Falling out of love with gaming

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
non-instanced housing has everything to do with the move to 3d gaming, and the overall higher population in mmos. This is not "derp" devs are lazy and stupid.

real estate in a game is very valuable. even more so in a 3d game. Just think about it a moment, a player keep in WoW would need to be about the size of that barracks in Elynn, or about the size of Goldshire itself. Exactly how many could WoW afford? where would they place open space to allow for building of those, without directly impacting content. This isn't 2004 with miles of wide open useless spaces in games. and does anyone really want to go back to that? miles and miles of boring trash mobs?

Higher game populations make it even more of a problem. Allowing for player housing in UO with its MAX 250k players is one thing. Allowing for player housing in modern mmo with 500-1m is something else entirely.

Unless something major changes, we won't really be seeing non-instanced player housing any time soon.

That SAID, minecrafts, and a number of indie games, might just be that major change. A shift from MAX graphics to gameplay, might allow the tech to shift to worlds that can support player housing. An indie mmo could very well be on the horizon that would support it.
Seriously ? Vanguard had real player housing make oceans and islands and you are done. swg had great housing also ... It's been done and done well yet abandoned.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Qwerty you are in the top 5 of worst posters on here, so you only validate my point more.

Merquise_sl

shitlord
My question is this, is it us that changing? Or is the video game industry starting sucking hardcore? I just finished reading Ready Player One, why don't we have full virtual reality yet damn it!

Qwerty you are in the top 5 of worst posters on here, so you only validate my point more.
Nope, you, still you. Consoles are for likkle kiddies, you are an embarrassment.

My question is this, is it us that changing? Or is the video game industry starting sucking hardcore? I just finished reading Ready Player One, why don't we have full virtual reality yet damn it!
It's both. Getting older makes you harder to please with this stuff, and being older just doesn't mix well with gaming. Games are mostly for kids, just look at them, the voice overs are fucking horrible like a kids cartoon, the stories are all cliched and trite and silly, the characters all have 10 foot swords or are dude bro soldiers etc.. Gaming is for kids. So if you are still trying to be a gamer in your late 20's or beyond, then you either never matured mentally and will be ok, or you are going to have to settle for finding that 1 grown up game out of the other 500,000 shitty ones, cawadooty, need 4 spd, assassins creed 49, World of MMO: Legend of Heroes of Loot and Swords and Sorcery and Valor and Age of Dragons and Derpy doopy fucking doo.

The quicker you come to terms with it the better. You are grown up, you don't still enjoy things you did as a kid, you don't still play with toy cars and lego, so you can't expect to still play the same kinds of video games either. But you can weed out the occasional gem that will still appeal to you. But that will be very hard to do. It's also worth coming to terms with the fact that the kinds of games that will appeal to 'grown ups', are also likely to not appeal to Timmy dude bro 13 year old, so they are going to be niche, and they are going to be lower budget, and they are likely going to be 'indie'. So it's time to start looking up games like Prison Architect, Starsector, Kerbal Space Program, Project Eternity, etc.

But also, not only are we getting older and harder to entertain, but the games industry has been in a slump recently, and it was well documented. In a nutshell, the issue is that budgets got so huge, that the big mainstream games now cost insane amounts like $100 million etc.. and that requires private funding, and nobody risks that kind of money on some weird and wonderful creative new idea. They want to 'risk' it on some shitty generic FPS or RPG or whatever which is tried and tested and the previous iteration already made 3+ million sales. So it became an endless cycle of sequels and safe boring stale games. But the indie developers are filling in the gaps, and with kickstarter now, it's like a revolution for that.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It's more to the point of the game industry changing to fit the tastes of current generations of gamers vs. the "old farts". It's not different than music or other forms of entertainment: Group 1 which grew up with said stuff thinks it is the best, Group 2 is younger and grew up with different things and in their minds that is the best stuff.

Or basically its this for a large chunk of the posters on this board:

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Consoles are basically dead (this coming generation may be the nail in the coffin)
I was typing up a long, point by point response, and then I hit this.

Idontwantoliveonthisplanetanymore.JPG

The video game industry has always sucked hardcore, that isn't anything new. Sure there were gems but there was a lot of shit that got spit out as well. Sure, the industry has changed to a degree, but I think it's us that have changed. A lot of what we played in the past ranged from outright terrible to 'good enough', but 'good enough' doesn't cut it anymore.

I honestly think that players are looking for another revolution, a new generation of MMOs. And I imagine we'll get that eventually, but when that will be is anyone's guess.

axeman_sl

shitlord
It's the video game industry that's changing. Whether or not it sucks is pretty subjective -- I'm sure today's teenagers think it's great. Kids aren't complaining about it, they don't know any better. What's for certain is that the industry is heading into very questionable territory where craftsmanship and quality is a dying concept, money rules every single aspect of game design, and people who aren't growing up just now and thus know nothing else are increasingly starting to voice their discontent.

Gamers who grew up on Pong and Rogue were not disgusted with the way the industry was heading with Street Fighter, Quake, Ultima Online, Diablo and Baldur's Gate, to name some examples. There wasn't overwhelming opposition to the changes in the gaming industry in the 90s and early 00s. While the graphics and mechanical details are inevitably improving as better hardware is developed, one can (as many have) categorically point out why the video game industry has been nosediving in the last half-dozen years.

It's not just old people hating everything new, it's a consistent trend in the industry of developers having discovered that producing quality doesn't actually make financial sense because producing crap yields a greater profit margin, both because people buy it anyway and because crap costs less to produce.

Gamers who grew up on Pong and Rogue were not disgusted with the way the industry was heading with Street Fighter, Quake, Ultima Online, Diablo and Baldur's Gate, to name some examples. There wasn't overwhelming opposition to the changes in the gaming industry in the 90s and early 00s. While the graphics and mechanical details are inevitably improving as better hardware is developed, one can (as many have) categorically point out why the video game industry has been nosediving in the last half-dozen years.

It's not just old people hating everything new,
That's a really good example! Those games were new, flashy, different, etc. But old school gamers loved them because they were revolutionary and were pushing things forward. It's not like that now because games just don't do that any more. In fact, I was pretty bored of Quake back in 1894 or whenever that was. Because I had already played Wolfenstein 3d to death, and then there was an expansion pack called Spear of Destiny or something which was basically more of the same. Then Doom came along which was a complete refresh, and that was pretty cool. Then doom 2 and I think there were some addons for the dooms too. It started getting stale even by that point... although some games were really interesting, Strife, Blood, Rise of the Triads, etc. When Quake came along it was pretty meh, because it was just more of the Doom formula, just a bit higher rez and a bit slicker. But I got bored of it very fast. The only revolutionary thing was internet play, but that was more to do with the invention of the internet than anything else.

Long story short - even back then I was getting tired of shooters. Fast forward countless decades to today? All these Call of Duties and stuff... what a fucking a joke. The only thing that has moved forward in the past 20 something years, is the graphics and technology. The actual gameplay hasn't moved forward at all, and in fact might even have moved backwards compared to the likes of RoTT or whatever.

Modern gaming can suck my cock. It only gets some respect from me if they at least try something new. I love Arma3 because they just think so big, they had the audacity to try to put tanks, choppers, jets, boats, all kinds of stuff, all at the same time in to a military shooter, oh, and the maps are 60 freaking kilometres squared, or more. That's cool. Or even something like Prison Architect, they took an old and dead type of game and brought it back and added shit loads of depth. That's cool. As long as people actually try, I like that. It's all these endless sequels and boring derivative RPG's, FPS's, sports games, and hacky slashy action games that need to get fucked.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Modern gaming can suck my cock. It only gets some respect from me if they at least try something new. I love Arma3 because they just think so big, they had the audacity to try to put tanks, choppers, jets, boats, all kinds of stuff, all at the same time in to a military shooter, oh, and the maps are 60 freaking kilometres squared, or more. That's cool. .
Interesting, I played a shooter a while ago(2004) called joint ops and it had all this stuff and more and huge maps also(I think only thing missing was jets). So "new", no.

Interesting, I played a shooter a while ago(2004) called joint ops and it had all this stuff and more and huge maps also(I think only thing missing was jets). So "new", no.
Joint Ops is not even the same league. Big 'maps' back then were like 3km squared or something. People used to say Battlefields maps were big and I would be surprised if that was even 1km squared. Arma2's main map was 60km squared, and you could even go beyond that because it procedurally generated the terrain beyond that.

It wasn't really a map, it was a whole country, with like 30 towns, 2 airports, etc, all with no loading, not even going in to buildings. And that was in 2009. Admittedly these are all sequels of Operation Flashpoint so it's not really 'new', and Arma3 is due this year is just more of the same. But the point is that they are really striving to push the envelope. And it comes at the expense of being pretty buggy and requiring a hell of a PC to cope with it too. But at least they are trying, more than can be said for cawadoody, assassins creed 99 etc.

p.s. And not just maps, you are talking about there being 100 different firearms, all pretty realistic. Then 20 different light vehicles, 10 different tanks, 10 choppers, 6 jets, etc.. And you can control your own squads in real time, almost like an RTS either from above view or while still in first person perspective. And you can build structures - again like an RTS, but while in game - even in multiplayer. Again, all this from a game in 2009 which not many people even played because it didn't get the hype of CoD4:Modern Warderp.

ismaris

Silver Knight of the Realm
All this bitching about poor quality, money-obsessed games is absolutely valid, but Valve is the shining beacon in the darkness. Don't like CoD or all the Assassin's Creed bullshit? Support companies like Valve.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Who produced 1 game every 50 years. Of course, I support them by wasting too much money on steam so ehhh.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The same ratio of crap to good has always existed for the most part. The only reason you don't remember the crap as much is because as the years pass, you tend to just remember the good. For every Chronotrigger, there were 25 pieces of shit like Acro the Acrobat or Bubsy.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Yeah the ratio of good to shit on NES was astounding. Most weren't worth the cost of the cartridge components.

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
It's not just old people hating everything new, it's a consistent trend in the industry of developers having discovered that producing quality doesn't actually make financial sense because producing crap yields a greater profit margin, both because people buy it anyway and because crap costs less to produce.
This isn't game industry as much as industry in general. We export production of almost every consumer good to southeast asia and make shittier products. People refuse to pay for quality. Look at every fucking time we have the subscription model argument and 50 people are arguing they shouldn't have to pay 15 dollars a month for entertainment. People want something for nothing and are surprised when companies produce exactly what you are willing to pay forCRAP.

Darshu_sl

shitlord
I honestly think that players are looking for another revolution, a new generation of MMOs. And I imagine we'll get that eventually, but when that will be is anyone's guess.
I think our next revolution is pretty close. EVE-VR really showed the potential of the Oculus Rift and everyone who tried it thought it was amazing. We're getting there. We might even get the space combat sim genre back with VR. 3D displays flopped but I think VR and virtual worlds are going to end up being the next big thing even if its with rehashed titles. Grand Theft Auto VR, Red Dead Redemption VR, Wing Commander VR, I'd dig it.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
This isn't game industry as much as industry in general. We export production of almost every consumer good to southeast asia and make shittier products. People refuse to pay for quality. Look at every fucking time we have the subscription model argument and 50 people are arguing they shouldn't have to pay 15 dollars a month for entertainment. People want something for nothing and are surprised when companies produce exactly what you are willing to pay forCRAP.
It isn't that people aren't willing to pay 15$ a month for entertainment. It's that we're tired of paying 15$ a month for what amounts to, basically, an "access fee". If MMO companies were releasing a new dungeon/raid zone a month? Sure, TAKE MY MONEY! But to charge me 15$ a month, when the only content you add comes in 3+ month intervals, a lot of times without any "world" content at all? Hell no.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
I really wish the Asheron's Call model would have taken off and been brought to the next level. It was gloriously episodic and if the genre could have been taken down that path, I think gamers would be a lot more engaged right now.