Fallout 4

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The other one is straight up witchcraft: The butler robot in the beginning calls you by your actual name.As in the voice actor recorded a ton of names?Not sure how that one worked o_O
Yes, they did record a list of names for Codsworth to say. Full list is available on the internet

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Just wanted to pop in and say thinks to Tuco, hodj, and Springbok for your help picking out the right card and getting me playing the newest installment of my favorite series. Got a 970 FTW+ but had to wait a few more days for a new PSU as well. It came in yesterday afternoon. Now shit's all hooked up and I launched FO4 in Ultra mode last night. Made it to the first Minutemen area, killed a few bloatflies and raiders and then went to bed. Today after coffee the full-on nerd session will commence. Also thanks to Vorph for the initial SPECIAL set-up. I don't want to spoil myself too much with looking ahead but I also didn't want to totally gimp myself and I can see that I would have without looking at his tables and charts. My god man you are the ultimate min/maxer and I always love when I'm playing the same games as you. Glad you're here.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The 970 FTW+ card has a serious memory problem that the other ones don't. Basically after a few days of playing it will be unplayable and you'll have to reinstall FO4 to fix it (every few days). It's a low-level firmware problem that can't be fixed without RMAing the card once they fix it on their end.

just kidding, have fun!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
As far as story goes, it is quite Bethesda. But there are some really SUPERB gems of A++ writing and delivery in this game. Mostly, its on holotapes. So really make an effort to find some of them if these things interest you.

Things I've noticed:

Runaway's Holotape
Eddie Winter Holotapes.
Cheers Bar.
Piper's voice actress kills it.
Elder Maxson has excellent delivery. But BoS has a retard level mission.
Boylston Club. Macabre beauty.
Kellogg Memory sequence.

The Companions in general are pretty good.

I also got the X-01 armor and I didn't even have to use any cheese to get it. The one time I actually found a use for mines! Just placed like 5 mines + 1 cryo mine at each door. Activated Stealth boy and triggered the bots. They immediately leave their little rooms to attack Cait and just gib themselves. Priceless!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I mean that's certainly part of it I imagine, but the push for voice acting all dialogue is a bigger part of it. We see this time and time again in games. The shift from written dialogue to VA truncates scripts, leads to fewer and less impactful choices, etc. Its a cost problem more than anything.
While I understand the general complaint of voice acting increases cost which means fewer and shorter lines must be used, I don't think that's a limitation to meaningful and entertaining dialog. It's just a limitation on overly verbose dialog.

And in games like Dragon Age: Inquisition where the voice acting budget is incredibly high I found that my tolerance for verbose actors got increasingly small because the quality of the content just wasn't that good and I stopped caring about everything.

I believe that shorter, more meaningful dialog that is character, story and world relevant as well as clever and well voice acted provides a superior experience to well written lines read by the player.

Argument: the voice acting enabled the Mass Effect 3's Tuchanka experience to be one of the best RPG experiences, IMO beating out any sequence that BG2 or FF7 has to offer.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have found most of the "main quest" dialogue pretty meh at best, but almost all the side stuff has been pretty great. Tons of flavor everywhere, the random NPC dialogue is stronger, the random conversations are great, a lot of the tapes and terminals are amusing or interesting. Some of the ruined scenes have a lot of story to tell as well.

I'm having a vastly different experience with stealth shooting than everyone else though. I have high PER + AGI and have been maxing stealth ASAP and up until now (level 20ish) it often doesn't even get me one free kill. Enemies just seem super aggressive compared with my stealth sniper in NV and FO3. I'm playing on normal and most big encounters still require me to reload at least once because I get zerged if I don't plan it close to perfectly. 1 STR and 1 END with no perks in toughness and not using power armor don't give me a lot of fallback room though.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I have found most of the "main quest" dialogue pretty meh at best, but almost all the side stuff has been pretty great. Tons of flavor everywhere, the random NPC dialogue is stronger, the random conversations are great, a lot of the tapes and terminals are amusing or interesting. Some of the ruined scenes have a lot of story to tell as well.

I'm having a vastly different experience with stealth shooting than everyone else though. I have high PER + AGI and have been maxing stealth ASAP and up until now (level 20ish) it often doesn't even get me one free kill. Enemies just seem super aggressive compared with my stealth sniper in NV and FO3. I'm playing on normal and most big encounters still require me to reload at least once because I get zerged if I don't plan it close to perfectly. 1 STR and 1 END with no perks in toughness and not using power armor don't give me a lot of fallback room though.
I don't have high PER or AGI but have been playing this way. Max stealth, 9 INT and perks in Gunslinger. I am able to VATS kill most anything with a silenced 10MM with all mods and the stagger effect. Currently rollin with Cait and she doesn't fuck my stealth play too much. Also wrecks stuff with the Plasma pistol I gave her. I have nothing in toughness and don't use power armor at all. Tons of fun to play this way.

I never saw the appeal of trying to snipe from a distance when you can walk up close and pop em in the back of the head instead.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
lol Tuco you got him good. Even I felt bad for him till I clicked the spoiler hahaha.

Im loving this game. Im a very sloppy Fallout player, meaning I dont have ocd and collect every single item. I dont take the best possible perk combinations to create maximum character effectiveness. I just kind of pay attention to the game world and really look for hidden lore and have fun being a wasteland weirdo with funky armor get ups and shit like that. I think it makes the game considerably more fun.

If you take this game too serious you end up finding ways to cheese the AI and make the experience trivial. Thats my biggest fear with these kind of games so I kind of purposely put myself at a disadvantage just to create more challenging situations. I never use sneak etc. I dunno maybe Im just an idiot but when I played FO3 in super serious gamer mode it stopped being fun.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Give Cait the Swan glove and let her solo things. She has a rad bodyslam animation. Put her in helmeted cage armor and she rarely dies, too.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
While I understand the general complaint of voice acting increases cost which means fewer and shorter lines must be used, I don't think that's a limitation to meaningful and entertaining dialog. It's just a limitation on overly verbose dialog.
Its a massive limitation on the choice and impact dialogue makes because it becomes prohibitively expensive to record multiple different dialogues for multiple different outcomes.

The worst part is Bethesda could probably afford to do that (record multiple dialogues for multiple different outcomes) anyway at this point, but choose not to.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't have high PER or AGI but have been playing this way. Max stealth, 9 INT and perks in Gunslinger. I am able to VATS kill most anything with a silenced 10MM with all mods and the stagger effect. Currently rollin with Cait and she doesn't fuck my stealth play too much. Also wrecks stuff with the Plasma pistol I gave her. I have nothing in toughness and don't use power armor at all. Tons of fun to play this way.

I never saw the appeal of trying to snipe from a distance when you can walk up close and pop em in the back of the head instead.
Probably depends on the follower. I've stuck with Dogmeat so far and he seems to draw aggro in close quarters way too early. Distance is much safer. I want to take Lone Wanderer with this build too since I can't think of another build where I'd ever take it. The funny part is though is that Dogmeat will start some shit and there will be him scrapping with like 3 guys 10 feet away from me and I'm still "hidden" but I can't make a suppressor for my good sniper rifle and my crappy supressed pipe rifle doesn't one shot much at this point. It does let me get a hilariously deadly shotgun sneak attack off though.

I mostly just find the sniping fun. Surveying the area, whittling down the opposition, then moving in for the clean up. It's been my go-to build for the 3D Fallout games for my first build. I want to do a CHA/LCK build, a Melee build, and a Run-and-gun build too, this is just the first of many.

I am wondering how hard it will be to add perks with mods. The perk chart is not nearly as friendly looking to expand compared to the scrolling perk menu from 3/NV. I have serious doubts about being able to recreate my melee perks mod from NV into FO4

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Give Cait the Swan glove and let her solo things. She has a rad bodyslam animation. Put her in helmeted cage armor and she rarely dies, too.
Bro. I don't want her to be ugly. She'll keep her combat armor. I will give her the Swan fist though. I honestly like the appearance of Raider power armor since it feels more... apocalyptic to me. So someone is going to be wearing that too!

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Stealth build really takes off around the third rank of stealth, around which time you should have a solid long ranged gun option to complement a short ranged light pistol. Until then, companions can fuck it up a lot and super mutant hounds will sniff you out from miles away. You also need to avoid wearing any metal armor prior to the third rank in stealth, if you can. Mirelurks will also basically make any stealth approach useless, outside of sneaking in and mining the area before drawing them out. Really any of the animals have insanely good perception, making stealth prior to rank three pretty meaningless against them. Raider types, on the other hand, can easily be snuck up on even without any ranks provided you are in mostly light armor.

Early on, the best way to tackle super mutant held areas is to pop one patroller from a long distance, then bust out the Combat Shot Gun and take out the hounds (who will find you and get there first) before disengaging. Once the hounds are dealt with, its trivial to pick apart any mutant camp with a long range stealth guy. I strongly suggest modding up at least one laser rifle or institute rifle purely for early supermutant fights, as their energy resistance kind of sucks compared to their physical resistance. Once you start getting suppressors on your guns it just gets retardedly easy to wipe them out, even indoors. Also be on the lookout for traps and alarms, as the Supermutants like to litter their camps with these (plus disarming them nets more XP gain) and walking past a tin can alarm can get the whole place on you in two seconds.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
A lot of people don't. They basically just Call of Duty the whole game and wonder what the big deal is. Vats is like any other aspect of this game. Its shit unless you invest time and XP into it.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
The 970 FTW+ card has a serious memory problem that the other ones don't. Basically after a few days of playing it will be unplayable and you'll have to reinstall FO4 to fix it (every few days). It's a low-level firmware problem that can't be fixed without RMAing the card once they fix it on their end.

just kidding, have fun!
Okay that was actually pretty funny.

Enjoy Gerbs, I'm pretty ticked I won't be able to continue playing for a few weeks, but once I'm back it's full on holiday/snuggie gaming mode for me.