Fallout 4

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I feel like Luck is a dead tree for me just because of how crit works. Maybe it'll be better when VATS isn't awful, but for now I'm looking forward to a mod that unfucks crit.
The new system is actually pretty powerful. Couple ranks of Crit Banker, better critical damage, and action boy from the AGI tree, and you're able to selectively target when you crit to maximize the effects of them.

I actually really like the new system.

As I said previously, I never use VATS at long range, but in close quarters VATS + crit banker is the biggest oh shit button ever.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
So after getting murdered by fucking Bloatflies for 10 minutes straight while looking for tatos (I screwed up bad with an untimely quicksave), those dmg reduction perks in the End line started looking really good. Can anyone explain why then End is a junk stat? Serious question.

Also fuck Survival. I'm a complete scrub apparently... hats off to ya's.
the bloatflies were a surprise for me, they are tougher than they were in FO3.

hodj, tell your daughter to take it easy for my confidence's sake. Or tell her to come baby sit my wife and kid so I can get my fallout on.
I am also playing on Survival, Bloatflies aren't that tough if you use VATS to aim for their wings, usually 2-3 shots kill for me (lvl7 here)
smile.png

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Got to lvl 12 before I remember to use I could use VATS.

Super fun game, i spent hours cleaning my settlements. If they made a disaster clean up game I would buy it.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Tuco what is it about VATS that makes you think its awful?

How many ranks do you have any one of the weapon perks like gunslinger/rifleman?

What about Action Boy, did you take it at all?

xzi

Mouthbreather
The only annoying thing about VATS for me is that it's delayed time rather than freezetime, making certain things hard as fuck to target. It's only an issue on smaller enemies though like those mosquito looking cocksuckers, targeting their wings 500 times before I can target their body.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Read once and you have it permanently. There's a magazine stand, similar to the bobblehead stand, that you can build on your settlement and house them, and they will be on display.
Thanks. Do they stack? Since it seems you run across some of them quite a lot.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The only annoying thing about VATS for me is that it's delayed time rather than freezetime, making certain things hard as fuck to target. It's only an issue on smaller enemies though like those mosquito looking cocksuckers, targeting their wings 500 times before I can target their body.
The funny thing about this is that the time slow effect rather than the time pause effect is what like 90% of the people bitching about VATS in previous games were demanding.

I agree, that aspect is objectively worse than the previous incarnation, and it goes to show the people that have bitched about it endlessly were fucking wrong.

kevincheese

Lord Nagafen Raider
I wish I could just use VATS as regular bullettime. I hate targeting with VATS, especially with the improved gunplay in this game. It feels pretty good but it's easy to die fast on the harder difficulties. I'm getting two-shot a lot on very hard, playing a sneaky sniper type right now. Ran into two named dogs with a guy, and those things fucked me up.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Tuco what is it about VATS that makes you think its awful?

How many ranks do you have any one of the weapon perks like gunslinger/rifleman?

What about Action Boy, did you take it at all?
I have 1 in actionBoy and whatever my current max is in rifleman/commando (they just improve damage right?).

The reason I rarely use it is because:
1. It has bad accuracy at mid range, even at ~6 meters (just outside melee range) it's like 60% on head shots. I have 4 Perception.
2. I don't have enough AP to kill most enemies or even criticall wound them.(I have some... 7? agi).
3. The recharge rate is so slow that unless I duck out and recharge it's like a once per fight ability.
4. The delay before VATS activates+ the selection time + the time it takes to execute the sequenc + the delay after it finishes is enough that I can take a lot of damage at mid/close range if there are multiple enemies. (I can work around this).

My typical sequence is to pick off enemies with my hunting rifle if I can, if enemies are midrange go full auto at their face with my .38/10mm ammo, if enemies get close pull out my shotty. Depending on the circumstance I'll hit VATS with my shotgun, and use my AP there, but for now it's rarely better than just me manually shooting.

I can see it being very powerful later in the game when I have more AP, it charges faster and I have gear that reduces AP cost (the -40% on weapons is ridic, but I don't know if that can happen o nranged weapons, I've seen it twice on melee thus far). That plus the crit abilities will make it very powerful.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
BTW: I'm not complaining about the VATS or the difficulty, just saying it's underpowered for me now compared to me just free-shooting and I expect it to get much more powerful later when I have better gear and more stats. I expect it to be just like stealth in that aspect. Also note that my FPS skills are on point, so it's not a fair comparison to this neutered VATS system.

I actually wish there was a step beyond Survivalist, or rather, that the enemy AI was better / had more abilities. I'm used to my modded FONV playthrough where enemies were much more brutal and clever.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Softshell Mirelurk gives me lot more trouble than cute little fly, I recommend shotgun for those fuckers.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
My stats (with bobble heads + 1 perception from a pair of patrolman's sunglasses I'm wearing)

S: 3 P: 6 E: 3 C: 6 I: 6: A: 6 L: 8

Relevant perks for combat:

Action Boy (Rank 1) Rifleman and Gunslinger (Both Rank 3) Bloody Mess, Better Crits, Crit Banker (All Rank 1) Astoundingly Awesome (+5 Action Points, comes from an Astoundingly Awesome book #8)

VATS works fine for me from close up to solid medium range. Only long range is it pointless, and then I use a sniper rifle with a scope and use Action Points to hold breath while shooting.

I dunno man. I think its your Perception being a 4 that's making it not work great.

A 60% chance of hitting in VATS hits way more than half the time, btw. Occassionally a get a string of misses, if I miss more than two shots in VATS in a row, I just cancel it out to save the AP.

I use a mix of pistols, rifles, shotguns and laser weapons.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Is there any way to build a water purifier(not the basic pump) in the first town/settlement? The item description says that it has to be place IN water, but there's no water within the boundaries of the settlement.

I don't want to start jacking with a second settlement yet just for the sake of getting purified water for free...(and also have to transport it from that settlement back to my main one)

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is there any way to build a water purifier(not the basic pump) in the first town/settlement? The item description says that it has to be place IN water, but there's no water within the boundaries of the settlement.

I don't want to start jacking with a second settlement yet just for the sake of getting purified water for free...(and also have to transport it from that settlement back to my main one)
If you mean sanctuary then the river you first cross over using the bride is within the boundaries. I dropped mine right in there and tab power lines to it.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Only level 7, but survival mode isn't too bad. Most of the time(as it seems I have crappy weapons/armor) when I come up to a legendary/named I can't straight up fight, but have to use Z-axis and other shenanigans to get them down.

Early game seems like the hardest, since watching people like level 15ish who mow through things, via more perks, armor/weapons etc.