Fallout 4

Jait

Molten Core Raider
If your son is the fucking villain I'm going to get Danny DeVito to shit on Bethesda's front door.

Throw Mama From the Train_sl said:
You only had two characters, and one of them was dead on page 3

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Vvoid:

My starting stats at the beginning of the game were S: 1 P: 4 E: 3 C:4 I:5 A:5 L: 6. This unlocks the following Perks from each tree for Perk point investment right off the bat:

Str: Iron Fist
Per: Pickpocket, Rifleman, Awareness, Locksmith
End: Toughness, Lead Belly, Lifegiver
Chr: Cap Collector, Lady Killer/Black Widow, Lone Wanderer, Attack Dog
Int: VANS, Medic, Gun Nut, Hacker, Scrapper
Agi: Gunslinger, Commando, Sneak, Mister Sandman, Action Boy/Action Girl
Lck: Fortune Finder, Scrounger, Bloody Mess, Mysterious Stranger, Idiot Savant, Better Criticals

Now, I planned for my "final"* stats to be the following

S: 3 P: 4 E: 3 C: 6 I: 6 A: 6 l: 8

*("Final" being defined as: The target point for all my stats to be at to unlock all the major abilities I wanted "first", as in, to reach a point where I have so much shit that it doesn't matter anymore and I can waste excess perk points doing things like maxing out my SPECIAL scores, and leveling up perks I don't care about at all, like Big Leagues and Iron Fist and whatnot)

This further unlocks the following Perks for investment:

Str: Big Leagues, Armorer
Per: None
End: None
Chr: Animal Friend, Local Leader
Int: Science!
Agi: Moving Target
Lck: Critical Banker, Grim Reaper's Sprint

To this end, after the game starts and you're in the world, this means I need the Bobbleheads for Str, Chr, Int, Agi, Lck, and I still need to invest 3 other points into Str, Chr, and Lck. You're going to get the Perception Bobblehead in the first hour of the game anyway, so that's not even an issue, and your Perception will be 1 point higher than my planned final stats as a result anyway, which is a good thing. I wear a pair of sunglasses that gives me +1 Perception all the time, so I have an effective 6 Perception for a relatively low cost as a result.

The way I accomplished attaining the rest of my "final" SPECIAL scores was to use the You're SPECIAL book from the start of the game in Shaun's bedroom in your house in Sanctuary to invest 1 point into Str, and then I dumped my first two levels worth of perk points into Chr and Lck. So you'll need to spoil yourself on the Bobblehead locations, though you really can't get most of the needed ones prior to like lvl 10-15 anyway so its not like you have to rush them, but you will want to get them as close to levels 15-20 as possible in order to unlock all the entry level perks you're talking about here.

The Perks I wanted/took by lvl 15 were:

Rank 1 Gunslinger, Rank 1 Lifegiver, Rank 1 Action Boy, Rank 1 Sneak, Rank 1 Bloody Mess, Rank 1 Better Crits, Rank 1 Locksmith, Rank 1 Medic, Rank 1 Crit Banker, Rank 1 Hacker, Rank 2 Gunslinger, Rank 1 Scrounger

That got me to lvl 15.

From that point I've taken these Perks:

Rank 3 Gunslinger, Rank 1 Rifleman, Rank 1 Fortune Finder, Rank 2 Rifleman, Rank 1 Gun Nut, Rank 3 Rifleman

That got me to lvl 21

My next 4 levels I plan to take

Rank 1 Armorer, Rank 1 Science!, Rank 1 Local Leader, and Rank 2 Action Boy

That gets me to lvl 25 with the ability to strip and remod armor and weapons of most types, allows me to start setting up settlement trade routes, makes me able to use rifles and pistols with 60% damage boost (including rifle and pistol laser weapons), gives me some extra health to make up for the low Endurance, allows me stimpacks to heal 40% of my health, allows me to unlock advanced level locks and hack advanced level computers, I can bank up to 2 crits for tactical use in VATS, gives me a bonus I think 10% damage (thanks to bloody mess), and allows my Action Points to regen faster.

Places you can alter shit are pretty obvious. You can go with only rifles or only pistols, limiting flexibility but opening up 3 perk points for use elsewhere. You can skip Fortune Finder and Scrounger and that opens up two more perk points for placement elsewhere, you can probably skip Bloody Mess if you want for another perk point (that makes 6 perk points that can be applied elsewhere). You can change the order of perks taken to unlock modifying weapons and armor and shit earlier if you want. You can retool some of the SPECIAL stats, but that will change what Perks are unlocked at first.

Here's a full list of the Perks, what they do with each rank, what level is required to unlock them, etc.

Fallout 4 perks - The Fallout wiki - Fallout 4 and more - Wikia

If you have any questions feel free to ask. If you want to change anything around, feel free to do so. This will get you to level 25, at which point you can easily expend perk points basically wherever you feel like, but I mostly suggest from 25-40 or maybe even 50 (I haven't actually planned it out that far yet) to invest most of your perk points into ranking up the perks you've already unlocked.

About the only thing I think I'm missing from your list of wants is maybe the persuading thing, but I think that's referencing Lady Killer/Black Widow? And you can easily divert some of the perk points that I mentioned previously from things like Fortune Finder and Scrounger to unlock that if you'd prefer. Under this point distribution that Perk is unlocked right from the get go with no additional SPECIAL score investment needed.

Hope that helps.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I think Survivor is just Very Hard with super slow healing from food/stims? It's really not that hard, I mean I'm playing a sneaky sniper with a gamepad ffs.
biggrin.png
I am playing with a gamepad too.
Done that super mart place 4 times now. 3 on very hard (only 2.8 times, died at the end) then switched to survivor and cleared it once now.

Started all runs outside before zoning in.

I got one legendary item on the survivor run, zero on the 3 runs on very hard. Believe you are right with Survivor = very hard with slow heal as I noticed no difficulty spike at all in terms of HP or number of enemies. Healing (both in HP and removing rad) was remarkably slower, but in terms of increasing odds of loot + mobs not becoming HP sponges like in many games, I would definitely recommend picking survivor as the difficulty setting. Will keep that on from now on.

And thank you very much for the Sweet FX settings earlier. At anyone using the nexus mods Sweet FX settings, use Vorphs settings instead. Increase FPS + looks the same.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
If your son is the fucking villain I'm going to get Danny DeVito to shit on Bethesda's front door.
Ahem. Do not read this spoiler unless you really want to know

He is the leader of the Institute

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Vvoid:

My starting stats at the beginning of the game were S: 1 P: 4 E: 3 C:4 I:5 A:5 L: 6. This unlocks the following Perks from each tree for Perk point investment right off the bat:

Str: Iron Fist
Per: Pickpocket, Rifleman, Awareness, Locksmith
End: Toughness, Lead Belly, Lifegiver
Chr: Cap Collector, Lady Killer/Black Widow, Lone Wanderer, Attack Dog
Int: VANS, Medic, Gun Nut, Hacker, Scrapper
Agi: Gunslinger, Commando, Sneak, Mister Sandman, Action Boy/Action Girl
Lck: Fortune Finder, Scrounger, Bloody Mess, Mysterious Stranger, Idiot Savant, Better Criticals

Now, I planned for my "final"* stats to be the following

S: 3 P: 4 E: 3 C: 6 I: 6 A: 6 l: 8

*("Final" being defined as: The target point for all my stats to be at to unlock all the major abilities I wanted "first", as in, to reach a point where I have so much shit that it doesn't matter anymore and I can waste excess perk points doing things like maxing out my SPECIAL scores, and leveling up perks I don't care about at all, like Big Leagues and Iron Fist and whatnot)

This further unlocks the following Perks for investment:

Str: Big Leagues, Armorer
Per: None
End: None
Chr: Animal Friend, Local Leader
Int: Science!
Agi: Moving Target
Lck: Critical Banker, Grim Reaper's Sprint

To this end, after the game starts and you're in the world, this means I need the Bobbleheads for Str, Chr, Int, Agi, Lck, and I still need to invest 3 other points into Str, Chr, and Lck. You're going to get the Perception Bobblehead in the first hour of the game anyway, so that's not even an issue, and your Perception will be 1 point higher than my planned final stats as a result anyway, which is a good thing. I wear a pair of sunglasses that gives me +1 Perception all the time, so I have an effective 6 Perception for a relatively low cost as a result.

The way I accomplished attaining the rest of my "final" SPECIAL scores was to use the You're SPECIAL book from the start of the game in Shaun's bedroom in your house in Sanctuary to invest 1 point into Str, and then I dumped my first two levels worth of perk points into Chr and Lck. So you'll need to spoil yourself on the Bobblehead locations, though you really can't get most of the needed ones prior to like lvl 10-15 anyway so its not like you have to rush them, but you will want to get them as close to levels 15-20 as possible in order to unlock all the entry level perks you're talking about here.

The Perks I wanted/took by lvl 15 were:

Rank 1 Gunslinger, Rank 1 Lifegiver, Rank 1 Action Boy, Rank 1 Sneak, Rank 1 Bloody Mess, Rank 1 Better Crits, Rank 1 Locksmith, Rank 1 Medic, Rank 1 Crit Banker, Rank 1 Hacker, Rank 2 Gunslinger, Rank 1 Scrounger

That got me to lvl 15.

From that point I've taken these Perks:

Rank 3 Gunslinger, Rank 1 Rifleman, Rank 1 Fortune Finder, Rank 2 Rifleman, Rank 1 Gun Nut, Rank 3 Rifleman

That got me to lvl 21

My next 4 levels I plan to take

Rank 1 Armorer, Rank 1 Science!, Rank 1 Local Leader, and Rank 2 Action Boy

That gets me to lvl 25 with the ability to strip and remod armor and weapons of most types, allows me to start setting up settlement trade routes, makes me able to use rifles and pistols with 60% damage boost (including rifle and pistol laser weapons), gives me some extra health to make up for the low Endurance, allows me stimpacks to heal 40% of my health, allows me to unlock advanced level locks and hack advanced level computers, I can bank up to 2 crits for tactical use in VATS, gives me a bonus I think 10% damage (thanks to bloody mess), and allows my Action Points to regen faster.

Places you can alter shit are pretty obvious. You can go with only rifles or only pistols, limiting flexibility but opening up 3 perk points for use elsewhere. You can skip Fortune Finder and Scrounger and that opens up two more perk points for placement elsewhere, you can probably skip Bloody Mess if you want for another perk point (that makes 6 perk points that can be applied elsewhere). You can change the order of perks taken to unlock modifying weapons and armor and shit earlier if you want. You can retool some of the SPECIAL stats, but that will change what Perks are unlocked at first.

Here's a full list of the Perks, what they do with each rank, what level is required to unlock them, etc.

Fallout 4 perks - The Fallout wiki - Fallout 4 and more - Wikia

If you have any questions feel free to ask. If you want to change anything around, feel free to do so. This will get you to level 25, at which point you can easily expend perk points basically wherever you feel like, but I mostly suggest from 25-40 or maybe even 50 (I haven't actually planned it out that far yet) to invest most of your perk points into ranking up the perks you've already unlocked.

About the only thing I think I'm missing from your list of wants is maybe the persuading thing, but I think that's referencing Lady Killer/Black Widow? And you can easily divert some of the perk points that I mentioned previously from things like Fortune Finder and Scrounger to unlock that if you'd prefer. Under this point distribution that Perk is unlocked right from the get go with no additional SPECIAL score investment needed.

Hope that helps.
Jesus. I don't even know how to begin to thank you. That is exactly what I was hoping for, and more. I'd offer a handy or something, but a Taconet will have to do, if I haven't already given you one.

I probably didn't know wtf I was talking about with the persuasion thing, I think I'm just referring to having a better chance at some of the dialogue options, but I don't know that I am going to waste perk points on those.

I'll definitely ask if anything is still confusing to me, but I think with this guide I'll have a decent grasp of what is truly important as I get further into the game, and will be able to decide if I want to change things up a little or not. But wow man, seriously, that was above and beyond. I can't thank you enough. I'm taking two weeks of vacation over Thanksgiving, so I anticipate playing the shit out of this in the near future, and this just made it a ton easier. Hopefully I can return the favor somehow in the future.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
spoilered the above post by Jait because it was reported as needing to be spoilered. I'm not following this thread or playing this game yet so fuck off if you don't like it.

Yukiri_sl

shitlord
Those of you playing on an extra wide monitor need to post a screenshot of it.
smile.png
Here's a few. My machine isnt quite the cutting edge beast it once was, I think it autodetected at very high but Im sure there's much prettier screens out there somewhere. I did the ini tweak to run the game at 21:9 ratio. It's pretty nice but the HUD stretching can be annoying when you do stuff like working on your settlements because the little dark background rectangles dont stretch along with the HUD.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So if you were redoing your character to make sure you covered most of those bases, what would your SPECIAL stats be, and is there a suggestion you might give for which order you'd take the perks (and maybe stat upgrades)? I don't plan on spoiling the bobbleheads or other boosts so I don't really want to rely too much on getting those early on, although I do already know where the museum one is (PER I think?), so that's a given.
If I was starting over I'd go with something like:
YcTcOAp.png

You're SPECIAL! magazine point goes into CH. Bobbleheads are required for all but EN. Not sure what to say there, I consider them crucial to any optimized build and I'm not sure how you'd work around that. You never want a single extra point in SPECIAL that could have gone to a perk instead. I only used the most vague spoilers possible, "X is located in this building" or whatever. Figuring out where they are and how to get them relatively early on was the real challenge.

Also, I delay the crafting perks if I don't need them for anything when I hit a particular level, and take the next regular perk that's available. Rifleman, Locks, Hacker, Sneak, Ninja, and Local Leader are the only perks that I'd consider carved in stone as far as the level listed goes.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
FUCK, first bug happened to come after spending 3 hours building my base without saving... Crash to desktop. Le sigh

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Rule #1 of all Bethesda games = hit F5 every 30 seconds. It's like ingrained in my head now, I couldn't stop myself from doing it if I tried, been doing it since Morrowind.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I had just enough time to play the first 5 minutes of the game. My apologies didn't realize that'd be a spoiler but can understand.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Didn't read the article but can easily see the cha/luck build pretty ready with some per or str thrown in. Still pissed agi tired to ap and has the ap regen because otherwise that tree would be a1 for me. Seems like all the crazy stuff on luck, per tree has some good ones but not truly exciting.

Not sure if love for laser musket. Essentially is a very slow bolt action. Maybe more clutch for high hp survival mode, but on normal, opening with a pipe rifle had shit just as effective.

Sulrn

Deuces
I'm not quite sure how to feel at this point. The patch restored my statue at the "Castle" to Powerarmor so I have 6 suits now in my garage, but I no longer have a statue commemorating the Reconquista.

With that being said, I can not wait for modders to finish this game and flesh it out. I definitely agree with whoever said it earlier, but the base building is bare essentials. there's a lot of missed opportunities with world assets that are already in game that should have been imported to the second database.