Fallout 4

khalid

Unelected Mod
I think we are being trolled. Or are we trolling him? Is Hodj the first Fallout gore purist that I have ever seen? Or am I Tumblrcunt in waiting?

Anyway, I'm gonna go hug my Fallout bomb.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The dismemberment gore isn't integral to the Fallout experience. It's a clownish realization of the gorish intent of the game. A less dramatic dismemberment system could actually help improve the style and experience of the game if one wanted more realism. Telling someone who doesn't like the silly dismemberment to play a different franchise is beyond fanboyish.

Personally I enjoy it, though I rarely take bloody mess because it dramatically increases the time to loot corpses when I have to sort through different piles of eyeballs instead of fully formed bodies.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
One has gameplay implications and one does not? Come on man, you're smarter than that.
Oh so the only toggles in the game that remove immersion breaking content should be the ones you approve of?

This is exactly why your position is flawed. "Muh immersion being broken" isnt a reasonable justification.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
The thing is, despite my distaste generally for gore, I've often enjoyed 'extreme' examples of it that have artistic intent. For example, Tarantino almost always executes it very very well.

From what I've seen of FO3/NV... it's done pretty poorly. Wish I didn't have to endure their terrible limbsplosions to experience their super cool world, but oh well.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The dismemberment gore isn't integral to the Fallout experience. It's a clownish realization of the gorish intent of the game. A less dramatic dismemberment system could actually help improve the style and experience of the game if one wanted more realism. Telling someone who doesn't like the silly dismemberment to play a different franchise is beyond fanboyish.

Personally I enjoy it, though I rarely take bloody mess because it dramatically increases the time to loot corpses when I have to sort through different piles of eyeballs instead of fully formed bodies.
Original design document literally says that over the top violence dismemberment and gore are integral parts of the franchise.

Youre damn right its fanboyish. The rabid fanboys are the only reason this franchise still exists. Theyre the only reason the ip had a value to warrant bethesda buying it up and making new games. Ive bought four copies of this game, two pipboy editions and two digital purchases. I bought two collectors editions of fallout 3 and new vegas. And multiple copies of the games digitally, for multiple steam accounts, paystation and xbox. Thats why this franchise still exists at all, tuco.

Compromising what makes fallout fallout to please non die hard fans who dont really care about the franchise is what will end us up with some dragon age 2 level trash. Theyve already destroyed the conversation trees in this version and the reputation system.

I think we are being trolled. Or are we trolling him? Is Hodj the first Fallout gore purist that I have ever seen? Or am I Tumblrcunt in waiting?

Try No Mutants Allowed for real over the top fallout fanboyism.

Quaid

Trump's Staff

Yeah, apparently hodj is to Fallout as Dumar is to EverQuest. Who knew?

Anyway, I'm still going to play the shit out of Fo4 despite the fact that I clearly don't understand how deep it is because of flying eyeballs mannnnnnnnn

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I am unabashedly as die hard about fallout as dumar is about eq.

This is false and this entire argument is stupid.
It is absolutely 100% true.

Fallout was dead and forgotten by all but its biggest fans. Interplay had killed the series with Brotherhood of Steel on the consoles. Interplay itself was dead. Black Isle was gone, Bioware born from its ruins, Bioware was off making star wars kotor games and shit.

The core fallout community survived and the IP retained value solely due to that fanbase. When Bethesda started looking the expand and branch out to new IPs, they saw fallout up for sale, realized there was still a fanbase desperate for new fallout games, and that the IP would round out their profile with a sci fi open world setting. Thats why they bought it.

The argument isnt stupid, its fundamental. You have already said nothing is forbidden, everything is permitted while suggesting the franchise become even more like mass effect. Theyve gone that route with the dialogue trees, youll see if you havent already, that it takes away from the game in dramatic ways to try and make fallout more like a generic sci fi shooter similar to that franchise.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Hodj, suck on this: Soldier of Fortune (2000) has a gore system better suited to Fallout's original design doc than FO4 has.

khalid

Unelected Mod
What about a compromise? Bethesda gives us a way to link accounts with friends to "give away" your gore. So Quaid could click something that would give me all his gore, but I would have to play it with twice as much velocity on exploding limbs. This way, the total amount of gore in the Fallout universe remains constant.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!

On the flip side there is no real reason to expect the developers to cater to desires that compromise their artistic vision for what makes the game. If they feel the over the top violence adds to the game experience then there is no reason, outside of economic, for them to even bother with a toggle switch to please a very small minority. This actually comes up in GamerGate (Gamedroping) from time to time. You should never expect development houses to compromise their vision for you, period.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
On the flip side there is no real reason to expect the developers to cater to desires that compromise their artistic vision for what makes the game. If they feel the over the top violence adds to the game experience then there is no reason, outside of economic, for them to even bother with a toggle switch to please a very small minority. This actually comes up in GamerGate (Gamedroping) from time to time. You should never expect development houses to compromise their vision for you, period.
I agree 100%, especially in a game like Fallout. There should be minimal settings to change these types of systems. If you don't like it, mod it. If you're on a console fuck you.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Vocally wishing an option exists =/= demanding change to an artistic vision.

I just want a toggle button like any number of other graphical preferences. I'm still gonna buy their game despite the poorly executed and nonsensical limbsplosions. Don't worry.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Vocally wishing an option exists =/= demanding change to an artistic vision.
I was not trying to imply you were. I realize you were just opining the subject and while I'm not going to get quite as up in arms about it as Hodj I would be unsatisfied if they did include that option mostly because I know it would have taken work away from another area of the game to fix something than really doesn't need fixing in an attempt to please a very small slice of the playerbase.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I was not trying to imply you were. I realize you were just opining the subject and while I'm not going to get quite as up in arms about it as Hodj I would be unsatisfied if they did include that option mostly because I know it would have taken work away from another area of the game to fix something than really doesn't need fixing in an attempt to please a very small slice of the playerbase.
So not to be that guy... But how do you know how many people avoid Fallout games due to gore?

How long do you think it would take to add that toggle? Let's be super conservative and say it would take one programmer one entire month of work. That's about $7500 in costs to the dev house. Let's say Bethesda sees $10 from every copy of Fallout sold (also conservative). That would mean the toggle would pay for itself in 750 extra copies of Fallout sold.

There are currently 40,000,000 next Gen console owners. If we ONLY consider those buyers, Bethesda would have to sell this feature to 0.002% of console owners in order to break even.

Or, ya know... They could model a new gun or squash one bug. I bet mine has higher potential for revenue generation. But whatever.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So not to be that guy... But how do you know how many people avoid Fallout games due to gore?

How long do you think it would take to add that toggle? Let's be super conservative and say it would take one programmer one entire month of work. That's about $7500 in costs to the dev house. Let's say Bethesda sees $10 from every copy of Fallout sold (also conservative). That would mean the toggle would pay for itself in 750 extra copies of Fallout sold.

There are currently 40,000,000 next Gen console owners. If we ONLY consider those buyers, Bethesda would have to sell this feature to 0.002% of console owners in order to break even.

Or, ya know... They could model a new gun or squash one bug. I bet mine has higher potential for revenue generation. But whatever.
You're out of your element, Donny. Fuck your feature request and blow your scope creep up your ass. You want the feature, mod it in and then come tell us about how a different limb damage system is only one month of man hours.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
You're out of your element, Donny. Fuck your feature request and blow your scope creep up your ass. You want the feature, mod it in and then come tell us about how a different limb damage system is only one month of man hours.
I admit, I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to development time. But go ahead and change my numbers to an entire year. What's that, 9000 copies? What are they projecting to sell on this one, 5,000,000+?

I bet it's still more than worth it.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Not very many core players skip fallout due to gore. Some kids overly protective parents might but thats about it. The collectors edition sold out immediately the second run sold out immediately its been the number one selling game on steam daily for month s bethesda isnt worried about lack of sales due to gore.