Fallout 4

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If you watch the 22 minute gameplay video, Todd explained that you can build settlements, recruit people (vendors and such) to it, and set up trade routes between multiple settlements.

Sounds like those perks are the core of that gameplay, yes.
I feel like I won't enjoy the settlement gameplay but for a first playthrough I guess I'll have to eat the penalty of 7 points to try it out.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Its just going to depend how much of a hassle it is.

Nothing I hate more in a video game than having to defend territory by running back to it out of the blue when I'm busy doing something else.

GTA SA had that for a bit when you did the gang territory capture stuff, and that sorta bugs me.

If I can sorta "set it and forget it" for awhile while I do other things, then come back to it when I want, that will be enjoyable enough.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I feel like I won't enjoy the settlement gameplay but for a first playthrough I guess I'll have to eat the penalty of 7 points to try it out.
Yeah, I feel the same way. Taking 5 CH to start then bumping it to 6 with the bobblehead--which I hope can be gotten early enough to not fuck up being able to take the perk at the same time as you get 2-3 settlements going.

Pretty sure it will be CH 1 and Lone Wanderer for any subsequent playthroughs.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
bnkjxT6.jpg

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah the gutting of the dialogue and turning it into a shittier version of Mass Effect's dialogue is extremely disappointing.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's weird to think that the time span between FO3 and FO4 is almost the same as FO3 and FO2. Such a massive difference between 2 and 3 and such a small difference between 3 and 4.

And I'm still waiting until I play to make a decision on the conversations but yeah, so far it's a big disappointment.

Vorph

How? If anything, "pussy shit" is using the player's FPS skill instead of the character's combat skills. Fallout is supposed to be a RPG first, remember?

Anyway, the answer is yes, you'll be able to COD your way through the game if that's what you want.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Unlike gore and karma, VATS is an integral part of the Fallout experience, so it's not pussy shit for it to be in FO4.

However, I hope that bullet time is modded into FO4 quickly. It dramatically improved the experience in FONV.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
rrr_img_115017.jpg

All three are integral. All three have been in since game 1.

/dealwithit

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Does FO4 have karma?
We don't know yet. There is no menu for reputation, but it may be under the hood. There are four factions apparently, so there must be some way of tracking reputation with them.

It is a huge error to gut the system entirely if it is gone.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
And we can already see if it is gutted how it will suck because it ties into watering down the dialogue trees as well.

Modifying it to make it more robust would be fine (you have karma on a scale from good to bad with different factions and maybe even different villages or people, for instance, instead of just one overall karma balance for everyone), but the concept of reputation and actions having consequences in the game world, which is what Karma represents, is integral to the experience.

Right now from the gameplay videos, the gunplay looks significantly improved and very "Bioshock", but the RPG aspects of dialogue seem to be much slimmer and worse off as a result. Rather than having multiple dialogue options that matter, you get vague Red/Yellow/Green/Exit conversation style dialogue trees akin to Mass Effect, which are ambiguous at best, and meaningless at worst.

Even F3 and NV gutted dialogue depth substantially (3 more than NV) and the game suffers as a result.

Its a fine line between reading/listening to a book, and having no interactions of merit or worth in the game world.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I agree. Karma being dropped is a facet to a degraded RPG experience. But I'll hold judgement till I play.

Fundementally I feel like most RPG responses boil down to "nice, mean, more info, exit" so the choices being simplified to that doesn't bother me. But that kind of dumbing down usually comes with the rest of dumbed down aspects. Given that the weakest part about FO3 relative to FONV was the writing it's disappointing that BGS didn't seem to focus on that for FO4.

Vorph

I saw the dialogue changes coming the moment they said the main character would be fully voiced this time. I'm ok with that though, as long as they haven't totally gutted it. I have a really hard time playing RPGs without my character being voiced now so I'm still hoping it turns out to be an improvement.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Honestly I don't care if my guy talks or not but he might as well if they are going to dumb down the conversation options so a 5 year old can play. Probably my biggest beef with the series as it has aged.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Yeah. Paying for that exclusive is starting to look reallllly dumb.

Another in the long line of Microsoft facepalms this generation.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I really enjoyed Tomb Raider 2014 and am looking forward to this one too.. Was going to pick it up and knock it over in a week before moving on to FO4.. but my brother bought me FO4 preorder so now I don't know when/if ill ever get to the new Tomb Raider.... oh well!