Fallout 4

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Apparently if you placeatme a workbench you can build anywhere. It won't show up as a settlement, but if you're into that sort of thing...fuck it.
I had been wondering if there was ever an item you could unlock or carry with you that would let you salvage stuff on the go. I should probably NOT do this so I don't end up scrubbing the entire map clean :p

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Add Sneak 5 to the useless perks list. When they say "distant" enemies they apparently mean like a mile away (or it could just be straight up broken and literally have no effect at all). I took the perk and tested it by shooting someone from the max possible range that I can actually hit someone with a long recon scoped sniper rifle, then 'engaged stealth' and nothing happened. Still stayed on CAUTION for the normal duration it takes for them to forget about me.

According to the description, Sneak 4 is the last rank that actually makes it harder to be detected, so there's no point at all to taking rank 5.

Edit: Ok, I figured out exactly what it does. If you've done something completely retarded and managed to get to DANGER when you're still like 50 yards away from some enemies, you can toggle sneak and it will drop you to CAUTION immediately...... except the enemies still don't stop shooting you, lol. Time to reload my save just before I took the perk, this shit is worthless.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Any weapon is workable if you take the damage perk for it. Single shot Rifles and Shotguns are clearly the best, due to the synergy with stealth and relative easy availability. Maybe heavy weapons would be off the market, since they are fairly scarce (at least early) and ammo is often tough to obtain. Mele is actually a lot of fun, it just requires you to either abuse power armor or stealth to get in range alive (at least on survival). With how plentiful they are, I would say you could probably rely on explosives as a main weapon if you wanted. Pistol is definitely the most viable weapon type after rifles, though. The perk is easy to get, the guns and ammo are plentiful, and you can max out the mods without max gun nut perk. My next play though I am going to try an explosives/mele/pistol build, because my wife has been doing that and it looks like a lot of fun. Only bummer is I miss being able to use VATS to toss grenades....

Powered armor, meh. Seven suits in my home base and a safe full of fusion cores, and I generally only use it for a story fight (taking the castle) where I feel I will need it or to finish clearing/haul loot when I find a suit. I have not been looking for it or advancing the main quest and I already have a modded up 50 suit and a X-01 with a couple pieces missing that I randomly came across. Not sure if I am interested enough in armorer this play through to do the jump jet tactic or not, but Tesla chest frying the trash adds in certain fights has been fun.

Also, Vorph is 100% correct about the sniper perk being a complete waste. Two stabilize arm mods (easy to unlock, especially on leather armor) pretty much negates all the weapon sway.

As for Asbestos vs anti explosive, I happen to like being able to take hits from energy weapons and having a lot of energy defense will make tackling Forged and Institute Synths a lot easier, but for just about anyone else the anti explosion mod is likely superior. I personally just dart to a new spot and re-stealth, so its not as critical for me (actually been slotting Rad Defense for the fucking cultists) but if you are engaging Supermutants and Raiders a lot at lower levels, especially without abusing stealth, you kind of have to have it to offset the infinite grenade cheese. I will say that while it does not help for the grenades themselves, having Toughness and stacking over 100 DR makes you able to handle incidental fire a lot better, but I understand why he thinks that perk is a waste. I happen to like it, since it makes me less dependent on a DR based main clothing slot and makes me very tanky, but if you are a full on reloading stealth cheeser, its probably not essential. If you fuck up and play through the mistake a lot like I do, its golden, though.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Add Sneak 5 to the useless perks list. When they say "distant" enemies they apparently mean like a mile away (or it could just be straight up broken and literally have no effect at all). I took the perk and tested it by shooting someone from the max possible range that I can actually hit someone with a long recon scoped sniper rifle, then 'engaged stealth' and nothing happened. Still stayed on CAUTION for the normal duration it takes for them to forget about me.

According to the description, Sneak 4 is the last rank that actually makes it harder to be detected, so there's no point at all to taking rank 5.

Edit: Ok, I figured out exactly what it does. If you've done something completely retarded and managed to get to DANGER when you're still like 50 yards away from some enemies, you can toggle sneak and it will drop you to CAUTION immediately...... except the enemies still don't stop shooting you, lol. Time to reload my save just before I took the perk, this shit is worthless.
Enemies fire blind now if they are in caution state, sometimes. This is especially true if you melon pop a few of their pals in view of them and they can't locate you. I think its supposed to be them getting frustrated and freaking out, which is another option for their behavior other than abject retreat. I actually like that addition to the AI. I wasn't going to go rank 5 anyhow, since I like the enemies to be in caution mode and emerging from hiding to look for me most of the time. Besides, with enough sneak and light armor its easy enough to simply duck out of sight and go into hiding, provided you don't have a companion with you of course.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So I finally head on over to Nexus Mods to start throwing a few useful mods on the game, like the full text dialogue choices, the tweaked graphics etc.

I decide to look around and see what all is available, and I think the 2nd or 3rd most popular mod to date is of course, "GLORIOUS FEMALE NUDE MOD"

I don't know why I didn't expect that to be one of the most popular mods, immediately. Never change, internet...never change

Phelps McManus

<Silver Donator>
There's a loading screen for Lone Wanderer that specifically says no companion or dog.
That is fine with me anyway. While clearing the Corvega plant last night, I lost track of the number of times I had to jump over Dogmeat. Going back to Sanctuary to store junk after clears is less annoying to me than pathing obstacles, so I ditched him.

I will miss some of the little things, like sprinting away from a Legendary super mutant and hiding behind a building.
[ CAUTION ] [--- CAUTION ---] [------ CAUTION ------] see Dogmeat run around the corner, followed by "Here Doggy, Doggy, Doggy!" on my speakers [DETECTED]

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Enemies fire blind now if they are in caution state, sometimes. This is especially true if you melon pop a few of their pals in view of them and they can't locate you. I think its supposed to be them getting frustrated and freaking out, which is another option for their behavior other than abject retreat. I actually like that addition to the AI. I wasn't going to go rank 5 anyhow, since I like the enemies to be in caution mode and emerging from hiding to look for me most of the time. Besides, with enough sneak and light armor its easy enough to simply duck out of sight and go into hiding, provided you don't have a companion with you of course.
Yea, I still get sneak attacks on people that are blind firing in my direction, so they definitely aren't aggrod exactly.

Edit: Dogmeat definitely seems to have a different detected bar than me. He's been in fights with guys 15 feet away from me and I'm still "hidden", so don't know why you would be caught by that unless they were gonna see you anyway

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Question about Covenant

Is making this into a settlement pointless? I sided against them and killed them all. However the turrets are still up and don't count towards the defence and if you destroy them, the remains stay there and you can't build there. If you build your own turrets they attack each other and while you can shut them off....they are in all the prime spots.

Also everything is still red. If it gets settlers and I pick up anything, they all attack me, even though the place is mine and I can build there. All the beds are still owned as well.

I looked online and say like one or two others report something like this but wasn't sure if there was a fix for it. Anyone else encounter this?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Prolly a bug. I haven't done shit with that town, except open the front gate, so I dunno for sure.

Sounds like a bug though.

There's a console command that let's you set objects to ownership by you. Might work as a quick fix solution, I dunno for sure.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

that's funny. Vanish is typically the end-game stealth ability that makes stealth really OP since it takes it from an initiator enabler to a sustained tactile attack ability.

I have a lot of found memories playing baldur's gate where I'd sneak attack, hide behind a doorway, tree, building, whatever, pop stealth then sneak attack again.

Izuldan_sl

shitlord
Regarding Covenant, I'm in the same spot as you Tarrant. Same issues since I took it over, it is a nice settlement considering the walls, but I haven't gotten around to building up my settlements yet so not worried about Covenant currently, it's on the backburner.

I've read though:

If instead you side with the scientist lady, then the entire town becomes your allies. In that case I think the town becomes more viable as a settlement. Will have to try that on the next playthrough.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yes, whoever was responsible for Covenant design and QA should be fucking ashamed of themselves. The whole place is completely broken if you choose to do it the obvious/correct way (or at least that's how I see it, and I would wager the vast majority of other players do the same).

I fixed the beds with setownership in the console. The doors will lock constantly, which is basically infinite xp if you really want to bother, or you can just pick up the keys and unlock them all the time. The turrets will never count towards the defense no matter what you do. If you build new ones they shoot the existing ones, but there is wreckage left behind which prevents you from placing new ones on the same spots. You can use the console to delete them entirely, the command for that is "disable".

If you pick up any of the red items, your settlers will attack you. Clean it up before placing a radio tower if you really want to use the town. As a bonus, bring MacCready over.

Edit: And yes, if you side with the nutters then the town is allied and works like every other settlement.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
For that town, you need to loot everything before you put the radio tower in. The turrets don't count as defense, but they do defend the town when attacked (until they are destroyed), so you can cheap out and put in some watch towers to reach the desired defense value, or leave it open to attack and let the turrets do all the work when you come to defend it. Aside from a lack of open water, its probably one of the best places to settle. Also, if you are looking to max faction on companions who like stealing, that town is an easy way to do that.

Edit- Vorph beat me to the punch.

Rime

<Donor>
Anyone know a way to flush out a synth in a settlement? My happiness at Sanctuary keeps dropping to the low 40's so I know there's one of the fuckers there, but I don't know how to figure out who it is without the Awareness perk.
Ran into the same issue in Oberland. A Synth had fallen through the world. Even with no-clip on, could not get to him and kill him. So I put everything away, sent all of the settlers elsewhere, then let them destroy it.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
For that town, you need to loot everything before you put the radio tower in. The turrets don't count as defense, but they do defend the town when attacked (until they are destroyed), so you can cheap out and put in some watch towers to reach the desired defense value, or leave it open to attack and let the turrets do all the work when you come to defend it. Aside from a lack of open water, its probably one of the best places to settle. Also, if you are looking to max faction on companions who like stealing, that town is an easy way to do that.

Edit- Vorph beat me to the punch.
It's true they defend but you don't get the happiness bonus from them.

I think I'll just wait for them to hopefully patch it before I build it up because that place is perfect and I'd like to use it at some point.

Thanks for the responses guys.
smile.png

khorum

Murder Apologist

On that.., does the chameleon item effect stack or is it even worthwhile on armor? I have 2 pieces that have the chameleon but I was curious if it stacked at all. I haven't found better pieces for the slot so I haven't replaced them yet tho.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
There's a loading screen for Lone Wanderer that specifically says no companion or dog.

------------------

Anyone know a way to flush out a synth in a settlement? My happiness at Sanctuary keeps dropping to the low 40's so I know there's one of the fuckers there, but I don't know how to figure out who it is without the Awareness perk.
Oh shit, I didn't even know this could happen. (with the synths messing with your towns)

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Question about VATS...

What % is used for calculating your shot, the % shown at the time you click on the body part, the % shown at the time you actually start firing(once all the selection is done) or the % shown when the actual shots are going off?

I ask because the % can change drastically on moving targets(especially targeting a small area like their head). I've had a feral ghoul lunge at me and fall down and in the span of about 10 seconds in VATS the hit % on it's head goes from 0 - 80% and back to 0% as they contort while standing up. I wasn't sure of the ideal time to get the optimal hit %

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Oh shit, I didn't even know this could happen. (with the synths messing with your towns)
Me either. I am stuck at 95% and followed the guide to a T. I guess I gotta get this perk. Let me know what you did here or PM.

Funkor

Molten Core Raider

------------------

Check all settler inventory with Pickpocket and see if anyone is holding anything suspicious that makes them stand out might work.