Fallout 4

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I use vats for bugs. Little else unless they are close and I need to burn a crit. Otherwise I'm more accurate on my own.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
So after 30 hours of listening to the in game radio I decided to listen to a 50's playlist from Spotify instead.

Why is the song never been in a fallout game?!?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I found a 105 damage combat shotgun on my second trip to Concord (to crack the safes I couldn't open the first time). I was like level 9 or 10 and it's loaded up with Gun Nut 3 mods. To say that it wrecks anything that gets into VATS range would be a massive understatement.
105 dmg combat shotgun is ridic (at level 10).

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Someone put in some work on idiot savant/int:

I tested Intelligence, Idiot Savant, and experience gain in general; I performed over 5000 actions. Here's the results. : fo4

The guy who posted about his buddy/brother save scumming with 1INT gave a pretty good guess (8-10 savescums), the odds this guy found were 12.5% success rate with 1 INT and 2.5% with 10INT (the 10INT goes along with what I've found)

He also found that the XP gains are stored with floating point precision rather than being rounded, which means that if you plant a carrot and get 2XP, then increase INT and plant another carrot and see 2XP, you are actually getting more XP, you just can't see it the rounding.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Someone put in some work on idiot savant/int:

I tested Intelligence, Idiot Savant, and experience gain in general; I performed over 5000 actions. Here's the results. : fo4

The guy who posted about his buddy/brother save scumming with 1INT gave a pretty good guess (8-10 savescums), the odds this guy found were 12.5% success rate with 1 INT and 2.5% with 10INT (the 10INT goes along with what I've found)

He also found that the XP gains are stored with floating point precision rather than being rounded, which means that if you plant a carrot and get 2XP, then increase INT and plant another carrot and see 2XP, you are actually getting more XP, you just can't see it the rounding.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I use vats for bugs. Little else unless they are close and I need to burn a crit. Otherwise I'm more accurate on my own.
This also seems to be the big disconnect between the people who use VATS a lot, and people who eschew VATS.

Its not about accuracy, its about pacing/control of combat.

Slowing down time and selecting which targets are tackled first and being able to hit them with the targeted crits.

I don't think people using VATS are using it because they think its more accurate, but I definitely think people who aren't using it are chewing through more ammo at a faster rate (in fact I know it, because outside of VATS you do less overall damage, even before taking into account the new crit mechanic).

It simply takes more hits to kill something outside of VATS if you aren't sniping or getting a sneak attack bonus than within.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
CgblB7K.png

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I read that post and it's hard to judge if it's worth it if you don't save scum. Assuming 4-6 IN, and only 2 'wasted' perks on Idiot Savant itself since I don't see myself ever playing a character with less than 5 LK. Save scumming for xp is fucking dumb though; if someone wants to cheat that badly then why not save the time spent in loading screens and just use console commands?

Plus his data is all off a bit since each point of IN is 3%, not 3.33%. He assumed that 1 IN was 100% when 0 actually is, and 1 is 103%.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Save scumming is never worth it because you may as well just properly cheat.

I can see a 1 INT melee bash'r character with idiot savant being a lot of fun with that thing giggling every 8 kills. Do the high end melee weapon mods require science?

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Is there a dupe bug with the dog?

Got the message saying he found something, look at him ,and he spits out 3 identical laser rifles.

Also just did the area Tuco mentioned trying out legendary items, I got no legendary ghouls there. I started on very hard, not survivor though. Wondering if I should just shift it up to survivor. Is there any reason not to?

Vorph

I think Survivor is just Very Hard with super slow healing from food/stims? It's really not that hard, I mean I'm playing a sneaky sniper with a gamepad ffs.
biggrin.png

And as for Science, it gets mixed in with all the other crafting/modding perks at higher levels. It's really not optional as I had hoped, unless you want to rely on RNGesus to give you all the Science-req mods on other guns to strip off.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Save scumming is never worth it because you may as well just properly cheat.

I can see a 1 INT melee bash'r character with idiot savant being a lot of fun with that thing giggling every 8 kills. Do the high end melee weapon mods require science?
So THAT'S what that giggling was all about! Went off a few times for me last night with my headset on and I almost pissed myself. Really annoying.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I think Survivor is just Very Hard with super slow healing from food/stims? It's really not that hard, I mean I'm playing a sneaky sniper with a gamepad ffs.
biggrin.png

And as for Science, it gets mixed in with all the other crafting/modding perks at higher levels. It's really not optional as I had hoped, unless you want to rely on RNGesus to give you all the Science-req mods on other guns to strip off.
So along those lines, I've tried to keep up with this thread over the past week or two, but until you actually play a lot of it doesn't really make sense or sink in. I've only played a couple of hours and feel that I'm horribly spec'd, and now would probably be a great time to start over and get it right. I feel like my character would almost be identical to yours. I want the rifleman perk, and I want to be able to get things like lockpicking and hacking and persuading and that town leader thing that would allow me to connect all settlements, and any obvious things that I'm forgetting. Oh, and I hope to use VATS whenever possible (except for sniping). I also want whatever is going to be required for those gun mods you're talking about, which is Science and what, Gun Nut? I wouldn't mind stuff like extra scrounging and all that, but if, as you and others seem to be indicating, it really just helps you early on and isn't a big deal later, I'd be fine with leaving them out. I'd much rather do more damage or have some unique ability than just save myself a few trips carrying shit. I also don't really give a shit about melee.

So if you were redoing your character to make sure you covered most of those bases, what would your SPECIAL stats be, and is there a suggestion you might give for which order you'd take the perks (and maybe stat upgrades)? I don't plan on spoiling the bobbleheads or other boosts so I don't really want to rely too much on getting those early on, although I do already know where the museum one is (PER I think?), so that's a given.

I realize I'm asking you to do work that I could do by playing and starting over a few times, but you and others here (Tuco, Hodj, plenty of people I am forgetting) seem pretty knowledgeable and willing to help, so hopefully I'm not coming across as a lazy fuck. I'd appreciate any suggestions and advice any of you guys might give.

Thanks in advance.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
When I get back from this mind numbing class Ill hook you up with my build and the order I took most of my perks in and what bobbleheads to get so that you can do most of this stuff to at least the first or second level by level twenty or so. It takes swhile for any build in the new system to mature ( one of the things i like best about it is the need to preplan and how you get a sense of characters developing over time) but I can do most of this stuff youre mentioning.

You can also google up a stat builder and the fallout wiki page and see the full list of perks tomget a sense of where you want to go in the meantime.

Eventually you should be able to max out everything but were talking like lvl 200 or some nonsense, so my strategy was to try and grab most of the useful and best shit that didnt require over a six in most of the core trees like perception, agi, int and lck.

I definitely had to include the core SPECIAL bobbleheads to get it all btw so you should probably plan on getting most of them by lvl 20 (only one I dont have is endurance )

Crone

Rented this from redbox to give it a try. Under pressure to see if I like it before I have to return it! About to leave the vault and its making me nervous when it asks if I want to change anything. Lol

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Rented this from redbox to give it a try. Under pressure to see if I like it before I have to return it! About to leave the vault and its making me nervous when it asks if I want to change anything. Lol
Just play and have fun, max/min on your 2nd run =D

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Crone just buy the game you casual.

I'm rerolling today. I gimped myself on charisma and then really enjoyed the town crafting etc but I don't feel like putting three straight levels into getting local leader.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Just make a save right there and don't delete it. You can jump back to that spot any time you want to start a new game and not have to redo the whole intro+vault sequence, and can completely respect, redesign your character right there.

Vvoid I'm going to start my post here in a second for you bro.