Fallout 4

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Gameplay wise, It looks pretty fucking great so far. Gotta say though, I really don't like the dialogue wheel with voiced protagonist. Half the fun I have with FO games is RPing and if every interaction boils down to a wheel with 'good', 'evil', 'neutral', 'ask for info' responses it's going to hurt that. Don't like abbreviated options either that don't really give any indication of what's actually going to be said or the tone used. I don't like a voiced protag on a game with a character creator either.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Just as an example, I highly doubt we will get anything like this on a shitty dialogue wheel and shit like this is what makes Fallout great.

HHvrfKW.jpg

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
On that note, I do wish they'd have the full dialogue when you go over your wheel options. Even if it just pops up over the top. Most of the time its just fine but every so often you hit a choice that is the polar opposite of what the 2 or 3 word description is on the wheel.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
see I thought the combat was pretty rough for the first several hours, then abruptly became piss easy once you had a unique weapon and a decent skill for it.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
For me the combat's difficulty has a low level of relevance, but Skyrim introduced a small step forward with the dragon shouts. They added a bit of flavor and twitch to encounters. I think Bethesda wants to move in that direction, but I'm more interested in making difficult choices with resources and plot forks. Maybe we can have both.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Just as an example, I highly doubt we will get anything like this on a shitty dialogue wheel and shit like this is what makes Fallout great.

HHvrfKW.jpg
I'm sure you will get stuff like that, wheel or no. Dragon Age 2 had a wheel option that was "jackass response" and it was pretty funny at times.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
see I thought the combat was pretty rough for the first several hours, then abruptly became piss easy once you had a unique weapon and a decent skill for it.
I remember shoving about 10 clips in super mutants and rednecks in ultra hard mode. Bullet sponges are fun right?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Bullet sponges are awful. The way you make Fallout hard is by:
1. Making resources very scarce.
2. Make playing the game poorly take up more resources than playing it well.
3. Make it so that enemies can kill you easily when you fuck up.

It seems like with Bethesda games I need to add a 5x damage multiplier. Whether it's FO or ES I want the enemy to kill me in a few well placed hits or me to kill the enemy in a few hits.

Usually in FO you get that survival experience at the start where you see a low level enemy camp and know you simply don't have enough bullets, and maybe you pick off straggler/outcasts somewhere and get some more guns/bullets/stim/drugs to do it only if you play really well.

But that all ends when you find enough good weapons so you can use 8+ types of ammo, find a huge weapon cache or make a bunch of money somehow and can trade for supplies. FNV was worse than FO3 for this, but neither game made it easy for mods or players to lower the amount of supplies out in the world. I'm hoping they change that for FO4. Then again I don't even know if they really are trying to make a 'survival' game.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
VATS is really what made fallout 3 way too easy, atleast for me. every enemy = run in and headshot over and over again.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
VATS is still in. Tuco if you go back a page and read what was posted by Dr Mario, it sounds like they're making Boston less survival oriented. I might be just inferring that from the context of what was said, but I doubt they're going to make supplies more limited than they were in F3.

The world's going to be much more alive. The world's moving on and rebuilding. 'It's not about the past anymore, this is their world and there's a glimmer of hope. People are getting on with their lives.'

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
VATS is still in.
Looks like they have changed it to be active though instead of slowing time completely.

As to dialog options, the new games don't really compare to Fallout 1 or 2.

Gimp your int, and suddenly you can't speak and say things like "wubba wubba", where most npcs also react to that, giving different dialog in return. Not to mention the overall humor/lore was much darker.

EDIT: Also +1 to Tucos wish of it containing a "survivalist" difficulty or something like that. However, considering this game has the whole crafting aspect with tons of guns, I almost expect more loot and ammo than the previous games.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Bullet sponges are awful. The way you make Fallout hard is by:
1. Making resources very scarce.
2. Make playing the game poorly take up more resources than playing it well.
3. Make it so that enemies can kill you easily when you fuck up.

It seems like with Bethesda games I need to add a 5x damage multiplier. Whether it's FO or ES I want the enemy to kill me in a few well placed hits or me to kill the enemy in a few hits.

Usually in FO you get that survival experience at the start where you see a low level enemy camp and know you simply don't have enough bullets, and maybe you pick off straggler/outcasts somewhere and get some more guns/bullets/stim/drugs to do it only if you play really well.

But that all ends when you find enough good weapons so you can use 8+ types of ammo, find a huge weapon cache or make a bunch of money somehow and can trade for supplies. FNV was worse than FO3 for this, but neither game made it easy for mods or players to lower the amount of supplies out in the world. I'm hoping they change that for FO4. Then again I don't even know if they really are trying to make a 'survival' game.
The way I'm playing now addresses most of this, except for the endless bottle caps and weapons: hardcore, realistic weapon damage(RWD), and project nevada for gameplay. Limbs are crippled from a few hits (or one big hit like a hunting rifle or nearby explosion.) Headshots will either kill or cripple your head. Also explosions are stronger.

RWD works both ways, on you and enemies, so fights are fast and brutal(I'm playing on Hard and reloads are common because a low level raider turning a corner with a shotgun will kill you). Getting the first strike is usually critical. On hard difficulty you pretty much have to aim at the head.

If you want something even closer to what you want, try Jsawyer or DUST (which makes new vegas a true apocalypse survival, no merchants, almost everyone hostile, stuff is very very rare. What makes it BS to me is that npcs don't use ammo in their inventory, so they will shoot at you all day, then have 3 rounds when you loot them).

As for FO4 I'm pretty sure I'll switch back to normal difficulty until mods come out because it will likely be bullet spongey.

Vitality

HUSTLE
@Tuco I'm playing melee only f3:NV no unique weps hardcore mode. Super fun.

Pro tip: stealth boys