Fallout 4

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
What's interesting about the android discussion is that one of the best mods for FONV turned you into a cyborg with a rich implant system.

Project Nevada at Fallout New Vegas - mods and community

The best part of it for me was the vision mods that gave you night vision, infrared vision and ultravision (dark elf style) and also gave you target analysis. Each one of the different vision modes dramatically helps based on the situation and you feel like a total badass tromping through low-light areas being able to see all the things.

40040-1-1296587343.jpg

The target analysis was a lot of fun also. It wasn't useful once you knew everything in the game, but it answered a lot of questions before engaging in combat.
40040-5-1296575626.jpg

You had to level up your implants by finding them scattered throughout the world in a similar but much less spectacular way as dragon shouts in Skyrim. I could definitely see them following the same route as Skyrim and Project Nevada as having an active skill tree in addition to skills/special/perks which grant passive benefits.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The plot thickens as either the above picture posted by Tuco is real, but Bethesda modified the page to remove the spoiler, or someone photoshopped the top line in. I don't know which, but here is a screen cap of the current version of that page

rrr_img_110617.jpg

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
let me break it down for the nerds:
It wasn't helpful when you knew that yeah, that group of dudes over there with the metal armor and spiky hair are hostile. And that giant radscorpion has mega-armor so you better switch to armor piercing rounds, and those oversized wasps? Put down the fly swatter and go in all coked up because they are the toughest things in the Mojave.

But still, when you cram in all the difficulty mods you can find and 50% of the battles you need to have a coherent strategy and near perfect education to both win and come out with more supplies than you started, having the ability to scope out and size up your opponents is not just critical but a lot of fun. And of course I play on ultra-mega-hard settings because I'm a real true bonafide badass (in single player games and internet forums).

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Speaking of difficulty, have they said anything about bringing back NV's hard core mode where you had to eat and drink and whatnot?

I sure hope so.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fuck cazadores.
Speaking of difficulty, have they said anything about bringing back NV's hard core mode where you had to eat and drink and whatnot?

I sure hope so.
I tried that and it didn't exactly feel difficult, just tedious. It just made double companions mandatory (because they didn't need supplies) just for the extra cargo capacity. Once you have food and water stocked on Rex, you're set. You just need to get a few perks you would otherwise deem undesireable, such as adamantium skeleton

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
It doesn't make it more difficult really, or tedious.

Its just more realistic from a survival standpoint.

I never carried any food or water on me. Just scrounged it from the environment when I needed it. Vault 13 canteen not withstanding.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

I sure hope so.
Fuck cazadores.

I tried that and it didn't exactly feel difficult, just tedious. It just made double companions mandatory (because they didn't need supplies) just for the extra cargo capacity. Once you have food and water stocked on Rex, you're set. You just need to get a few perks you would otherwise deem undesireable, such as adamantium skeleton

I never carried any food or water on me. Just scrounged it from the environment when I needed it. Vault 13 canteen not withstanding.
I vaguely remember them saying there'd be a hardcore mode, but I think it's reasonable to expect it. It was widely popular in FO3 as a mod to the point of it being obligatory in FONV.

If you enjoy these games as immersive experiences it's an easy improvement to make. However, it only works as a gameplay mechanic when resources are scarce and the player is forced to think and make decisions about his hunger/thirst/radiation. FONV did not really attempt resource scarcity and modding resource scarcity is pretty hard given the massive number of ways to get resources, generate wealth and trade that wealth for resources. FO3 was actually better in that respect because it was generally bleak and less resource heavy. This goes beyond food/water also. It includes stimpacks (which basically represent a larger health pool if they are scarce), ammunition, weapon/armor durability and radiation.

From a gameplay mechanic you want resource scarcity to force the player to make strategic choices about how they approach an encounter and build their character. You start off with very scarce resources and are forced to do that, and in many ways the first few encounters in Fallout are the most fun because of it. You roll up to an enemy base with 9 handgun bullets, 2 rifle rounds, 3 shotgun shells and a grenade. You open with two rifle shots in the meanest looking dude, then throw your grenade at a chokepoint you expect them to run into, you switch to your handgun to spray them down and then as you're down to your shotgun shells you camp and hope you don't have to punch the remainder. This whole gameflow doesn't make sense if you have 50 rifle rounds you could use to just pick dudes off from a distance.

With Rust, DayZ and other zombie survival sandbox games having become pretty popular it's possible that they'll reuse those ideas and make a scarce game but I don't think they will focus on that enough to do it properly out of the box. So from a gameplay standpoint whether there is a hardcore mode is basically irrelevant: FO4 probably won't work well as a survival game until it's heavily modified.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I vaguely remember them saying there'd be a hardcore mode, but I think it's reasonable to expect it. It was widely popular in FO3 as a mod to the point of it being obligatory in FONV.

If you enjoy these games as immersive experiences it's an easy improvement to make. However, it only works as a gameplay mechanic when resources are scarce and the player is forced to think and make decisions about his hunger/thirst/radiation. FONV did not really attempt resource scarcity and modding resource scarcity is pretty hard given the massive number of ways to get resources, generate wealth and trade that wealth for resources. FO3 was actually better in that respect because it was generally bleak and less resource heavy.

With Rust, DayZ and other zombie survival sandbox games having become pretty popular it's possible that they'll reuse those ideas and make a scarce game but I don't think they will focus on that enough to do it properly out of the box. So from a gameplay standpoint whether there is a hardcore mode is basically irrelevant: FO4 probably won't work well as a survival game until it's heavily modified.
So basically the Bethesda approach: half-assed implementation leaving the modders to flesh it out.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yep, build the biggest, most ambitious thing they can get away with and ship and let players take care of the rest.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
If you mod F3 and NV together with Tale of Two Wastelands Mod, the food and drink mechanic becomes way more interesting in F3's half of the game before you clean the water.

Also, I still don't buy the cryogenically frozen bit because the bomb drops like half a mile away from the Vault's entrance in that video. They're standing outside the Vault when it happens. If you're standing half a mile from the bomb when it detonates, you're obliterated in fractions of a second. I think the cryogenic freezing might be a handy false memory. Hell the whole memory of the time before the bombs dropped may be a false memory implanted into the android.

Caliane

But the game is not actually a survival sim. The gameplay doesn't revolve around it in any real way. I mean, maybe someone could mod it to be...
Mobile basecamps. A firepit, tent. water, etc...upgrade to brahmin, attendants, etc..
While YOU can only carry what you can carry. Limits on water, rads determine how far from camp you can travel on any given day.

Attacks on your camp. Locations bonuses, etc.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The game is not explicitly a survival sim, but neither was STALKER. Yet having to eat food, heal, drink, etc. makes the game more immersive in regards to the setting, imo.

The new building part of Fallout 4 looks like Minecraft done somewhat correctly, though, which is nice. Raiders invading your settlements and being able to set up caravans between them. That shit all looks fantastic.

I don't think anyone wants Fallout to be a serious survival sim, focused solely on that aspect. Its a story and an immersive environment and an open world rpg. Making aspects more realistic in regards to actually having to eat and drink, as well as healing various limbs that are crippled, etc. makes the setting come more alive imo.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I read the description and reviews for Neo Scavenger, before asking myself"Holy shit, why would anyone play something like that?"

Caliane

Haven't played it. but there are many games with such mechanics really. The dayz, rust as noted. don't starve, Terraria, this war of mine, and even minecraft to some extent.