Fallout 4

Denaut

Trump's Staff
There was just a post about the workbench breakdown bug in Reddit, it appears that it might just be a UI bug. The components are actually workbench in the inventory, for example you can craft an item using the now leftover components, but they don't show up in the inventory screen if you look manually. Eventually they will show up though, the Workbench UI might only periodically refresh or there is a UI refresh trigger broken or something.

From:Reasonabledwarf comments on Crafting tip, so you don't waste your resources.
Okay, so I tried this: I wanted to add "Pocketed" to a leather armpiece. I needed 3 Adhesive, 4 Leather, and 4 Cloth. I went to an unused workbench, and added three baseballs and a teddy bear, as well as two wonderglues and some newspapers. The wonderglues generate 2 Adhesives each; baseballs produce one Leather and some Cork; the teddy bear produces most of the Cloth we need and the last Leather. Using the auto-scrapper to craft the mod, I could not find any of the 'extras,' namely the cork and the adhesive, in the workbench or in my inventory.

HOWEVER: when I try to craft another pocketed mod, or a stock that requires cork, the crafting interface tells me there is cork and a single adhesive available despite it being intangible. It seems like certain resources are stored somewhere inside the crafting interface and no longer considered items. The reason people report their crafting material counts as remaining the same before and after crafting is probably because the crafting interface counts all the components of the items inside it, as well as any extra generated by scrapping items.

IMPORTANT EDIT - Okay, so, like, five minutes later the extra items showed up inside the workbench and now I can pull them into my inventory. It seems like there's just some really slow updating happening. The Cork and extra Adhesive are all there. I may have done something to trigger the workshop inventory to update, but I'm not sure what; I didn't craft anything else, didn't leave the area, didn't scrap anything.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm willing to bet you have to leave the crafting mode completely and start it up again in order for your resources to refresh.

I was giving myself some caps while crafting a few buildings and it wouldn't recognize my ill-gotten gains unless I closed out and started it up again. I'm willing to bet it snapshots your resources and doesn't expect you to gain any more during the process.

Radge_sl

shitlord
Does anyone have any idea how the settler recruitment actually works? Like do I need multiple radio towers? Or does it just trickle in over time. The one I built has given me only 2 settlers than the original 5 you get and its been a while.
I have one recruitment tower per settlement, and they just VERY slowly trickle in (1-2 per day max). I haven't tried "stacking them" yet though, instead I just keep unlocking new settlements and setting them up. There is 50 different settlements in this game, so sooner you get them up and recruiting the better.

As an aside, I can't imagine doing settlements without the 6 charisma perk. Supply Routes are the only thing that make handling multiple settlements manageable.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Radge, can you tell me how the 6 CH perk works? Does it pool all your scrap into one location? Because I am picking it up next level if it does. Otherwise settlements would be such AIDS.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Just a little bit of a spoiler (not so much, though, I don't think)...

Collect any library books you find. They can be redeemed for tokens at libraries and those tokens can get you stuff like stat-boost mags.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Just a little bit of a spoiler (not so much, though, I don't think)...

Collect any library books you find. They can be redeemed for tokens at libraries and those tokens can get you stuff like stat-boost mags.
Yeah they're "overdue books" lol

Radge_sl

shitlord
Radge, can you tell me how the 6 CH perk works? Does it pool all your scrap into one location? Because I am picking it up next level if it does. Otherwise settlements would be such AIDS.
Well, it has two "levels".

At level one, you can designate a single settler (per settlement) as your Provisioner. They wander the wasteland between your settlements (I don't know if they can die, but might be smart to give them guns/armor) and create a global Supply Chain between all your settlements. So long as a settlement is connected to this Supply Chain, you draw on ALL the banked materials from every single settlement. So no need to drag hundreds of pounds of concrete (or whatever) between settlements.

At level two, you can create stores that passively generate income every day per settlement. Like...hundreds of caps per day PER SETTLEMENT. The more people in your settlement, the bigger the payday.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just got this yesterday and it took forever to install, will finally get to play it tonight. I missed the boat on all previous Fallouts so #4 is going to be my first one. Is there anything a total newbie should read or know before creating my character?

Caliane

not a fan of the slo-mo VATS. targeting in it is a giant PITA.

What should happen is, targeting UI for slots scales with hit %. I keep fucking clicking 20% head/arms shots when I want to just target the 95% bodyshot. Waste like 5seconds clicking and unclicking, just trying to hit the easy body shots.... Assuming I don't time out entirely.

started 5per, 5cha, 7int, 4agil iirc.
feel a bit weak on survival. the quest humans in the first few quests are easy enough. But bloatflys and shit.. lol, fucking wreck me. That skull event boss took a few reloads, and eventually cheesing with line of sight in a house.
pistols and rifles so far are complete shit though. not doing any damage, accuracy not great either. Got a shotgun, that is doing much better. 2-3shots working, instead of 10-15 with pistols..

xzi

Mouthbreather
My friend in mumble has been playing melee/explosives only on the hardest difficulty and lmao. Awful lot of rage going on last night.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I rerolled last night. I was CHA/INT/END heavy and not having a good time. The companion AI and annoying banter made me want to die. Went LCK 9 with mid level STR/PER/AGI and it's going much better.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
pistols and rifles so far are complete shit though. not doing any damage, accuracy not great either. Got a shotgun, that is doing much better. 2-3shots working, instead of 10-15 with pistols..
If you're sticking with pistols, get a 10mm and mod the hell out of it if you aren't lucky enough to find one that's already done.

For rifle, .38 is pea shooter ammo, you'll end up with thousands of it and it won't kill anything other than the most basic raider or feral ghoul. So sell it all and buy .308 from every vendor you come across. Even at a 7:1 exchange rate it's worth the trade, but with enough CH items equipped and a vendor that likes me I've gotten the price on .308 down to 5 caps. Don't use a pipe gun for any longer than you absolutely have to either. Get a hunting rifle, or go to Diamond City ASAP and buy a proper rifle there. In case it's not obvious, all shotguns are affected by the Rifleman perk, which makes them extremely powerful (and also makes Rifleman by far the best of all the different weapon-type perks imo).

Don't overlook the laser musket with the short barrel mod either. That thing becomes super accurate and can wreck enemies such as super mutants that are otherwise fairly bullet-spongy on Survival. Also counts as a rifle, since Rifleman covers both conventional and energy weapons.

And I completely agree about slo-mo VATS. It's every bit as terrible a design decision as I expected it to be.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Just a quick question. I was able to play for a couple hours last night. In the very early part of the game when you go to the first city, I stumbled upon a workbench at what looked like a gas station and it allowed me to make all sorts of things, base building, etc. Is there a tutorial for this later on and I just stumbled across it too early? Or is it more of a figure it out as you go kind of thing? I won't spoiler this because it is SO early in. I am basically just at the part where I entered the first city, went into a museum, cleared some bandits, and then was told to get a fusion core and a mini gun to activate a powered armor suit. So I did that and killed this beast, received two more quests, and that is where I saved and exited.

Also, how can I get the power suit off?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Okay cool Radge. Will be doing that shortly.

@Tuco and whoever else. I haven't ran into legendaries in the location you've ran into them. But I've ran into them all over at other spots. Legendary Mirelurks, raiders, etc mostly. Got a sweet stagger 10MM that I've modded up. Been going pistols until I start doing energy weapons or something else.

Also, using nades is more annoying than it should be I think.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Hold down your use button to exit power armor. X on PS4, A on Xbone, and I think the default on PC is E.

And there is sort of a tutorial for the base building stuff once you finish dealing with the people you saved in Concord. Most of it they leave you to figure out on your own though.

Also, using nades is more annoying than it should be I think.
It's supposed to be annoying, you don't get an arc to see where it's going to go unless you invest in Demolitions Expert (rank 2). Rank 1 lets you craft them, which is quite handy as well.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah there's sort of a tutorial for the settlement stuff just keep playing.

Press and hold the action button (on PC default key is E) to take power suit off. Also make sure to take the fusion core out of it. Best if you take it back up to the gas station or Sanctuary and leave it there fyi.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Is there anything particularly wrong with just 4/4/4/4/4/4/4 the starting stats?

Caliane

if you follow them back to Sanctuary you get a "bit" of a tutorial on base building. but it is barely anything.
But you are supposed to run into both those two homebases right away.
power armor can be stationed at both bases(use the power armor stand), or, its hold x or something to get out at any time.

hold tab for pipboy light btw..

shotguns are rifles? I was wondering about that last night, looking to see what perks would buff shotguns. good call on the ammo, probably the main issue starting off. I modded up my 10mm a bit, and a pipe gun for my rifle. Didnt have enough ammo to make use of a .308 rifle.

more annoying UI things.
Sometimes tab is back out. sometimes Esc is back out.