Fallout 4

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Creativity has a lot more value in a multiplayer game though. In MP building an ingenious base is leading your tribe toward victory over the oppressors. In FO4 you're really just going to be playing dollhouse.
Load of PvP bullshit. I'd ask who are you do define how much value creativity has to an individual in a single player game? You like it in PvP because you can instantaneously show off and swing your dick around. This does not diminish the value a single person has for their single player build.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah I don't expect Bethesda to make it very challenging. They have this "Everyone has to be able to do well" mentality that really waters down their games.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Load of PvP bullshit. I'd ask who are you do define how much value creativity has to an individual in a single player game? You like it in PvP because you can instantaneously show off and swing your dick around. This does not diminish the value a single person has for their single player build.
The statement I made was a bit sloppy, let me throw it back in the forge and try again.

Creating something cool in a game can be fun and engaging if one of the following is true:
1. The combat is both difficult enough such that creativity is needed to win, and fun when it is difficult.
2. The game allows enough freedom and options such that you can create a unique and interesting entity within the game.

I've spent a tremendous amount of time creating stuff in singleplayer games like Sims, Sim City, Kenshi, Minecraft (most of it done in multiplayer though) etc. and yeah, I enjoyed "playing dollhouse".

But in FO4 they are recreating the kind of base building you'd see in DayZ. But in a singleplayer game. It's sort of parallel to the survival discussion earlier. The gameplay mechanics that make DayZ so much fun are intrinsic to the multiplayer aspect and trying to recreate that fun in a singleplayer game will likely fall flat. I did just that in Kenshi where I spent a weekend building the ultimate base that would be impervious to the NPC invaders. And it was. And I shrugged my shoulders and wondered why I even bothered.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I don't expect Bethesda to make it very challenging. They have this "Everyone has to be able to do well" mentality that really waters down their games.
It's not even that, it's that making a game difficult in a fun way is very hard and requires a combat system that supports it. Dark Souls is oft lauded but few people recognize that making a game that difficult while still allowing for a lot of player freedom and is still fun is super challenging. I've spent a tremendous amount of time playing Bethesda games on very challenging settings and tweaking it so that the game is hard but fun on my particular play style is very difficult. To do so for a broad spectrum of playe styles would be a monstruous task that Bethesda shouldn't attempt.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
BTW: I could be completely wrong about this and in a couple months this thread will be full of all of us posting our baller ass FO4 builds that are unique and interesting.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I don't disagree with anything you're saying.

I just hope the game is as fun to explore and play in as F3. I don't expect NV quality story telling.

I'm weird about the last gen Fallouts, because unlike most people, I really enjoyed F3s map, especially the subway/sewer system stuff that most other people didn't like.

That's why my favorite mod combines the two games so I get NVs mechanics in F3s map.

As long as the actual gameplay is as entertaining as F3s was to me I'll be happy regardless of probably much else related to the story, like actual challenge, story quality, etc.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't disagree with anything you're saying.

I just hope the game is as fun to explore and play in as F3. I don't expect NV quality story telling.

I'm weird about the last gen Fallouts, because unlike most people, I really enjoyed F3s map, especially the subway/sewer system stuff that most other people didn't like.

That's why my favorite mod combines the two games so I get NVs mechanics in F3s map.

As long as the actual gameplay is as entertaining as F3s was to me I'll be happy regardless of probably much else related to the story, like actual challenge, story quality, etc.
I also enjoyed the DC area a LOT more than New Vegas. The DC area captured the chaotic, sprawling and ravaged area of a metropolis more than people give it credit for. It's not the well laid out set of quest hubs with coherent direction and polish. It's a big fucking concrete mess of shit.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I really hope its not like that personally.
I know a lot of people didn't like F3s map and the exploration aspects of it, thats why I said I'm the weird one out in regards to the last gen games.

I barely touched F3s story and quests, because most of them sucked ass imo. But I explored every inch of that goddamn map, every tunnel, every twist, every nook and cranny and did it over and over and over for years.

I also enjoyed the DC area a LOT more than FONV. The DC area captured the chaotic, sprawling and ravaged area of a metropolis more than people give it credit for. It's not the well laid out set of quest hubs with coherent direction and polish. It's a big fucking concrete mess of shit.
Exactly.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Creating something cool in a game can be fun and engaging if one of the following is true:
1. The combat is both difficult enough such that creativity is needed to win, and fun when it is difficult.
2. The game allows enough freedom and options such that you can create a unique and interesting entity within the game.
Okay, this is a better way to phrase it and I can't disagree with it as much. I personally find far more value in #2 than in #1 and will be quite satisfied with F4 if we can pull off some wacky shit.

Also am I the only one in existence that didn't really like a lot of the mechanic changes they did to FONV?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Okay, this is a better way to phrase it and I can't disagree with it as much. I personally find far more value in #2 than in #1 and will be quite satisfied with F4 if we can pull off some wacky shit.

Also am I the only one in existence that didn't really like a lot of the mechanic changes they did to FONV?
Probably not the only one, but you're definitely in a minority there, in the same way I feel like a minority on preferring F3s map in most conversations.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't remember what either game was like vanilla, what mechanic changes did they make?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
They tweaked VATS somewhat,gave you a perk every level I believe, lot of little tweaks, then there was the weapon mods systems, the eating and drinking optional mechanics, and probably a whole lot more I'm forgetting.

Had it backwards, they changed perks from every level to every other level in NV

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
There was also the (re)addition of DT as a mechanic. Amusingly, after looking around on Google just now to refresh my memory a bit it seem I got fucked by one of Obsidians infamous bugs. Apparently mobs had double the DT they were suppose to until patch 1.2 (2 months after release). I just remember hating that mechanic because everything was way harder than it was in F3.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I despise how obsidian thinks 50 different ammo types is good gameplay, but aside from that I liked the little differences in gameplay. The broken quests and assorted imbalanced were terrible though.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I remember the giant radscorps being the worst because you encountered them early on. That was a huge part of why hard in fallout was bad. In hard mode they lazily just made mobs into bullet sponges, which was somewhat necessary because it was so easy to simply kite or otherwise attack mobs in a way they couldn't hurt you. This also added an element of scarcity because you'd expend 5 magazines into a super mutant master or giant radscorpion.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I actually liked the different ammo types because that was sort of the answer to the DT problem. You had to keep a collection of AP rounds for a few guns in order to kill the high DT opponents.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
DC and FO3 was infinitely better than NV. It was a very long wait for a new Fallout game.

Well...for those of us that played Fallout 2 anyway.

FO3 was buggy and ultimately folks put NV way ahead but that first night playing when you were alone and huddled behind some counter with 2 bullets and a knife, ghouls wandering all around and the last living human you saw was at the vault? It was quite the nostalgia tour and NV didn't top that IMO. The only thing other than the bugs was the linear and scripted nature of downtown DC. I remember getting near the radio station and some big pile of junk was keeping me "on the linear path" rather than take a direct stealthy route to the station.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea, I climbed a hill in NV to get at some antenna behind a fence, only to find that while I could leap from this rock over the fence, an invisible wall was there making it all worthless. That kind of thing is a huge buzzkill. Make the fence higher, remove the rock, etc. or just take out the bullshit air wall.

I dig those platforming open world console games that invite you to get everywhere however you can. Truly there is no "alternative" when everything is fair game.