Fallout 4

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I doubt the settlement building component is something you can start right out of the vault, I'd just take like a 4 in Charisma to start and then use two levels to bump up that stat when you get to that point in the game.

In fact I imagine that stuff is meant to add longevity and something to do post beating the main storyline, so it might not even be worth delving into until after that point.
I'm planning on starting it whenever convenient on the assumption that it may be time locked + require me to pick up certain bits of trash around the world.

I'd hate to complete the game only to start the settler crap for them to say, "Ok we need 100 coffee cups for our ultimate building, it should be okay though because there's no other usage for coffee cups and they are super light, so just pick them up while you're running around ok?".

Or for there to be literally nothing else in the world for me to do and for them to say, "Ok we need a good ten days to build this thing, have fun in the world and come back later!"

On the flip side, if I'm balls deep in some vault and I get a time-critical notification telling me to return to my settlement in 4 hours to fight off an attack, well, good luck to them.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
It looks like I've got about 24 ranks worth of perks in my "core" perks for my build, another ~17 or so in my "secondary" perks, and then like 30 in my tertiary perks, so god knows when I'll find a level to take stats instead of perks.

My starting stats are going to be something weird like 1, 8, 1, 4, 4, 6, 4 I think. Goal is to be a sniper that can get into anywhere and loot anything. With charisma as the main backup stat because all the charisma perks look fucking useful.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Bobbleheads, people. If you know you need 6 CH and the only reason is for getting Local Leader, then you shouldn't start with it any higher than 5. Same goes for every other stat. The very first leak of pictures showed a perception bobblehead, so I'm even going to start with PE of 3 and hope I can find it before I need Lockpicking.

Quaid: Party Boy but not Chem Resistant?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Wait, you add +1 to SPECIAL with every level? And +Perk?

Or did I misunderstand something here?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Wait, you add +1 to SPECIAL with every level? And +Perk?

Or did I misunderstand something here?
you get a point you can apply to SPECIAL or Perks every level.

There's also bobbleheads out there that increase special (uncomfirmed). And magazines that give you +levels to unique perks. And possibly bobbleheads/books that give you perk points (unconfirmed)

Fallout 4 perks - The Fallout wiki - Fallout: New Vegas and more - Wikia
Barbarian None Grognak the Barbarian 10 Raises the critical damage of melee attacks. 00000000

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Since the real leaks are hitting I'm going to pack my head in wool and avoid this thread lest I give into temptation and read the links. One of the reasons I loved the original two Fallouts was having no fucking clue what the story was really going to be about beyond the setting.

So here's to hoping I can avoid all storyline leaks until the game arrives a week today!

Vorph

There's also bobbleheads out there that increase special (uncomfirmed).
The first batch of pictures the other day showed the guy picking up "cabez?n percepci?n" which is Bobblehead - Perception in the Spanish version. I'd relink the pic, but apparently Bethesda is doing DMCA takedowns because a lot of the stuff linked over the weekend is now gone.

Also, it's been reported that the CH bobblehead is at the very beginning of the game (another reason not to start with CH>5).

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've always done the Lone Wanderer kind of playstyle. Were companion quests and shit ever worth it?

Vorph

In New Vegas, ED-E was 100% worth it and then some. The rest were useful as companions and had some background/story. Boone was probably the best since he synergizes well with ED-E. Rex was useless, especially since he had to compete with ED-E for a slot.

In FO3 they were pretty much all crap, useful only as pack mules.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I would only care about story from companions more than actual usefulness. Guaranteed I'm leaving that stupid dog in his house.

Vorph

I assume it'll be like New Vegas crossed with a Bioware game. Each companion will have a background quest to complete and the human ones will have an option for some horribly-written "romance". I doubt any will have the amount of content devoted to them that ED-E did in New Vegas.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
So, In fallout 3 i built a High Int, brainy, guy with great speech and brains.

In New Vegas I built a revolver using, high luck, charasmatic, cowboy.

Fallout 4 I am going to build a huge Masshole. 3 Int, max Str who weilds a modded baseball bat.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
My first playthroughs all tend to be a high Int/Cha rifle slinger. I'm nothing if not consistent.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
i hope this one time i can avoid min-maxing it, will be easy as is

in fallout 3 i farmed the good areas for like 2 hours, gathering a good rifle, a ton of ammo and maxing relevant stats

its fun to one-shot everything, and then it completely sucks as the credits roll by

93% certain I'll end up going the same route, ocd too stronk