Fallout 4

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I just reinstalled Skyrim yesterday so I'll give em a looksie. Combat realism looks good.

Dulldain_sl

shitlord
Is it the 10th yet?

2oDCGyY.png

Not actually bored enough to plan each level out in advance...........yet.
biggrin.png
Couldn't you dump Action Girl and rely only on Grim Reaper? Crit Banker looks op though.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Grim Reaper fails when you're fighting a tough mob, which is often one of the critical difficult times in games. Crit banker might end up being bad at the endgame when your crit meter fill rate is so massive every other hit is a crit. Having to manually trigger three crits would just slow me down.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Why man hunter? +20% damage to male humans doesn't seem worth it.
It's the only thing remaining of the Speech skill as far as I can tell, figured there might be some funny dialogue in there somewhere that would make it worth taking for one playthrough.

Also, I could have sworn it worked on super mutants in New Vegas, but I guess I was mistaken. Maybe I'll just max out Medic instead. Or take Mister Sandman to 3 if there's a silencer available for the pistol I end up using. I'm expecting to have to use a revolver to get enough damage out of a handgun to make Gunslinger worthlwhile, and I assume we won't see silencer mods for them.

Grim Reaper fails when you're fighting a tough mob, which is often one of the critical difficult times in games. Crit banker might end up being bad at the endgame when your crit meter fill rate is so massive every other hit is a crit. Having to manually trigger three crits would just slow me down.
I don't mind possibly being slowed down. I'd play the whole game in VATS if I could. (Every combat encounter, I mean.) So I'm definitely taking every single VATS perk that I can reasonably get to without massive SPECIAL investment on my first playthrough.

I'd prefer to use rifles, but there's just not enough perks to go around when I have no idea what level you can realistically expect to be at the end. I'm just guessing that you'll be around level 50 at the end, and I don't see the point in continuing to wander around post-game leveling up for no reason. I'd rather just start over with a new build.

I'm sure it's been asked...Does Dogmeat count as a companion?
Isn't it like NV? One human (possibly mutant/ghoul/whatever) and one animal/robot for companions.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I thought it might be like the original games though in that case it was due to bugs. After the video it occurred to me when the dude threw a grenade into the room with Dogmeat, and he walked out on fire but just fine that perhaps it was innately tied to the character in this game since you always seem to see Dogmeat with the Wanderer.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I thought it might be like the original games though in that case it was due to bugs. After the video it occurred to me when the dude threw a grenade into the room with Dogmeat, and he walked out on fire but just fine that perhaps it was innately tied to the character in this game since you always seem to see Dogmeat with the Wanderer.
Nah, its just Dogmeat is now invincible in Fallout 4.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I think you've missed my point.

Elder Scrolls never came close to dying because its owners went bankrupt due to terrible business decisions by the French, and frankly, had it done so, there would not have been remotely the sort of broad reaching fan base around to keep the dream alive for a decade. I'm sorry but there wasn't. Elder Scrolls became popular mostly with Oblivion. Prior to that it was a fringe title. Oblivion was also awful. Modern gamers know the franchise by its subtitles (Oblivion/Skyrim) not its core name. There might be some old musty fucks like ourselves round these parts that can recall Arena (I can) but the vociferous and near violent passion of Fallout does not exist for ES. It simply doesn't.

Regardless, dramatically improving the melee combat in a melee combat heavy game is not remotely comparable to gutting a core component of that franchise to please a handful of people who get triggered by violence in video games.
I didn't miss your point, I disagreed with it. And FO1/FO2 were also fringe titles to a degree, and I still remember the debates that FO3 generated, along the lines of"if you ever want to see a Fallout title again, you'll have to embrace the FPS style because otherwise it will remain in the dustbin of time with so many other games". You may want to ignore the decade between FO2 and FO3 and how it was also a leap forward away from "musty old fucks" into a new FPS generation, but I won't.

Just admit your comment was bad and move on, and stop trying to do to me what you did to Quaid.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I didn't miss your point, I disagreed with it. And FO1/FO2 were also fringe titles to a degree, and I still remember the debates that FO3 generated, along the lines of"if you ever want to see a Fallout title again, you'll have to embrace the FPS style because otherwise it will remain in the dustbin of time with so many other games". You may want to ignore the decade between FO2 and FO3 and how it was also a leap forward away from "musty old fucks" into a new FPS generation, but I won't.

Just admit your comment was bad and move on, and stop trying to do to me what you did to Quaid.
Sir, I reject this entire post as egregiously incorrect in every way!

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Ah I didn't know that. I assume it gets knocked unconcious and would basically spend any tough fight sleeping on the ground.
I suspect that will be the case as well, by "invicible" I just mean "can't permanently die".

Like NPC companions in Skyrim basically.

Dulldain_sl

shitlord
Good points, I guess it depends how fast the meter fills up, how it fills up (hits, kills, or damage) and if Crit Banker holds onto the crits in between combats. Recalculating.......

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I created a list of desirable perks last night and sorted them by desirability. It ended up being a list of all the assumptions I knew I was making when evaluating them, who knows how many assumptions I don't know I am making.

I'll be happy if I can get a list of decent perks I know will be must-haves so I can get high enough to test all my assumptions.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, some VATS stuff might end up being redundant/overkill in the long run. Can't get them all working together at max rank until practically level 50 though.

Kind of like how the Endurance stuff has some pretty dumb overlaps. Like why you would want Lead Belly, Rad Resistant, or Aquaboy to mess with radiation when you could just take EN to 9 and pick up Ghoulish instead? At that point, having taken any of those earlier perks would actually be gimping your ability to heal.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'd agree if the regen offset whatever stat penalty they have. From the wiki it says that radiation reduces max health instead of special (which I disagree with but whatever). If the tradeoff is half health vs 1 hp / 6s regen then ghoulish isn't that good. Regen in fallout has historically not been that good because of heavy burst damage + lots of ways to regen health.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Anyone know what:

Local Leader
1 CH 6 As the ruler everyone turns to, you are able to establish supply lines between your workshop settlements. 00000000
2 CH 6, LVL 14 You can build stores and workstations at workshop settlements.

Actually does? It sounds like this is all but needed for proper settlements? It's pretty annoying that it's a level 6 charisma perk.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Anyone know what:

Local Leader
1 CH 6 As the ruler everyone turns to, you are able to establish supply lines between your workshop settlements. 00000000
2 CH 6, LVL 14 You can build stores and workstations at workshop settlements.

Actually does? It sounds like this is all but needed for proper settlements? It's pretty annoying that it's a level 6 charisma perk.
If you watch the 22 minute gameplay video, Todd explained that you can build settlements, recruit people (vendors and such) to it, and set up trade routes between multiple settlements.

Sounds like those perks are the core of that gameplay, yes.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Oh man blitz perk sounds awesome, can't wait to ninja teleport combo shit with a nail bat and eventually explosive fists.