or movie industry for example.

There will be change, and we will get lost in that change as it happens over time. There still will be great games. But there will also be a flood of shit as well. Good lucky discerning between the two.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
not MMO related, but man am I hitting a slump right now with gaming titles. Over the past 6 months I've played everything from Bioshock Infinite, New Vegas, Metro last light, Far cry 3, dead island etc to downloading old PS RPGs for ePSXe...

can't find anything to keep my interest for more than one play through. Up next are Dishonored and Dead pool.
That expectation might be the issue. I played about half of those, but at most one playthrough and only one of the often available slightly different endings. Games like that are fun while they're novel but not build to last imo, popcorn entertainment just like modern movies.

Why even buy that mainstream crap? You are part of the problem, an enabler! They are games for dude bro teenagers and they have to be simple so they sell. There might be occasional good ones (Arkham games were pretty good), but you need to be looking for lesser known games if you want to find good modern games. There are quite a lot, but they are harder to find because they release with no fanfare and aren't splashed all over IGN and everywhere with full page ads.
I buy them if I expect a couple of days of entertainment from them, usually a single player playthrough. I found Tomb Raider worth my money, kinda split on Bioshock infinite so far though. Yea it's low-brow casual entertainment but so what, that can be fun too.

Well if you find it fun then you don't have anything to worry about, the world caters to you already and will continue to. It's the people who hate all the dumb mainstream shit that have something to worry about, because 99% of games out there fit that category.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Cup & ball bro, no one plays that anymore, it might be that secret gem of fun you're looking for

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I typically don't pay more than 20 bucks for a mainstream title, or 5-10 bucks for a small one. I could care less about waiting.

I think people expect too much for 60 bucks, and even looking back at your childhood, would you pay the same price they were back then for that game now? $50 for a NES game?

Its not so much that there aren't good games, its that there's such a variety to choose from now, and we're in our parents' shoes when it comes to purchasing them. We understand the value of the money more now that we're adults, and we're reluctant to just give it away.

I've mentioned it many times before on this board, but if you want to get good game value, hit up the bundles. You can get some Indie or even mainstream titles for next-to-nothing, and you're usually donating to some cause. Most of the games activate on Steam, and some of them even are playable on smartphones.

Some of the places I hit up:

http://humblebundle.com
http://indiegala.com
http://indieroyale.com
http://groupees.com

You get some junk bundles occasionally, but sometimes you get some really wicked ones.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Picked up Farcry 3 from the Steam sale. I have another example of why I'm falling out of love with gaming.

I had to listen to dialog, sneak around, run away, listen to more dialog, buy a gun, climb a tower, read maps, hunt boar, pick flowers.

Have yet to shoot someone in the face. What the shit man.
frown.png

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
I've finished 'playing' Walking Dead season 1 recently and enjoyed it a lot.

I put 'playing' in quotation marks because Walking Dead is more akin to being an interactive movie than a game. First 'game' I've finished in god knows how long.
I did some of that as well, great for ipad on planes !

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Fuck you hipster gamer. Sometimes mainstream games are mainstream because they are amazing.

Newest game deleted within a few hours: Far Cry 3.

Holy fuck what a piece of shit. 88 metacritic are you fucking kidding me?
I've honestly gotten to the point where it's rare I really enjoy any game sub 90 rating. They seldom capture my attention enough.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Question. What modern game has the depth of Baulder's Gate (Or BG2)? I wonder I can't see worthy titles anymore because I am just getting old or if there really aren't that many out there.
Few but some coming. I asked myself this very thing last year having already played Dragon Age Origins ( which is not bad to play once ). So I dusted offNeverwinter Nights 2and was pleasantly surprised. It was the best title I played in 2013 although clunky and it took a bit of a headlock to get things tweaked to a point where i liked them.

I have put likely 200 hours or so intoNeverwinter Nights 2over the last year having played the original campaigns and expansions and a few player made campaigns as well. Even took a shot at an online persistent world and login from time to time.

Otherwise keep your eyes on these:

Project Eternity

Torment: Tides of Numenera - inXile entertainment

I am hoping 2014 does not suck with the kickstarters that may start surfacing into betas/releases.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
So I brought the so claimed GOTCurrent GenerationThe Last of Usrecently based on the rave reviews everyone had been giving it and so I should definitely enjoy it, right?

I am halfway through the game and I struggling to find the urge to finish it even though the story is getting interesting

WTF is wrong with me? /sigh

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I keep buying the latest "hot" game and it never holds my attention for long. It's annoying.

"It'll be different this time!" I'm in an abusive relationship with my PS3.
frown.png

Antagonist_sl

shitlord
So I brought the so claimed GOTCurrent GenerationThe Last of Usrecently based on the rave reviews everyone had been giving it and so I should definitely enjoy it, right?

I am halfway through the game and I struggling to find the urge to finish it even though the story is getting interesting

WTF is wrong with me? /sigh
I've been struggling with this for years now. I bought a ps3 2 years ago and I finally opened assassins creed 2 this week... It's not that I don't have the time to play games anymore, I just don't care. I used to LOVE camping spawns for 8 hours or replaying baldurs gate every few months, shit just isn't the same anymore... Been there done that I guess.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
The fault lies with the designers. I've been replaying Shining Force 1 (and soon 2, just beat 1 again) for the umpteenth time, and loving every minute of it. Games created back when games were still games tend to hold up to replays years down the line, whereas most of this new shit I can't even make it through the first 4 hours without dropping it forever. So I wouldn't say it's a "been there done that" type of thing, because I've been there and done that PLENTY with most of the games I can pick up and replay annually for the 5th+ time. The simple fact is, most modern game designers have no fucking clue how to design a game, they simply design a revenue source--a product. Games (of all sorts) got too popular, and "big business" got to them, so this is what we get. Same shit has happened to most everything in our society over the past 10-15 years.

Hopefully it will cycle back out of this shit-hole, but I'm not entirely sure.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
most modern game designers have no fucking clue how to design a game, they simply design a revenue source--a product. Games (of all sorts) got too popular, and "big business" got to them, so this is what we get. Same shit has happened to most everything in our society over the past 10-15 years.
Yes, this is exactly it. Not nostalgia.

That's why when you refer to the 'golden days' of the late NES to early-mid SNES/Genesis era of console and PC gaming, it really, objectively was the golden days. Because the suits and bean counters weren't a major part of the industry, weren't a part influencing design decisions.

Itreally isa piece of shit industry. Woe to anyone who actually wants to get into it now.