Fallout 4

spronk

FPS noob
Here's what you need to run FO4 at 1080p 60 fps on PC (they go into more detail on different video cards too)
What does it take to run Fallout 4 at 1080p60? Eurogamer.net

E9OPBFn.png

xzi

Mouthbreather
I really want to play a melee survival build but I feel like I've gone way too far to start new already, lol. Melee kills in this game are so satisfying. Just gonna finish the game and keep leveling and turn into melee lord

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
My stats (with bobble heads + 1 perception from a pair of patrolman's sunglasses I'm wearing)

S: 3 P: 6 E: 3 C: 6 I: 6: A: 6 L: 8

Relevant perks for combat:

Action Boy (Rank 1) Rifleman and Gunslinger (Both Rank 3) Bloody Mess, Better Crits, Crit Banker (All Rank 1) Astoundingly Awesome (+5 Action Points, comes from an Astoundingly Awesome book #8)

VATS works fine for me from close up to solid medium range. Only long range is it pointless, and then I use a sniper rifle with a scope and use Action Points to hold breath while shooting.

I dunno man. I think its your Perception being a 4 that's making it not work great.

A 60% chance of hitting in VATS hits way more than half the time, btw. Occassionally a get a string of misses, if I miss more than two shots in VATS in a row, I just cancel it out to save the AP.

I use a mix of pistols, rifles, shotguns and laser weapons.
It might just be a difference of opinion then, for me 60% is no where near high enough for me to use VATS.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Let me ask a different way, in a typical challenging encounter without sniping what % of your damage is enacted through VATS? For me it's like 10%, but I expect that when playing optimally that will increase to some 75% by the end of the game.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Whenever anything gets close to me (mid range or shorter), I use VATS and the vast majority of the time it hits, from what I can tell.

I trust the % to hit indicator in VATS about as much as I trust the same thing in the recent XCOM reboot, which is to say, not at all.

Anything under 30% will never hit. Anything over 50-60% will hit the vast majority of the time.

I never use automatic weapons. All single shot pistols, rifles, or laser weapons. I use pistols for mid range and closer, and rifles for longer range. I just got a shotgun that does like 96 dmg per hit and its solid for really close range shit, like charging mutated dogs and bugs and shit.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I'm assuming rifleman applies to single shot laser rifles? Found a new one to replace my laser musket, not sure how this game qualifies semi-auto weapons.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I just got a shotgun that does like 96 dmg per hit and its solid for really close range shit, like charging mutated dogs and bugs and shit.
I found a 105 damage combat shotgun on my second trip to Concord (to crack the safes I couldn't open the first time). I was like level 9 or 10 and it's loaded up with Gun Nut 3 mods. To say that it wrecks anything that gets into VATS range would be a massive understatement.

Sadly, that's like the only really good loot I have found so far the whole time I've been playing, and it's not even legendary. I have a legendary pipe rifle that extra plasma damage (which is cool because gooifying shit gives bonus nuclear material) but the best pipe rifle ever is still a really shitty gun overall. .38 on Survival might as well be BBs against anything stronger than plain raiders or ghouls.

And yeah, rifleman is by far the best of the weapon perks. Sniper rifles, shotguns, and a bunch of strong EWs are all covered by it. I'm actually kind of regretting not planning to take Science! at this point, and I may have to adjust my build to fit it in. I haven't got Awareness to confirm this, but it really seems to me that most things with high armor have very low energy resistance.

Tuco--re: hubflower, there's like 13 of them in and around Wildwood Cemetery. Not sure how long they take to regrow, but it's the largest concentration I've seen in one spot.

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
Let me ask a different way, in a typical challenging encounter without sniping what % of your damage is enacted through VATS? For me it's like 10%, but I expect that when playing optimally that will increase to some 75% by the end of the game.
The only time I have used VATS so far in my 15 levels was on a glowing one that charged me. I absolutely could not hit that spastic motherfucker, so I equipped my pimped out double barrel boomstick and got a double crit headshot point blank.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I pretty much only use VATS as an "oh shit the mobs are right on me" panic button to clear a few out.

Anything that's more than say, 20 feet away from me I just shoot them myself, manually.

I basically explore with a shotgun, for up-close clearing via VATS if something jumps out and surprises me, but if I can get the drop on a mob before they see me, they're getting sniped/rifled in the head from distance, manually.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I hit my Pistol perks and roll dirty harry style with my .44. Laser rifle is pretty pimp as well.
I can not find the sweet spot of range/damage with my shot gun yet

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I think it must boil down to subjective opinion on the VATS thing.

The shit works well, but I think some people favor FPS style play, while others prefer RPG style play.

I can do either, and can headshot like a crazy in FPS, and always snipe from long range by hand instead of using VATS, but any time the combat gets heated, there's a lot going on, several mobs are closing in on me, etc. then I pop over to VATS and start blowing up skulls with targeted crit shots.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Yeah my experience with VATS is similar to hodj; I like the more RPG aspect of vats, and I do find it useful in multiple enemy encounters.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'd say I use vats 75% of the time.

Btw- giving a companion a minigun is fucking hilarious. Preston is a lawnmower now.

Favorite quote yet "Run and hide, little bleeder"

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
For me, the advantages to VATS at mid to close range are

1. It conserves ammo
2. Builds the crit meter
3. Crits can be targeted to bully down the most difficult mobs faster
4. The crits never miss

What I mean by mid to close range I think can be described this way:

Inside the Mass Fusion building is a good place to use to give an idea. The like second or third floor has a make shift bridge crossing over the main lobby area from one side to the other. Anything at a distance of half that bridge length or shorter, is what I would classify as mid range to close range. Anything over that would be long range. So when I was shooting at a mob across the bridge standing in the doorway across the way, I wasn't using VATS for that, but rather was sniping at them with a rifle.

Anything shorter than that and I'm swapping over to a pistol and engaging VATS.

image included for reference

rrr_img_115703.jpg

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone use the PipBoy (in general) on your Android/iPhone device? I read some stuff/watched some videos on it...not really compelling.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Anyone use the PipBoy (in general) on your Android/iPhone device? I read some stuff/watched some videos on it...not really compelling.
Its a cute gimmick I used for about five minutes before going "Well this is superfluous and a waste of my ipad's battery" and never used again, yes.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
So I just finished the USS Constitution quest and that was pretty cool seeing it take off and then crash again, was laughing pretty good. I'm like level 16 or 17 and still haven't even been to Diamond City. Just running around doing shit. Eventually I guess I need to do the actual quest.