Fallout 4

Intropy

Shit Gamer
Is there any way to tell what "type" a given weapon is? So that you can now which perks will apply to it?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The thing is, Interplay had already taken the rpg out of the game, and watered it down, shat out a stinker for consoles, and then essentially abandoned the ip to rot.

Weighed against the universe is dead in the water and the last fallout game was brotherhood of shit (which defecated on the canon more so than anything bethesda has done thus far) what we have is preferable.

I dont disagree with your sentiments in entirety, but some fallout is better than interplays final years with the franchise

Also thanks to bethesda we did get a fairly true sequel to fallout 2 in new vegas.
I will agree thatsomeversion of Fallout is better than no Fallout and Bethesda deserves some credit for "saving" the IP. I also agree that Interplay did their damnedest to sink the franchise and cash out before doing so.

However, let's remember that Interplay has a long line of management blunders. On top of that, BoS was released right about the time when CRPGs were going the way of the dodo,especiallythose of the turn-based, tactical variety. 2004-2013 was terrible for CRPGs, outside of a few indie titles or some anomalies here and there like Mask of the Betrayer. 2014 was a huge renaissance for CRPGs (Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: OS, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun, etc.) and it seems like it'll keep getting better for the foreseeable future.

Mostly, it just pisses me off that Bethesda continues to play it "safe" by turning Fallout into mostly an open-world, FPS. By Fallout 5, I half expect the IP to be completely unrecognizable, aside from the name. It's telling that the best Fallout game since Tactics wasn't even developed by them.

Wasteland was the entire brainchild for what became Fallout anyways, so I'll just look to inExile to continue the "tradition" of Fallout.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I actually agree with pretty much all that Kurin.

It does suck that Bethesda basically doesn't care about the series' rpg roots and is just boiling them down to half baked shooter/rpg-lite hybrids.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
For those complaining about the game's direction, what exactly are you seeking to have changed?

The game is enjoyable to me and honestly I love the FPS+RPG mix.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Finally got to sit down and really play this last night. I look up to check the time and it's been 6 fucking hours since I started. It's not as addicting as Overwatch but I'm excited to play this shit for 4 days starting this afternoon!

Are there any "must have" mods, and is there a mod that links all the work stations together so I can upgrade my weapons on the fly?

Caliane

the text mod is probably #1.
"Full dialogue interface" It moves the conversation options to a list. 1-4. And then, changes it so you can read what your actual response will be instead of the "sarcastic".

Theres a few settlement mods which enable many more building items.

Ammo crafting one is nice. but fucks with balance. it should have been part of the base game... But at the same time, the only time game is hard, is when ammo is scarce level 1-20ish. by 20 you are probably swimming in ammo even without the mod, and scrounger.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I use the Overseer combat rifle as my primary weapon. Chambered for .308 and with a reflex dot sight instead of a scope so that it doesn't fuck up VATS. I do have a two shot hunting rifle also, so with that set up as a .50 sniper I have no need of the combat rifle for long range. I carry a gauss rifle too, even though I have yet to find a single legendary one. A plain one still one-shots almost everything in the game.
I have exactly this.

I also have mu unlimited double shotty that i only use rarely. And a.bleeder assault rifle i sometimes use.

Caliane

hrm, if we are all using the overseer combat rifle, maybe I should stow it. Since it clearly is first order overpowered, like the wounding shotgun.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
the text mod is probably #1.
"Full dialogue interface" It moves the conversation options to a list. 1-4. And then, changes it so you can read what your actual response will be instead of the "sarcastic".

Theres a few settlement mods which enable many more building items.

Ammo crafting one is nice. but fucks with balance. it should have been part of the base game... But at the same time, the only time game is hard, is when ammo is scarce level 1-20ish. by 20 you are probably swimming in ammo even without the mod, and scrounger.

That text mod sounds amazing, thanks for the reply!

I almost shit on myself when a bunch of ghouls jumped off the top of a building all around me. I swear I ran for miles and they just kept chasing me, poor Dogmeat got his ass whipped.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
For those complaining about the game's direction, what exactly are you seeking to have changed?

To me, I thought the closest you are ever going to get with this new generation of Fallout that does the IP the most justice was New Vegas. In these types of games the writing is everything and that game had it in spades. I also agree with something that was brought up earlier. Witcher 3 really set the bar on how to do these types of games. Bethesda develops these games now (this goes for Elder Scrolls too) where they are so locked into their formula that any game they produce is always going to have most of the same issues they always have. Fans can look past it and accept it but when other games are doing it better than they are, it leaves you wanting more especially where it concerns an IP such as Fallout.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Speaking of the full-text mod, I installed it but I don't get the full text, just the 1-4 rework. If it matters, I have the game on a different drive than my documents folder (I know it has you install some stuff in the documents folder).

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>

I don't think I'm really complaining about the game's direction, but rather just the direction of the games industry in general.

It would just be nice if RPGs included more of the R, basically. More impactful choices that actually influence the game world and the outcome basically.

I love Fallout 4. Unreservedly.

Caliane

Speaking of the full-text mod, I installed it but I don't get the full text, just the 1-4 rework. If it matters, I have the game on a different drive than my documents folder (I know it has you install some stuff in the documents folder).
no. my docs is on my C, while my steam/fallout folder is my F drive.
check to make sure your .ini changes are correct. you edit your fallout4.ini, and fallout4prefs.ini in the /documents, not just "install" something there, iirc. the install, goes to your /data folder in /fallout4

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Are there any "must have" mods, and is there a mod that links all the work stations together so I can upgrade my weapons on the fly?
Simple Bug Fixes
Optimized Vanilla Textures
FAR - Faraway Area Reform
FPS Dynamic Shadows
Enhanced Blood Textures
Creature Blood Texture Fix (Static Size)
Faster Terminal Displays

... and there's the Full Dialogue Interface that others mentioned, but I don't find it useful/necessary myself.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Is there any way to tell what "type" a given weapon is? So that you can now which perks will apply to it?
I **think** when you actually inspect the weapon it tells you the effective damage based upon your perks. At least when I was leveling up and I leveled into melee damage my weapon showed it's damage going up. So if you're specced into rifles and you pick up a rifle it will tell you the total damage based upon your spec.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's pretty simple.

If it has an automatic receiver, it's Commando.
If it has a stock and is not automatic, it's Rifleman.
If it has no stock and is not automatic, it's Gunslinger.
If it's huge, it's also Heavy Gunner. (And yes, Heavy Gunner and Commando/Demo Expert do stack. Also, Cryolator is a heavy gun despite it looking not much larger than energy rifles. One of the plasma gun mods turns it into a heavy as well.)

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
So still confused whats happening. I'm at abernathy farm, doing a little gardening. I happen to before leaving to wander again, check my "workshop" info tab. Shows abernathy farm with the warning by happiness. 5 people. 8 beds, 10 water, 20 food, 40 defense. Why would they be unhappy? Still have never received a warning of an attack. Never lost anything, but also did happen upon some mutants approaching a settlement once.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
So still confused whats happening. I'm at abernathy farm, doing a little gardening. I happen to before leaving to wander again, check my "workshop" info tab. Shows abernathy farm with the warning by happiness. 5 people. 8 beds, 10 water, 20 food, 40 defense. Why would they be unhappy? Still have never received a warning of an attack. Never lost anything, but also did happen upon some mutants approaching a settlement once.
One or more of them is a synth

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
One or more of them is a synth
Haha awesome. When that happens can you shoot them?
smile.png