Fallout 4

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
I think the whole idea behind Fallout is a dark, if humerous, reflection of the big nuclear scare in the US during the 50?s and 60?s, it would not translate well to other locations.
I think at least Cuba would be a pretty awesome location for a fallout game, probably some other good ones.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Just got ship confirmation of the Anthology. Should be here in a couple of days. Exciting!

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I think the whole idea behind Fallout is a dark, if humerous, reflection of the big nuclear scare in the US during the 50?s and 60?s, it would not translate well to other locations.

They could easily do a "fresh" restart in other areas of the country tho, like Chicago or some place like that. So far they only touched the east and west, still a lot of tales to be written about other parts and places.
I think you could riff on a lot of cold war era stuff, like if you have good writers you could prob do the USSR. That shit could be a riot.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
STALKER franchise was pretty good for what it was as well, especially the first one.

Rime

<Donor>
No? The anthology does, which is all of the older games in a neat case.

This comes out November 10th.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
I think you could riff on a lot of cold war era stuff, like if you have good writers you could prob do the USSR. That shit could be a riot.
Oh you could obviously, but it would not feel much like Fallout. The whole idea behind the world is the setting in sci-fi 1950's american view of the future. Vault-tec, Nuka Cola,the Enclave, The Brotherhood of Steel, the war against the chinese, the general pre-war paranoia that seeps through everything from newspapers to holo-tapes are all major parts of the background, and without them you would lose a lot of what makes that setting special.

Comrade-Pipboy, Stalinskya Cola, National Vault Project and the glorious motherlands communist party would certainly be entertaining, but to me it would not be Fallout. I prefer the more bleak STALKER series when it comes to post-apoc games in Russia.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, Fallout is too American to work elsewhere. I'm not saying that as a negative either, I think it's awesome, but it just wouldn't work. The only possible exception would be Canada, but then you might as well just make an Alaskan Fallout setting. Even a Western-European setting would be hard to do well as you couldn't market, say, a French Fallout to an English speaking audience without everyone speaking in phony French accents that would ruin the mood. And an English Fallout would just be totally different.

Well... come to think of it, possibly an Australian Fallout might work best. But still, for me, Fallout is and has to be in America.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
australian fallout already has precedent
tongue.png

i'm really looking forward to the outpost system. been wanting some shit like that in an rpg for a long time. they keep skirting around it and propping it up like a movie set, all hollow and shit. this looks like it has a bit of meat on it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm not super excited about the outpost system because it runs counter to the setup of Fallout. In Fallout you play a wanderer who goes from area to area as a generally anonymous dude, and make choices that affect that area before moving on again. The outpost system sets you up as ostensibly being a leader or 'primary worker' of one of those areas and you'll go through the routine of setting it up and defending it.

This setup is the exact same as one of my favorite small-time games recently:State of Decay. I'd love to see Bethesda spend a ton of resources making the outpost system the central core of the game where you're the survivor who changes the landscape of Boston by helping build and defend outposts for the faction you choose.

So why am I not excited about it? Because I think it's going to be some tacked on thing that isn't challenging enough to be fun and doesn't have the freedom to be interesting. You'll make some cookie cutter outpost, defend it from some mutants and that's about it. It'll be the equivalent of the arena in Oblivion.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I read somewhere that one of the themes they were focusing on this time was rebuilding. So in that sense the outpost system does make some sense in the game lore. I do agree with you though that it will most likely lack any real depth or impact in the actual game. I'm interested in the system just to see what modders can do with it.

Caliane

I've always liked the idea of reclaiming the wasteland, in pretty much every game like this. even DnD. Always found it lame, in these games, you usually end up some super rich adventurer/wanderer... but, DON'T do anything to establish order. setting up trade routes, etc. Obviously the gameplay can be at odds. Most just have the basebuilding as really tacked on. FO3 housing, Crossroads keep in BG/NWN. skyrim housing, etc.
Loved Storm of Zehir for that though.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
It looked like a toned down Minecraft type thing with the one component of Minecraft that Minecraft is missing: Invasions from outside your territory into your base with the appropriate use of settlement defenses. That's like my biggest pet peeve with Minecraft, that fucking shit can spawn in your base, that monsters don't spawn in groups outside your settlement/project and then invade, forcing you to build proper defenses and improve them, etc.

I'm sure it'll be shit, but I liked the general idea of it, even if it doesn't fit with Fallout theme very much at all.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
So why am I not excited about it? Because I think it's going to be some tacked on thing that isn't challenging enough to be fun and doesn't have the freedom to be interesting. You'll make some cookie cutter outpost, defend it from some mutants and that's about it. It'll be the equivalent of the arena in Oblivion.
That's very likely. Hopefully it has some hooks to mod on in any case. And I'm sure they're already working on DLC.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, Fallout is too American to work elsewhere. I'm not saying that as a negative either, I think it's awesome, but it just wouldn't work. The only possible exception would be Canada, but then you might as well just make an Alaskan Fallout setting. Even a Western-European setting would be hard to do well as you couldn't market, say, a French Fallout to an English speaking audience without everyone speaking in phony French accents that would ruin the mood. And an English Fallout would just be totally different.

Well... come to think of it, possibly an Australian Fallout might work best. But still, for me, Fallout is and has to be in America.
Fallout Miami. They can make a DLC to take you to Cuba. Mutated Alligators called Deathjaws, Futuristic Irradiated Super Mutant Pirates of the Caribbean, Chem Cowboys (instead of Cocaine Cowboys), and...probably more chems since Miami was built on the drug trade. Also a Fountain of Youth DLC, some gang called the Conquistadors, and more Enclave where Homestead Airforce Base was.

Of course, growing up in South Florida...shit is flat as hell. The landscape would be really boring.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
I feel like a bad person because I tried to go back and play through Fallout 1 and 2 and I just can't get into it. Dunno why I could do Baldur's gate enhanced edition but I can't get into this.

Caliane

Fallout Miami. They can make a DLC to take you to Cuba. Mutated Alligators called Deathjaws, Futuristic Irradiated Super Mutant Pirates of the Caribbean, Chem Cowboys (instead of Cocaine Cowboys), and...probably more chems since Miami was built on the drug trade. Also a Fountain of Youth DLC, some gang called the Conquistadors, and more Enclave where Homestead Airforce Base was.

Of course, growing up in South Florida...shit is flat as hell. The landscape would be really boring.
Aint no mountains in Boston either.

but FO:Miami does sound great.

They did the Alaska DLC. other places like China, Russia, could be done like that.

Personally, I would like to believe the non-cold war countries totally continued on, based on 50-60s sci-fi. Like Brazil is Jetsons. Japan has giant monsters, ala Monster Island.