Fallout 4

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I really wish I could go unarmed, stealth like the older games. I loved Fallout 2's New Reno, especially things like the Boxing Ring and eventually coming across Ninjatown/San Francisco. I was really disappointed NV didn't include any Boxing or MMA. It's hard to articulate, but it just isn't fun playing that type of character in the new games.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
One of the things I had hoped would happen to Elder Scrolls Skyrim, which didn't, was that Bethesda would port some modified form of VATS to it, only so they could justify spending money and time improving melee VATS and then port it back into the eventual Fallout 4. I really would like to see them go that route, use Elder Scrolls to develop a solid melee combat engine where you can target limbs with melee weapons and lop them off and shit, then port that back over to Fallout to round out VATS in Fallout better.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wait, in FO4 you still cannot target limbs in VATS melee? I haven't watched any of the leaked stuff and only looked at a handful of screenshots.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Wait, in FO4 you still cannot target limbs in VATS melee? I haven't watched any of the leaked stuff and only looked at a handful of screenshots.
One perk suggests you may be able to target heads, but I seriously doubt they've overhauled the system to allow targeting of limbs in VATS with melee.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
That's sacred and not permitted!
Improving melee combat in a melee combat heavy game would be in line with the game play.

They already did make melee combat in Skyrim better than Oblivion and Morrowind.

They would definitely have to modify it so it didn't look like you're looking through some hi tech VR device to calculate percentages to hit and shit in ES though.

Also Elder Scrolls has no passionate fan base that kept it alive. Its the most generic gameplay in the world. Its almost laughably bad. How many people that played Skyrim had ever even heard of Arena? Or could describe what the core components of the game were? Zero.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
"Improving" my ass. Quit trying to dramatically reduce skill caps in my favorite games filthy casual.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
"Improving" my ass. Quit trying to dramatically reduce skill caps in my favorite games filthy casual.
Tuco ready to die on the mountain that says Elder Scrolls requires skill to play is hilarious levels of stretching to create false equivalency.

Deathblow animations in Skyrim are, however, a close approximation to VATS style gameplay. I don't know that pausing combat to target limbs in ES would work though. The newer system Fallout 4 has would probably work better there.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
So is anyone else planning on rerolling when they discover their name isn't voiced? I'm usually Tuco in these games but it's such a novel feature (No one else has attempted that, right?) that I feel obligated to use it.

If I had to guess what they used as a base for their name selection it'd probably be something like this:
1000 Most Popular Names of the 1980s top baby names - Baby2see.com

which sadly does not have Tuco on it, but has my real name fairly high up.
Dammit. I'm top five.

I'm the Aiden of my time

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Also Elder Scrolls has no passionate fan base that kept it alive. Its the most generic gameplay in the world. Its almost laughably bad. How many people that played Skyrim had ever even heard of Arena? Or could describe what the core components of the game were? Zero.
/raises hand

I mean, c'mon now, that's a terrible position to take on these forums, LOL. You're surrounded by people who grew up playing the ES games...FFS, half of us still argue that EQ1 was the pinnacle of MMO design. I wouldn't be the least surprised if someone here actually has Arena/Daggerfall installedright now. Every so often I try Daggerfall through DOSbox (I fail at setup I guess), and I have Wasteland 1 installed right now and am still thinking about replaying it.

Dulldain_sl

shitlord
I don't want to run around and melee 24/7, and I don't want to have to stealth to make melee viable. I should probably rely on turbo, but meh. I'm actually very happy that we'll be getting a sprint ability in 4......
I kinda feel the same way, what I am looking at real seriously is the level 8 Str perk,
Basher has 4 ranks:

Rank 1: Get up close and personal! Gun bashing does 25% more damage. (Requires: STR 8)
Rank 2: Gun bashing now does 50% more damage and possibly cripples your opponent. (Requires: Level 5, STR 8)
Rank 3: Gun bashing now does 75% more damage and has an increased chance to cripple your opponent. (Requires: Level 14, STR 8)
Rank 4: Gun bashing does double damage and has an increased chance to cripple your opponent. It may also inflict a Critical Hit. (Requires: Level 26, STR 8)
in the gun crafting they have shown bayonets and the like. So if I could sneak up to someone and stab them in the neck with the bayonet (and it work with the Ninja Perk) and then shot them with the shotgun its attached to I would be in FO heaven. Or the exact opposite shoot then and when they get close stab them in the face, again still FO heaven.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
/raises hand

I mean, c'mon now, that's a terrible position to take on these forums, LOL. You're surrounded by people who grew up playing the ES games...FFS, half of us still argue that EQ1 was the pinnacle of MMO design. I wouldn't be the least surprised if someone here actually has Arena/Daggerfall installedright now. Every so often I try Daggerfall through DOSbox (I fail at setup I guess), and I have Wasteland 1 installed right now and am still thinking about replaying it.
I think you've missed my point.

Elder Scrolls never came close to dying because its owners went bankrupt due to terrible business decisions by the French, and frankly, had it done so, there would not have been remotely the sort of broad reaching fan base around to keep the dream alive for a decade. I'm sorry but there wasn't. Elder Scrolls became popular mostly with Oblivion. Prior to that it was a fringe title. Oblivion was also awful. Modern gamers know the franchise by its subtitles (Oblivion/Skyrim) not its core name. There might be some old musty fucks like ourselves round these parts that can recall Arena (I can) but the vociferous and near violent passion of Fallout does not exist for ES. It simply doesn't.

Regardless, dramatically improving the melee combat in a melee combat heavy game is not remotely comparable to gutting a core component of that franchise to please a handful of people who get triggered by violence in video games.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is it the 10th yet?

2oDCGyY.png

Not actually bored enough to plan each level out in advance...........yet.
biggrin.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Why man hunter? +20% damage to male humans doesn't seem worth it.

Also who thinks that dogmeat will be great in FO4? I never used it in FO3 because it died too easily. I used ED-E and Boone in FONV because they were ranged and didn't take hits, but in a lot of hard areas I just had them stay back.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Why man hunter? +20% damage to male humans doesn't seem worth it.

Also who thinks that dogmeat will be great in FO4? I never used it in FO3 because it died too easily. I used ED-E and Boone in FONV because they were ranged and didn't take hits, but in a lot of hard areas I just had them stay back.
The pet perk you could get that gave you new dogmeat puppies was nice, but yeah, I never used him in FO3, although with Tale of Two Wastelands installed for some reason he has like 8k and 10k HP and fucking trucks everything he meets its ridiculous.

Since I got a German Shepherd puppy this summer, and Dogmeat in 4 is a pure breed German Shepherd, I'm certain I'll be using him.

This thread is no longer a safe space. Dammit Hodj.
WTF did I do?

You wouldn't survive in the skyrim configuration I use.
Post it up Tacobux.

Skyrim is

Added:

If you have to mod the game to make it remotely challenging, I'm really not seeing how that refutes my position.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>