Falling out of love with gaming

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Bought the Last of Us for my girlfriend. She played for like 30 minutes at release and hasn't touched it since. Just adding it to the pile of games i've bought her that she is never motivated to play.

I tried to play a little WoW and instead ended up reading a book. I am such an old man.
New games just aren't that good overall. There's a few good to greats like Demon's Souls, but most is objectively garbage. And it's because they're designing to make money, instead of letting the design itself make them money.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Did you miss the existence of Steam? There are plenty of neat ambitious indie games coming out these days, maybe you should take up an old man hobby like carpentry or sucking dicks.

Chesire_sl

shitlord
One of the things I noticed after 8 years of warcraft. Were a whole lot of fun games were available for cheap . Frankly was tired of button mashing to 20 add ons . MOP being unplayable on my comp was also a kick in the pants too take a break from MMO's for awhile.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Question. What modern game has the depth of Baulder's Gate (Or BG2)? I wonder I can't see worthy titles anymore because I am just getting old or if there really aren't that many out there.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Question. What modern game has the depth of Baulder's Gate (Or BG2)? I wonder I can't see worthy titles anymore because I am just getting old or if there really aren't that many out there.
I think part of it is we are all grumpier and older. I don't have the patience to game anymore, so a lot of titles I would've played through in my teens or twenties, I won't touch now.

There are still a lot of deep games out there, if you are using RPGs as your baseline. Most of the Bioware non-MMO games have a good amount of depth. The number of free MMOs with large amounts of free content is also nice. I liked The Witcher 2. Dark Souls is amazing. Legend of Grimlock is a hoot. I enjoyed Torchlight 1 and 2. Dragons Dogma is supposed to have a bunch of content, but I haven't played it yet.

I'd say there are quite a few more quality games now than 10 or 20 years ago, and they are cheaper and look amazing. The problem is the design has not really evolved that much so we're getting a bit more eye candy but not too much else, generally. It's like my first car. It was mostly a piece of garbage, but I loved it. Now, I have a new car which destroys my original in every way, but I take it for granted because I've had them for so long. When I move up from automobile to hovercraft, I'm sure the magic will come back. I think it's the same problem with games.

bayr_sl

shitlord
Dragon Age Origins + Awakening has content on par with BG (more than 1 less than 2 i'd say) but the quality of that content is significantly lower overall

spronk

FPS noob
Did BG1 & 2 really have that much depth? I don't really remember too much from the stories, they seemed all basically self contained chapters of "go kill this guy and bring back some stuff". The recent EE seems to have legal problems sadly, can't even buy it right now.

I really, really enjoyed the story, depth, and breadth of Assassin's Creed 2/B/R and the historical context and all the little touches - AC3 sucked hard though. Sleeping Dogs, the two Batman Arkham games, Fallout and Fallout New Vegas, Mass Effect (except ending) were also all very memorable. I didn't really enjoy skyrim at all (and yes all DLCs plus a shitload of mods).

An interesting thing, I just finished the main Borderlands 2 story this week and I did not like the game at all. I know its more fun co-op and single player is not the focus, but I absolutely started to detest all the little side quests to do shit stuff. I think MMOs have permanently ruined the way I view games, I no longer want to do stupid little shit for xp/shitty rewards, I just want to do the main storyline and see an interesting story. That is 100% reverse from the way I used to play games pre MMOs, where I was obsessed with 100% completion rates.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
An interesting thing, I just finished the main Borderlands 2 story this week and I did not like the game at all. I know its more fun co-op and single player is not the focus, but I absolutely started to detest all the little side quests to do shit stuff. I think MMOs have permanently ruined the way I view games, I no longer want to do stupid little shit for xp/shitty rewards, I just want to do the main storyline and see an interesting story. That is 100% reverse from the way I used to play games pre MMOs, where I was obsessed with 100% completion rates.
That's exactly where I am. If these games are costing so much money to make, can you at least give me a solid streamlined story where I don't have to do garbage quests? Garbage quests are so easy to make and such a wasteful interrupt. Give me a solid story, some cool side quests, and some ability to go off the rails if I want to and I'm set. Your game was worth $60.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think a lot of us are there. I played the main story line for BL2, and then didn't get 10% into a follow up play before I was like meh, this is boring, already seen this story.

Because I played so many MMO's, I thought maybe I would like RPGs on console, and was trying to get away from PC titles, but Final Fantasy XIII-2, Lost Odyssey, and others just didn't capture my attention.

We all are hanging onto our glory days, and trying to find it again, and it's not working...
frown.png

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Well, it's definitely not just an issue of getting older or whatever. For the second or third time, I'm digging through old games and having an absolute blast with them. Currently playing the Might and Magic series, I'm on 4-5 (World of Xeen). Man, I miss games like this. Grimrock was a decent tribute, but entirely too short and small. I watched a few old(er) movies recently too, and was surprised how much globally better the acting was than 99% of today's trash.

There seems to be an inverse relationship between tech level and creative quality. At least, as the most general main issue these mediums are facing.

Excidium

Trakanon Raider
If it wasn't for new new XCOM unknown enemy, I'd have given up on all developers if it sucked. Its good to see people make games from other genres than First Person Shooters and MMOs.

We need PC gaming to head back to its roots. I'd kill for a modern Quake that is multiplayer only that is different from previous quakes 1,2,and 3 in how they feel, but keep the over the top action and skill ceiling. Take a queue from Unreal Tournament series and add tons of game modes and maps.

Players should in-game common game channels to join games,chat with friends, or join clans. Have personal and clan rankings based on game type.

I'm older now and don't have long stretches of time to play games. I need something I can pickup for 15-30mins and just cruntch out some stress with the bonus of seeing how I'm improving as a gamer. No free-to-play BS, just sell the huge game for $15. If the game has all its bugs and gameplay worked out, people will come buy it. PC games never sell well, but when a game knocks it out of the park, it makes a fortune and spawns new games. The games that evolve the best are the ones that have a huge modding and map making community. Most great PC games were mods or total conversions of games you loved.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
I am looking forward to Shadowrun Returns getting released later this month. But mostly I have been bumming around steam sales and GoG sales, finding decent games I missed and playing through those. The entertainment value to cost ratio for old PC titles is golden. I did fund the Project Eternity kickstarter and look forward to that whenever it comes out. (it's the only kickstarter I have funded).

Most recently I have been messing around with Baldur's Gate (the first one). I played the crap out of BGII and BGToB, but I never did play BG or it's expansion (my soul burns with shame). I just bought BG the original saga for $5 on GOG recently, and dusted off my old BGII CD's. Using those I am starting a fresh game using the BGTutu mod. The mod lets you play BGI & BGII together using the Baldur's gate II engine and interface.

Prior to that my other GoG purchases include IWD complete, Silent Storm and a repurchase of Planescape: Torment. There are quite a few good indie games in older genres and IP revivals getting made, and the back catalog of PC games is massive. No matter how avid a game someone might be, chances are there are some decent titles they missed.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Newest game deleted within a few hours: Far Cry 3.

Holy fuck what a piece of shit. 88 metacritic are you fucking kidding me? I'm actually angry at the time wasted just un-raring, installing, and getting it running. The in game AA cuts framerate from 80 to 25 fps, ambient occlusion makes people have black clouds hovering over them and can't be disabled in-game, and once fixed I find out I have to watch the intro shit all over again. Grrr. Then I find out the game itself wasn't at all worth the trouble. Obnoxious Inventory Management With Fuckawful Console Shit UI: The Game. No fucking thank you. Drill down through 25 menus to see if I need dog skins or not, oh fun. Christ, Dragon Warrior NES had a better UI. Can't they come up with something better than a bunch of nested menus like its 1986 again?

How the hell did they manage to make everything about the game worse than Far Cry 2? Which had plenty of its own faults. The crafting crap.. my god. Your wallet is too full, go find some goats. To carry more than one gun, go hunt some lizards. I tried to find a mod or cheat to remove that stuff entirely, and all I found were mods to make it even worse (instead of needing 2 dogs skins for a bigger wallet, now you need 2 dog, 1 goat, 3 lizard, and 2 types of plants. Who the fuck are these nerds?)

I can only think of two other sequels to games I really liked that let me down this much: Max Payne 3 and Deus Ex 3. What is it about third sequels, wtf?

Oda_sl

shitlord
I'm having trouble finding games to love these days. The only games I've been crazy for in the past couple years is Minecraft and DayZ.

Is anyone else experiencing a gaming funk? Am I gaming depressed?
Try out Dark Souls .. that should get you back into it =). The game has a lot of what probably got you "into it" to begin with. Old school concepts (such as .. a challenging game where it actually matters if you die), with amazing combat, boss's and graphics.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
Air Warrior 3 was my first MMO, Aces High 2, AW's successor is probably where I'm playing and will finish playing MMOs.

not MMO related, but man am I hitting a slump right now with gaming titles. Over the past 6 months I've played everything from Bioshock Infinite, New Vegas, Metro last light, Far cry 3, dead island etc to downloading old PS RPGs for ePSXe...

can't find anything to keep my interest for more than one play through. Up next are Dishonored and Dead pool.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Trying the new tomb raider, about 45 minutes in and it seems fun if a little too quicktimey. It's pretty intense so far.