Fallout 4

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I feel like a bad person because I tried to go back and play through Fallout 1 and 2 and I just can't get into it. Dunno why I could do Baldur's gate enhanced edition but I can't get into this.
I'm with you on this. Not because Fallout 1 and 2 are bad, they aren't, but so many old games just feel "clunky". All they need is some small quality of life improvements to certain aspects of the UI and things like modern mouse functionality and keyboard shortcuts and you're good to go.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It looked like a toned down Minecraft type thing with the one component of Minecraft that Minecraft is missing: Invasions from outside your territory into your base with the appropriate use of settlement defenses. That's like my biggest pet peeve with Minecraft, that fucking shit can spawn in your base, that monsters don't spawn in groups outside your settlement/project and then invade, forcing you to build proper defenses and improve them, etc.

I'm sure it'll be shit, but I liked the general idea of it, even if it doesn't fit with Fallout theme very much at all.
I don't really get the comparison to minecraft. Everything is templated nonsense right? Minecraft is voxelized freedom. Is there really much freedom in FO4's outpost system?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
From the videos I've seen it looks more akin to the Survival genre building than something as free form as Minecraft.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Fallout Miami. They can make a DLC to take you to Cuba. Mutated Alligators called Deathjaws, Futuristic Irradiated Super Mutant Pirates of the Caribbean, Chem Cowboys (instead of Cocaine Cowboys), and...probably more chems since Miami was built on the drug trade. Also a Fountain of Youth DLC, some gang called the Conquistadors, and more Enclave where Homestead Airforce Base was.

Of course, growing up in South Florida...shit is flat as hell. The landscape would be really boring.
Fountain of Dreams, the non-canon follow-up of Wasteland explored Florida (Fountain of Dreams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and was decent, so sure.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I don't really get the comparison to minecraft. Everything is templated nonsense right? Minecraft is voxelized freedom. Is there really much freedom in FO4's outpost system?
Its not nearly as free, no, and yes its templated.

The problem with Minecraft is that its freedom is a double edged sword.

I'd much rather have templates and limitations, but be able to delineate an area within which nothing can spawn, so that defenses and construction matters more.

That's a personal preference thing though. I don't expect anyone else to agree with that opinion, and that's all it is. Just an opinion/preference.

The reason I don't play Minecraft at all anymore is because the one thing I want to be able to do, which is construct settlements and fortifications and traps and see how well they repel attackers, I simply cannot do. That was the strength of dwarf fortress that Minecraft has always failed to replicate, that I desperately seek and desire in other games.

Caliane

Looks like Wildstar housing. Can't tell if things are bound though. Wildstar let you grow/shrink/rotate, place items in other objects.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Its not nearly as free, no, and yes its templated.

The problem with Minecraft is that its freedom is a double edged sword.

I'd much rather have templates and limitations, but be able to delineate an area within which nothing can spawn, so that defenses and construction matters more.

That's a personal preference thing though. I don't expect anyone else to agree with that opinion, and that's all it is. Just an opinion/preference.

The reason I don't play Minecraft at all anymore is because the one thing I want to be able to do, which is construct settlements and fortifications and traps and see how well they repel attackers, I simply cannot do. That was the strength of dwarf fortress that Minecraft has always failed to replicate, that I desperately seek and desire in other games.
Sure I get it and agree with you. I just don't know why you keep bringing up minecraft, since Minecraft is not similar to the outpost system. I think it's closer to the tower defense genre.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Sure I get it and agree with you. I just don't know why you keep bringing up minecraft, since Minecraft is not similar to the outpost system. I think it's closer to the tower defense genre.
I agree with that, and that was my other thought, that it was similar to a sort of tower defense game as well.

Whenever I see "build stuff" in a game now, my mind automatically measures it against Minecraft. Its silly, but I think its just a reflection of how iconic and penetrating that game has been in the gaming culture.

added: Comparing it to Minecraft is the only way to get my son interested in Fallout, too. And my manhood tier is reliant on how into Fallout I can brainwash my kid to become.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Just arrived!

rrr_img_111458.jpg

spronk

FPS noob
got mine too, haven't opened it yet but make sure its undamaged some ppl got dents and stuff on theirs. here's an unboxing for anyone curious, its still widely available on amazon, best buy, gamestop, etc. You get both discs and seperate steam codes.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I have one coming via mail. I expect a few Homeland Security officers too

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If anyone has a Windows Live Key working code for Fallout 3 (Windows one with 25 numbers/letters not steam code)I'll trade you my new Fallout Anthology Steam code I just got since I already own them on steam and GOG. PM if you got it.

Yes I just want it for Achievements :p

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
If anyone has a Windows Live Key 25 working code for Fallout 3 (not steam code)I'll trade you my new Fallout Anthology Steam code I just got since I already own them on steam and GOG.

Yes I just want it for Achievements :p
Any Windows live 25 key code will work usually.

Yes they were that stupid.

Cybsled

Honestly, the housing in FO4 looks like Dayz Epoch style base building. You could do some pretty creative stuff with that and I wouldn't be surprised if people add mods that let you do even more. In Dayz Epoch, people eventually added mods which let you make elevators and crap.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Creativity has a lot more value in a multiplayer game though. In MP building an ingenious base is leading your tribe toward victory over the oppressors. In FO4 you're really just going to be playing dollhouse.

Caliane

yeah. In single player games you need a bit of the "tower defense" aspect really. or some town/city management. one of the two. Base building games, simcity, etc are obviously genres, and single player. But that base needs a win/lose scenario of its own. Pure creativity needs multiplayer interaction. Pure creation with no fridge to pin it up on, is lame.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
They said in the 22 minute gameplay video that raiders would invade your settlements and you'd have to build fortifications and shit to repel them.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Right, but unless they spend a lot of effort that is uncharacteristic for Bethesda, a non-terrible base + a non-terrible village will win the encounters.

Ex: In Fallout Shelter you have the exact same dynamic where Deathclaws invade your base. What's the key to winning? Just throw six of your top level dudes in a room at the entrance with decent weapons and then throw a couple stimpacks on them as needed.

Maybe the modding community will make a set of 'hard mode' mods that throw increasingly challenging waves of mobs until you die or your city is sacked and to get a good 'high score' you'll need to really think about your level layout. But if FO4 is anything like previous bethesda games the combat will begin to break down and you're better off optimizing for a game built for that, Ex: StarcraftII or whatever tower defense game is popular now.